Home Renovation/Construction

I have a 1-1/2 gallon flush in my parents house when I remodeled their bath, its a 2 hole flush and it will take down a Boeing 727...lol
I was amazed at the power it flushes at and its quick too, no whirlpool, just whoosh and its gone. So, yes, youre going to pay some $$$ for a good one and I think this one was $450+ Kohler I believe was the brand name. Its an enlongated toilet so willy doent get a contusion...lol

hhhmmmm..... I'm at Kohler website but I'm not sure which one you're referring to. Is it electric-powered???

http://www.us.kohler.com/us/How-to-...800391.htm?locale=en_US&subSecId=CNT110400089

Do you notice that carpet made from recycled fiber isn't durable as carpet with new fiber?

I bought one of carpet with recycled nylon fiber, of course, they are more softer but easily crushed and matted, turned into ugly with cornrowing so I replaced under warranty with different carpet with new fiber, not recycled and it is a lot better, but it is more rough. I take durability over softer.

It isn't easy to find carpet that made with new fiber since most of them are using recycled fiber.

it is easy to find. just buy an expensive carpet :lol:

it is easy to find. just buy an expensive carpet :lol:

Are you sure? Not for Shaw brand - they mostly switched to recycled fibers. :lol:

To get replacement under warranty, you are limited to one brand that you bought at first place.

Do you notice that carpet made from recycled fiber isn't durable as carpet with new fiber?

I bought one of carpet with recycled nylon fiber, of course, they are more softer but easily crushed and matted, turned into ugly with cornrowing so I replaced under warranty with different carpet with new fiber, not recycled and it is a lot better, but it is more rough. I take durability over softer.

It isn't easy to find carpet that made with new fiber since most of them are using recycled fiber.
Cheap carpet when vacummed it will fill the vac with fuzz instantly... hate that... you get what you pay for.

Cheap carpet when vacummed it will fill the vac with fuzz instantly... hate that... you get what you pay for.

That's true for polyester and cheap nylon carpet. I had old nylon with staple yarn so my vacuum got filled with fuzz, also cheap carpets have issue with static.

I bought Shaw Anso Nylon carpet, that's premium brand but they use recycled fiber for most selection, especially Color Wall so I found different one with Anso Nylon that use new fiber - a lot better, no more cornrowing.

I heard about Mohawk SmartStrand has issue with cornrowing because they are softer and most vacuum will not able to roll easily. Shaw Caress has cornrowing issue due to softer and they use recycled fiber too.

Polyester carpet has a lot of issue - they got crushed and matted instantly.

Most new houses come with cheap carpet - they are rough like walk on rough concrete.

If you want to carpeting on stairs, I recommended you to get short pile or loop pile (it is ideal if you don't have pet) with denser, nylon carpet.

You don't want to deal with crushed and matted carpet on stairs due to intense traffic.

Loop carpet isn't good for anyone with pets, also I remember about barber carpets in 80s and 90s, pets used nail to pull loop up.

I am not sure how far back it was but I did miss the bit on lack of a "door" on the one with the glass shower walls but no door.

When it comes to toilets I much prefer the lower ones! When I needed a new one a few years ago I stayed with the lower style and a round bowl. I did reuse an existing seat that was (and is) is in good shape that I preferred to what came with the toilet and stored the new one. Also I am part of a group that sews blankets (similar to Linus but we do several different sizes) and meets at my church. We currently only have women coming. So . . . since the men's room for our Fellowship Hall still has the old toilets in it I have been going in there since I find them so much more comfortable.

If you want to carpeting on stairs, I recommended you to get short pile or loop pile (it is ideal if you don't have pet) with denser, nylon carpet.

You don't want to deal with crushed and matted carpet on stairs due to intense traffic.

Loop carpet isn't good for anyone with pets, also I remember about barber carpets in 80s and 90s, pets used nail to pull loop up.
my parents always bought expensive Wool carpet. No carpets on stairs, slip/fall hazards.

I don't trust 3-gal toilet. It's not gonna be able to flush down my dump :lol:

it's really really really silly to flush it twice or 3 to completely flush it away. I guess I'll have to smuggle in a toilet from Canada. I do like one of those commercial toilets where its flush has jet-powered like strength.

