Home Renovation/Construction

We had two contractors out today to give us estimates. One was for our HVAC unit which we guessed would be around $15,000 but the bid was for $26,000 OUCH!!!

Kitchen cabinet lady came today. We have decided instead of having a company come in and sand down and repaint, spending 2-4 weeks with the kitchen a mess to get another company to come out and estimate on what it will cost to replace the doors and drawers plus more. Nervously waiting for the estimated. We also have ordered our carpet for the whole house. That should be in next week.

We had two contractors out today to give us estimates. One was for our HVAC unit which we guessed would be around $15,000 but the bid was for $26,000 OUCH!!!

Kitchen cabinet lady came today. We have decided instead of having a company come in and sand down and repaint, spending 2-4 weeks with the kitchen a mess to get another company to come out and estimate on what it will cost to replace the doors and drawers plus more. Nervously waiting for the estimated. We also have ordered our carpet for the whole house. That should be in next week.

I hope the carpet will not be installed until the other work is done to protect it from debris and tracking in.

LOL no I'd have to go look at it again (it actually still works too). I want to say TRS 80 but don't think that's it- think that one is the 'dumb terminal' at Gallaudet before they put Windows on the machines- and we learned BASIC.

Neither my dad nor I used WordPerfect and didn't have a problem transitioning to MS Word.

The TRS 80 was one of the first by Radio Shack. It started out using tape rather than floppy disks.

Some of you might find this link interesting.
http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/340081/golden-age-of-trs-80-a-look-back-at-radioshack-computers

It is not a matter problem transitioning I just don't like Word! I think Microsoft really did themselves a favor by having it come with Windows with NO CHOICE. That way so many just used what was there without comparing others. I do remember a time when WordPerfect was the wordprocessing program though. I remember at the 1993 UCC Synod (national denomination meeting) it was used for producing documents done during the several day long series of meetings.

All that sounds wonderful. (Dirty, messy, busy, yes, but well worth it in the end!)

Get some more bids, I had a complete heating/cooling system installed including ALL duct work for less than $8000.... someone trying to get one over on you.

. . .
It is not a matter problem transitioning I just don't like Word! I think Microsoft really did themselves a favor by having it come with Windows with NO CHOICE. That way so many just used what was there without comparing others. I do remember a time when WordPerfect was the wordprocessing program though. I remember at the 1993 UCC Synod (national denomination meeting) it was used for producing documents done during the several day long series of meetings.
I used WordPerfect for years with no complaints. Then I switched to MS Word, and I have no problems with it either. I also like how all of the MS Office suite apps are compatible with each other. I can easily import an Excel file into a Word document without any garbling or maneuvering to make it fit. I like moving a Word document into PowerPoint, smooth as can be.

I don't know which Windows version you use but my computers haven't come with permanent Word included in many years. The Word that was included was usually a limited trial sample. I had to buy separately the Office suite.

When I was journalist in the Navy we used WordPerfect and Desktop Publishing. That was eons ago. :lol:

Is there a specific feature that you don't like about Word?

Wow, that is a big ouch! What does it include?

Kitchen cabinet lady came today. We have decided instead of having a company come in and sand down and repaint, spending 2-4 weeks with the kitchen a mess to get another company to come out and estimate on what it will cost to replace the doors and drawers plus more. Nervously waiting for the estimated.
I hope that number is less painful.

We also have ordered our carpet for the whole house. That should be in next week.
Moving right along. :)

Get some more bids, I had a complete heating/cooling system installed including ALL duct work for less than $8000.... someone trying to get one over on you.

Yeah you should get at least 3 bids , and ask for some references letters or better yet some phone numbers to call. I was able to call some people to see how they liked the contractor's work. You can try and see if there any bad reviews about a contractor on line . You should also made sure a contactor license is still good , I have found contactor and plumbers who licenses that were not up to date.

Remember you are in Missouri and she is in California. That can account for a good deal of difference in cost.

Nah, building materials are pretty much the same across the board as well as labor.

NH has no sale taxes so people from Massachusetts like to shop at Home Depot in NH to avoid paying taxes on building materials , there are always a lot cars from Ma. at Home Depot and Lowe's Home Improvement . When the sales taxes went up in Ma. I was told at Home Depot in NH this was the best thing that happen for them . They were getting more people from Ma. My brought a new fridge in NH to avoid paying taxes on it.

NH has no sale taxes so people from Massachusetts like to shop at Home Depot in NH to avoid paying taxes on building materials , there are always a lot cars from Ma. at Home Depot and Lowe's Home Improvement . When the sales taxes went up in Ma. I was told at Home Depot in NH this was the best thing that happen for them . They were getting more people from Ma. My brought a new fridge in NH to avoid paying taxes on it.

FYI, if you file for tax return and they state that you must to pay MA sale tax if you buy stuff from other states.

but it is rarely or not enforced.

You have capable to fighting, especially ballot to reduce sale tax, but if you didn't involved so it means you are too lazy to change the system.

And, one thing to consider is convenience vs. cost. If you will spend 2 hours on the road to drive somewhere to avoid paying sales tax, think about the time, tiredness, and gas you will spend. I would just as soon spend a few dollars and pay the tax if I can just be done with it. Of course, that might change if the total cost of what I'm buying is so substantial that there's hefty taxes on top of it, but still, generally ...

And, one thing to consider is convenience vs. cost. If you will spend 2 hours on the road to drive somewhere to avoid paying sales tax, think about the time, tiredness, and gas you will spend. I would just as soon spend a few dollars and pay the tax if I can just be done with it. Of course, that might change if the total cost of what I'm buying is so substantial that there's hefty taxes on top of it, but still, generally ...

Taxes already paid for... need gas to get there right? Gotcha, sales tax paid though gas already.

Well . . . it often is not much but our small town straddles 4 counties! Most of the stores are in one or the other of two. There is a ¼ percent difference in the sales tax. If an item is available in both counties I will choose the one with the lessor tax. The distance to the shopping area in each is a similar distance from my home.

Taxes already paid for... need gas to get there right? Gotcha, sales tax paid though gas already.

What taxes are paid for? My post was referring to those who purposely drive to a state that does NOT charge sales tax.

And said person will just end up paying gas money, AND taxes through gas.

You just made my point, thank you very much.

What taxes are paid for? My post was referring to those who purposely drive to a state that does NOT charge sales tax.

And said person will just end up paying gas money, AND taxes through gas.

You just made my point, thank you very much.

Sales taxes included in gas when u buy to drive up.

Your very welcome.

If it were my SUV, I can buy anywhere cheap and it last me a long time. For example when I need go to next town for something, and theres tax free fuel on indian reservation, I fill up to brim and come back home with 44 gal of Diesel. Summer time, a tank would last me about 950 miles.

My dad and I finished off the entire lowest level of my 2nd home some 10 years back. We did all the framing, drywall, mudding, sanding, painting, trim, carpet, hardwood floors. It was about a 6 month project.

We hired out the plumber to connect the shower and sink and toilet, and an electrician to do the GFI wiring for the bathroom. (The GFI wiring in itself isn't complicated, it's just different wiring than the rest of the basement, but we needed him to separate out the switches for the bathroom and bedrooms anyway. The basement used to have just one switch for the entire basement, and each room needed it's own switches.) My dad and I did well, we passed all inspections! :)

Just got the estimate for refacing our kitchen cabinets. Includes all new hardware, new doors and drawers plus making some basic changes. Was $4000 over what I expected and my estimate was a lot higher than what my husband thought. CRAZY!!!!

Back