Home Renovation/Construction

Not in any homes that I lived in. No way.

TCS's mom and sister had carpet in their kitchens in MI. :eek3:

Oh wow, thanks to God, I never live in properties with carpet in kitchen and bathroom.

I remember about barber carpet in living room when I was baby and this carpet was too rough. Barber carpet was popular in 80s and 90s.

I lived in military housing - they used hardwood floor for all rooms, beside bathroom as in 1993.

I remember some condos and mobil homes had carpet in bathrooms back in the 70's... but I havent incountered any homes recently... today most have vinyl or ceramic tiles.

Some houses have hardwood floor in bathroom, is it bad idea?

Oh wow, thanks to God, I never live in properties with carpet in kitchen and bathroom.

I remember about barber carpet in living room when I was baby and this carpet was too rough. Barber carpet was popular in 80s and 90s.
Berber carpet is also bad for families with cats and dogs. If their claws start a snag, it will continue to unravel. It's also very dense so if there is a urine spot that soaked in it's much harder to extract from the bottom layer (pad).

I lived in military housing - they used hardwood floor for all rooms, beside bathroom as in 1993.
That's nicer than what we had in housing. We had all tile floors.

Some houses have hardwood floor in bathroom, is it bad idea?
It could be a maintenance issue with so much moisture. I have hardwood flooring in my powder room but it doesn't get wet because there's no tub or shower in there.

all houses today have wood floors, so if its real wood floors and finished correctly then it will last for years. The new laminate ( fake wood flooring) it says not recommended in bathrooms as the humidity causes it to warp and buckle. They make a vinyl fake wood flooring for bathrooms

all houses today have wood floors,
Not in the South. Most of our houses are built on concrete slabs, no basements. Some are built on crawl spaces. Carpeting and other flooring is put directly on the concrete or on padding then the concrete.

so if its real wood floors and finished correctly then it will last for years. The new laminate ( fake wood flooring) it says not recommended in bathrooms as the humidity causes it to warp and buckle. They make a vinyl fake wood flooring for bathrooms
They also make very stylish floor tiles that look like wood-grained planks.

Berber carpet is also bad for families with cats and dogs. If their claws start a snag, it will continue to unravel. It's also very dense so if there is a urine spot that soaked in it's much harder to extract from the bottom layer (pad).

That's nicer than what we had in housing. We had all tile floors.

It could be a maintenance issue with so much moisture. I have hardwood flooring in my powder room but it doesn't get wet because there's no tub or shower in there.

Yes, the berber carpet has been replaced with modern loop and pattern carpet that made with nylon instead of olefin, but not ideal for pets. Some homeowners put loop or pattern carpet on hall and stairs due to better durability. The kids today are lucky and they don't have to suffer to play on rough carpet as we did when we were younger. The frieze carpet is popular for children. I never forgot about rug burn when we played rough.

Yes, I went thorough 2 different houses on military base, one brick apartment in North Carolina and other big white house in Quantico in NoVA. The housing in Quantico is a lot nicer and bigger, but sadly, all of them were torn down about 10 years ago and replaced with new modern housing. I went to Quantico in 2011 and it isn't same anymore, also new commissary is much nicer. The old houses that we used to live in are all gone, even old playground too.

Interesting, we have hardwood floor in half bathroom aka powder room.

all houses today have wood floors, so if its real wood floors and finished correctly then it will last for years. The new laminate ( fake wood flooring) it says not recommended in bathrooms as the humidity causes it to warp and buckle. They make a vinyl fake wood flooring for bathrooms

In my state, the carpet is common in bedroom and family room so it could expand to living room, hall and dining room in some houses. In our subdivision, they use oak hardwood for kitchen, foyer, living room and dining room but some homeowners opt in carpet for living room and dining room via custom home design. The builders aren't good job with finishing on oak hardwood so it means we have to refinish soon.

In old time, I used to live in house with whole house carpet, beside vinyl and tiles in kitchen and bathroom so the house built in 1950s and same goes with my old grandma's house.

Not in the South. Most of our houses are built on concrete slabs, no basements. Some are built on crawl spaces. Carpeting and other flooring is put directly on the concrete or on padding then the concrete.

They also make very stylish floor tiles that look like wood-grained planks.

Same with Alabama too.

The basement with attached to garage is common in central and north Alabama for medium family house due to above the sea level.

Garden houses aka smaller houses have no basement.

As I remember it, what I had done went down and then it continued to fill to the point of overfilling. It was one of those times when I was already late and rushed out. The small bathroom had "kitchen" carpet in it and it was soaked to the point of squishy puddles. This was probably back in the 1990's; I don't remember the exact date.

Ah, now I got it. Thanks. :)

No carpeting in bathrooms or kitchens for me.

I'm sure that won't fit into Jiro's clean, simple design either. :giggle:

Me neither! What was there was put in by the previous owner and I had not yet changed it as it was in good shape at that time.

Not in any homes that I lived in. No way.

