Home Renovation/Construction

clawfoottub.jpg

The ones we had in the house was similar to this one. One had to be scrapped it was so badly rusted and nasty.

I can never understand why most bathrooms in America do not have a drain hole. it's inconceivable. it's a bathroom for heaven's sake! many bathrooms in Asia and Caribbean do have drain hole and it makes sense. it's easier to clean and it's where water is!

So I'd ask a plumber to install a drain plug when renovating a bathroom.
because the floors with drain holes are solid concrete and water proofed, where the ones that dont are just wood with a covering.... different concepts all together. There are some american homes built late to early 1800/1900 that have concrete floors in the bathrooms with drains, just hose em down and done....lol
Some newer homes are being built with waterproof baths, tiles and nice concepts. expensive options

because the floors with drain holes are solid concrete and water proofed, where the ones that dont are just wood with a covering.... different concepts all together. There are some american homes built late to early 1800/1900 that have concrete floors in the bathrooms with drains, just hose em down and done....lol
Some newer homes are being built with waterproof baths, tiles and nice concepts. expensive options

That's interesting, I used to live in house that built in late 1860s, the bathroom has drain hole, thicker walls, taller ceiling, taller windows and doors.

Oh wait, I'm wonder if they use lead pipes for plumbing. :hmm:

That's interesting, I used to live in house that built in late 1860s, the bathroom has drain hole, thicker walls, taller ceiling, taller windows and doors.

Oh wait, I'm wonder if they use lead pipes for plumbing. :hmm:
yes they did

That makes total sense. Essentially, a bathroom floor with a drain is just a room size shower basin.

When we put in our upstairs walk-in shower, we had to build a concrete basin for its drain.

I can never understand why most bathrooms in America do not have a drain hole. it's inconceivable. it's a bathroom for heaven's sake! many bathrooms in Asia and Caribbean do have drain hole and it makes sense. it's easier to clean and it's where water is!

So I'd ask a plumber to install a drain plug when renovating a bathroom.

We had a grain in the basement of our house and that was a good thing b/c dad shot a hole through the kitchen floor by mistake and killed the water heater ! :giggle:

right but I'm saying that it's inconceivable to me that in this modern time, it is not a standard for a bathroom to have a drain hole because like you said - just hose'em down and you're done. that is logical and practical to me.

a bathroom is probably the most often used in the house and also the most filthy one. how else can you clean it quickly and easily??? and plus - the likelihood is high that a bathroom would get flooded. a drain hole would solve everything.

Remodeling a bathroom is so expensive. We just got a quote to redo our shower and OMG!!!

right but I'm saying that it's inconceivable to me that in this modern time, it is not a standard for a bathroom to have a drain hole because like you said - just hose'em down and you're done. that is logical and practical to me.

a bathroom is probably the most often used in the house and also the most filthy one. how else can you clean it quickly and easily??? and plus - the likelihood is high that a bathroom would get flooded. a drain hole would solve everything.
I agree with you 100% toilets overflow all the time when clogged ( reason for the new law and all for the 3 gallon or less per flush compared to the older 5 gallon or more per flush.

Remodeling a bathroom is so expensive. We just got a quote to redo our shower and OMG!!!
Bath and kitchen, 2 most expensive projects... do all the tear out and little things yourself and save a ton.... labor is usually 3 X's the cost of the materials.

I agree with you 100% toilets overflow all the time when clogged ( reason for the new law and all for the 3 gallon or less per flush compared to the older 5 gallon or more per flush.

Yes, that happened to us and we have to use Shop Vac to drain the waters.

When I was 18, I pulled the plug in toilet pump so what happened... they cause water to overfill and spill on tiles, also some portion of carpets are soaked too.

I don't trust 3-gal toilet. It's not gonna be able to flush down my dump :lol:

it's really really really silly to flush it twice or 3 to completely flush it away. I guess I'll have to smuggle in a toilet from Canada. I do like one of those commercial toilets where its flush has jet-powered like strength.

it's really really really silly to flush it twice or 3 to completely flush it away. I guess I'll have to smuggle in a toilet from Canada.

I checked toilet in my bathroom - they are using 1.6 gallon per flush and they were 2005 model.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/federal-regulations-toilet-gallons-88640.html

I found it - 1.6 gallon per flush is maximum for all new toilet after 1994.

The Energy Policy Act of 1992, which became law in 1994, mandates a maximum flush volume of 1.6 gallons for toilets manufactured and installed after this date. Modern toilets that use even less water than this may be certified by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's WaterSense Program.

it's really really really silly to flush it twice or 3 to completely flush it away. I guess I'll have to smuggle in a toilet from Canada. I do like one of those commercial toilets where its flush has jet-powered like strength.
I have a 1-1/2 gallon flush in my parents house when I remodeled their bath, its a 2 hole flush and it will take down a Boeing 727...lol
I was amazed at the power it flushes at and its quick too, no whirlpool, just whoosh and its gone. So, yes, youre going to pay some $$$ for a good one and I think this one was $450+ Kohler I believe was the brand name. Its an enlongated toilet so willy doent get a contusion...lol

for those who pay for water, it saves a ton... also saves on septic systems filling up.

That's true, in most cases, I found 1.6 gallon is enough but sometime, second flush is necessary if I have big dump.

I noticed most washers are HE nowadays but my parents bought non-HE washers. :hmm:

I have a 1-1/2 gallon flush in my parents house when I remodeled their bath, its a 2 hole flush and it will take down a Boeing 727...lol
I was amazed at the power it flushes at and its quick too, no whirlpool, just whoosh and its gone. So, yes, youre going to pay some $$$ for a good one and I think this one was $450+ Kohler I believe was the brand name. Its an enlongated toilet so willy doent get a contusion...lol
This is the toilet we got last week. It's by American Standard for $239. It was recommended to us by our plumber. I love it! It has the woosh flush (no repeats necessary), comfort height seat, elongated bowl, and 1.6 gal. capacity. We switched out the included seat for a slow closer, so now it's perfect.

Champion Toilet at Lowes

Do you notice that carpet made from recycled fiber isn't durable as carpet with new fiber?

I bought one of carpet with recycled nylon fiber, of course, they are more softer but easily crushed and matted, turned into ugly with cornrowing so I replaced under warranty with different carpet with new fiber, not recycled and it is a lot better, but it is more rough. I take durability over softer.

It isn't easy to find carpet that made with new fiber since most of them are using recycled fiber.

Back