People had to have a low flow toilet put in at my condo or send up paying a higher water bill. The water bill is divided 4 ways , I already had a low flow toilet so I got discount on my bill and people that didn't had to pay more until they had new toilet installed. The water bills are really high out here and we have heating bills to pay so some peoples get a flow toilet to save $$. I only have to flush mine toilet once .

the reason why I don't like "enclosure" is because I like everything efficient and simple... and also for safety reason.

in my previous home, my bathroom shower had glass sliding doors. we just moved into our new house and one day, the wheel got dislodged. as I tried to put it back into place... the whole glass door shattered into bazillion pieces. all I was holding on my hands was a door handle bar. I was shocked and confused. my hand and foot started to bleed and the blood puddle was getting slowly bigger and bigger. the bathroom looked like a murder crime scene with bloody footprint on floor and a tub full of blood. My dad rushed me to ER.
I remember that story. I guess that traumatized you forever against shower doors.

river-rocks-bathroom-floor-with-wall-mounted-toilet.jpg
Nice pictures. The pebble floor in the top picture is what we have in our shower. You might think it's uncomfortable but it's not. They're rounded and flat enough to feel really good, and they reduce slipping. I love my pebbles! :giggle:

I agree with you 100% toilets overflow all the time when clogged ( reason for the new law and all for the 3 gallon or less per flush compared to the older 5 gallon or more per flush.
I've never had a toilet overflow.

right but I'm saying that it's inconceivable to me that in this modern time, it is not a standard for a bathroom to have a drain hole because like you said - just hose'em down and you're done. that is logical and practical to me.

a bathroom is probably the most often used in the house and also the most filthy one. how else can you clean it quickly and easily??? and plus - the likelihood is high that a bathroom would get flooded. a drain hole would solve everything.
We keep things cleaned up as we go along, so the bathrooms are never dirty. Maybe that's are habit from our Navy days. When we used bathrooms (heads), we had to leave it as clean as if no one used it.

As far as mold prevention, we wipe down the shower after use with a squeegee and leave the exhaust fan running for 20-30 minutes after (the fan has a timer). No towels allowed on the floor.

We wipe off our sinks and countertop after use. Every day I wipe down bathroom light switches, door knobs, toilet lever and toilet seat and rim.

I've never had a flood in the bathroom from toilets, sinks, tubs or showers. The worst we've had is leaks, and those wouldn't necessitate a floor drain because the floor didn't get soaked.

Bath and kitchen, 2 most expensive projects... do all the tear out and little things yourself and save a ton.... labor is usually 3 X's the cost of the materials.
Agreed.

In our kitchen, the only projects we didn't do were the quartz countertops and the plumbing for the pot filler. TCS did everything else--cabinets, floors, tile backsplash, new faucets, new sink, paint, beaded board, new appliances, garbage disposal, sliding patio doors, ceiling and lighting.

He also removed the old countertop to keep the price down a bit on the installation.

. . .

When it comes to toilets I much prefer the lower ones! When I needed a new one a few years ago I stayed with the lower style and a round bowl. I did reuse an existing seat that was (and is) is in good shape that I preferred to what came with the toilet and stored the new one.
If you're happy, I'm happy. I prefer the taller toilets because with my bad knees it is sooooo much easier to get up and down from the seat, especially in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning.

I like our slow-closing toilet seats because they require only a slight tap to close (don't need to hold on to them).

my parents always bought expensive Wool carpet. No carpets on stairs, slip/fall hazards.
When we bought our house it was new and had builder-grade wall-to-wall carpeting on the stairs.

A few years ago, when we removed the old carpet, we first tried leaving carpet off the stairs. After two days of that I could hardly stand it. My knees were killing me. So, we tried a carpet runner on the stairs. It has a textured pattern that makes it non-skid, more suited for stairs than regular carpet. It helped but it still felt "hard." So, TCS took off the carpet, added a carpet pad to each tread, and then reinstalled the runner. Now it's just right. I can go up and down the stairs all day with no problem. Even with my Parkinson's I've never slipped.

(TCS also added a second matching handrail to our stairwell so that I have one on each side.)

My parents used to with the old toilets, they just wouldnt flush the trout.
They havent had any issues since the new toilet I put in.
Even when we had the old toilet it never overflowed. If it was clogged we'd just wait and flush again. If it looked like it might overflow we just turned off the toilet intake.

When we bought our house it was new and had builder-grade wall-to-wall carpeting on the stairs.

A few years ago, when we removed the old carpet, we first tried leaving carpet off the stairs. After two days of that I could hardly stand it. My knees were killing me. So, we tried a carpet runner on the stairs. It has a textured pattern that makes it non-skid, more suited for stairs than regular carpet. It helped but it still felt "hard." So, TCS took off the carpet, added a carpet pad to each tread, and then reinstalled the runner. Now it's just right. I can go up and down the stairs all day with no problem. Even with my Parkinson's I've never slipped.

(TCS also added a second matching handrail to our stairwell so that I have one on each side.)

This made me think of the stairs to our basement Fellowship Hall at church. There are two across from each other on opposite sides of the room. They are different widths but the narrower one is just right for many to hold on to the rails on both sides at once. Makes me think of built in canes!

Back