TCS's mom and sister had carpet in their kitchens in MI. :eek3:

I was looking for an apartment to rent years ago and there was a w/w carpet in the kitchen and it was disgusting ! I got fed up with trying to find a decent place to rent so I brought a house . I agree it's :eek3:
I really don't like w/w carpet , I like wooden floors better.

Yes, I went thorough 2 different houses on military base, one brick apartment in North Carolina and other big white house in Quantico in NoVA. The housing in Quantico is a lot nicer and bigger, but sadly, all of them were torn down about 10 years ago and replaced with new modern housing. I went to Quantico in 2011 and it isn't same anymore, also new commissary is much nicer. The old houses that we used to live in are all gone, even old playground too.

I have just left the part of the above post on that I am interested in.

Foxrac
Were you living at Quantico at the time the Lustron's (steel houses) were there and in use? If so, what is your memory of living in one? My understanding is that most were torn down in 2007.

My interest comes from owning a Lustron Winchester Deluxe 02. Of the few postings I have found of photos the Quantico ones appear to be a different model.

In relation to Berber carpets - in the previous house we had beige Berber in the family room, which was actually the new addition of what was a 1950 home. We were in that room all the time as a group - up to 3 dogs<including over the years 3 puppies> and two people at one time - as that was off the kitchen and had tv and fireplace. That family room carpet was indeed terrible with the dogs and the urine remark is right on.....I wanted to tear that out but we never had the money or know-how.

So far as the kitchen carpet, in that old house <above> and the house we're in now - no carpet in the kitchen, which is good. In the house of my childhood, we had a greenish carpet in the kitchen and a yellow-ish carpet in the one household bathroom. That toilet was always flooding too. When I was a baby and young child <actually probably up til about 8th grade> we would have qualified for food stamps so there was nothing available for home repairs; we had a family friend who was also a plumber and carpenter come and sometimes help with the toilet and he made some shelves for my room. But the bathroom carpet was disgusting - i think eventually my parents did just have the friend rip it out and my mom got some little rug or something to go there.

The kitchen carpet was there always, when my folks and i moved to a different house about the time I was starting college, that same carpet was there. I remember one time years before that, one of my folks was cooking something on the stove; it started to boil over and whichever parent - grabbed a towel and the pot to remove it - the towel caught the flame from the burner and got on fire. I was maybe 8, sitting at the kitchen table with a friend, drawing or coloring or something. My parent threw down the flaming towel on the floor and dumped water on it - the flame did go out.

Since Im a clean freak, I dont mind carpets ( not in kitchen or baths ) but in the rest of the house its fine. I like the warmth of it naturally because of the foam padding and carpet itself, the acoustic absorption and sound deadening effects. Besides I like to be comfortable with my shoes off in the house.
Since this new house has an attached garage, wont need a mud room, even that the laundry room is right inside the entrance, just leave shoes there and never have to walk on the carpet with shoes on. Carpet is really nice if you get a good quality and brand.... you get what you pay for, so you go cheap, you get crap that wont last.

I have just left the part of the above post on that I am interested in.

Foxrac
Were you living at Quantico at the time the Lustron's (steel houses) were there and in use? If so, what is your memory of living in one? My understanding is that most were torn down in 2007.

My interest comes from owning a Lustron Winchester Deluxe 02. Of the few postings I have found of photos the Quantico ones appear to be a different model.

I talked to my mother and she said no, she said that we lived in big white painted, house that built in 1920 that used with wood. She said Lustron homes were across in different neighborhood and they were smaller in size.

Yes, you are correct about all old houses, including Lustron homes in Quantico were demolished in 2006-2007.

Since Im a clean freak, I dont mind carpets ( not in kitchen or baths ) but in the rest of the house its fine. I like the warmth of it naturally because of the foam padding and carpet itself, the acoustic absorption and sound deadening effects. Besides I like to be comfortable with my shoes off in the house.
Since this new house has an attached garage, wont need a mud room, even that the laundry room is right inside the entrance, just leave shoes there and never have to walk on the carpet with shoes on. Carpet is really nice if you get a good quality and brand.... you get what you pay for, so you go cheap, you get crap that wont last.

lol... you aren't alone, I'm clean freak too.

The shoe could create a traffic pattern on carpet that could cause bloom (temporary matting, untwist the fiber), even in premium carpet selection, but vacuum usually fix. If you have polyester or olefin so the damage is permanent so vacuum will not fix at all.

The carpet inspectors recommended nylon and wool for durability but thicker carpets are more prone to matting and crushing so it means need to be vacuumed frequently.

Some vacuums are too aggressive for carpet, even expensive premium selection too, that cause fuzzy. Many carpet stores don't recommend Dyson and it is notoriously aggressive vacuum. I use Oreck vacuum.

I never bought cheap carpet in my life but sometime, bad selection of expensive carpet cause a lot of problem because not all carpet styles are suitable for high traffic.

lol... you aren't alone, I'm clean freak too.

The shoe could create a traffic pattern on carpet that could cause bloom (temporary matting, untwist the fiber), even in premium carpet selection, but vacuum usually fix. If you have polyester or olefin so the damage is permanent so vacuum will not fix at all.

The carpet inspectors recommended nylon and wool for durability but thicker carpets are more prone to matting and crushing so it means need to be vacuumed frequently.

Some vacuums are too aggressive for carpet, even expensive premium selection too, that cause fuzzy. Many carpet stores don't recommend Dyson and it is notoriously aggressive vacuum. I use Oreck vacuum.

I never bought cheap carpet in my life but sometime, bad selection of expensive carpet cause a lot of problem because not all carpet styles are suitable for high traffic.
Yep, Ive been researching and stopping in at some carpet shops, some carpets lasts years with no effects to wear, others matt down and permanent damage. Ive always bought plush nylon carpets and never had issues, have it in the bedroom here at my parents that I remodeled and staying in til I move and it still looks new. I really like this carpet and think I will get a better grade of the same and have it installed in my new house ( if/when) I get one... hopefully soon. BUT, I am debating a low pile, since my sons legos and other small toys get lost in it since its a tall twist pyle... Ill have an entire 3 bed with walk ins, hall with 2 closets and a living/dining combo on first floor, stair case and large family/game room same size, directly under the living/dining area in the basement. BUT I may get a wood burner installed in the basement?

Yep, Ive been researching and stopping in at some carpet shops, some carpets lasts years with no effects to wear, others matt down and permanent damage. Ive always bought plush nylon carpets and never had issues, have it in the bedroom here at my parents that I remodeled and staying in til I move and it still looks new. I really like this carpet and think I will get a better grade of the same and have it installed in my new house ( if/when) I get one... hopefully soon. BUT, I am debating a low pile, since my sons legos and other small toys get lost in it since its a tall twist pyle... Ill have an entire 3 bed with walk ins, hall with 2 closets and a living/dining combo on first floor, stair case and large family/game room same size, directly under the living/dining area in the basement. BUT I may get a wood burner installed in the basement?

Yes, I spent a lot of time to researching on carpet after I bought wrong carpet selection and that carpet was good quality, but not for high traffic. I got carpet replaced last year (in June) under warranty due bad cornrowing and it still looks new after vacuum, but bloom can be noticeable when you look closely on carpet pile and it is normal wear.

I had hardwood floor in bedroom for most of my childhood and I didn't want carpet because they weren't good for my toys to stand on floor and I had large Playmobil collection.

I agree with you about toys got lost in high twist pile carpet (that's called frieze) and my parents love frieze carpet so I had to find lost coins that I dropped on frieze carpet. I think it is best interest to let your child to pick a selection whichever is comfortable to him. The small toys could dislodge the vacuum.

Do you remember about Shaw Caress? They are pretty softer carpet but cornrowing is part of drawback. Cashmere IV has 100 oz and it is one of most plush carpet on market. Stainmaster carpet has issue with dye that cause fade when you expose the sun on carpet from the window, but it isn't issue if you had bright color or white.

For me, I picked Tuftex plush nylon carpet with fleck color in my bedroom and I'm satisfied with performance of carpet.

I've got a question. Not exactly for home renovation etc but could be useful (I need to measure from my PC to the router...curious). But.. I don't have a tape measure or ruler- not about to go rummaging in the garage right now with people sleeping (even though they claim they never hear me skulking about downstairs...).

Does anyone have tricks or ideas how to measure a length of the floor (a rather long one) easily without the benefit of a ruler or measuring tape?

well if your feet are about 12" or smaller you can go heel/toe and count the steps you take... or if you have tile floors that are 12" square count them.
your armspan with both arms out is equivalent to your height....fingertip to fingertip

Sonocativo, wood burner (I usually call wood stove) is great idea in Missouri, but in my state, it will be overkill for mild winter.

Most people put tiles on square before install wood stove in living room or basement.

well if your feet are about 12" or smaller you can go heel/toe and count the steps you take... or if you have tile floors that are 12" square count them.
your armspan with both arms out is equivalent to your height....fingertip to fingertip
I thought about my feet but they're smaller than average (and I got ribbed about it at a wedding I was in lol).

I'll wait til tomorrow to snag one from Dad then go get a cable (if it's cheap enough...)- gotta go out anyway.

If you got a string that is long enough, you could use that to measure room. Stretch string to room from wall to wall then wrap it around ruler then count it.

Example: room is 4 feet long, string would wrap around 12 inch ruler 2 times. If using yard stick, it would go around one end then another foot which makes it 4 feet

I've got a question. Not exactly for home renovation etc but could be useful (I need to measure from my PC to the router...curious). But.. I don't have a tape measure or ruler- not about to go rummaging in the garage right now with people sleeping (even though they claim they never hear me skulking about downstairs...).

Does anyone have tricks or ideas how to measure a length of the floor (a rather long one) easily without the benefit of a ruler or measuring tape?

I thought about my feet but they're smaller than average (and I got ribbed about it at a wedding I was in lol).

I'll wait til tomorrow to snag one from Dad then go get a cable (if it's cheap enough...)- gotta go out anyway.

Last edited:
Back