Home Renovation/Construction

If you got a string that is long enough, you could use that to measure room. Stretch string to room from wall to wall then wrap it around ruler then count it.

Example: room is 4 feet long, string would wrap around 12 inch ruler 4 times. If using yard stick, it would go around one end then another foot which makes it 4 feet
No it wont, do your math... it will wrap twice, count both sides. if its an odd # in feet there will be one extra count on one side

Duh!

You are right, in my defense it was late when I typed that! :giggle:

Thanks for catching that.

No it wont, do your math... it will wrap twice, count both sides. if its an odd # in feet there will be one extra count on one side

Berber carpet is also bad for families with cats and dogs. If their claws start a snag, it will continue to unravel. It's also very dense so if there is a urine spot that soaked in it's much harder to extract from the bottom layer (pad).

That's nicer than what we had in housing. We had all tile floors.

It could be a maintenance issue with so much moisture. I have hardwood flooring in my powder room but it doesn't get wet because there's no tub or shower in there.

I wonder if the person that renting out their unit know this about Berber carpet . Their tenant has 2 cats and w/w Berber carpet , it a light color too, it was when it was rented out.

Thanks all- As it turned out there WAS a tape measure in my dad's Office (I just didn't look close enough at the desk in the back in the half dark..). Measured and now set up. Tips here are great ones too!

Thanks all- As it turned out there WAS a tape measure in my dad's Office (I just didn't look close enough at the desk in the back in the half dark..). Measured and now set up. Tips here are great ones too!
so, How many feet was it?
Dont leave us hanging like that....

Here's another one (even if you don't need it now). Somewhere I saw a suggestion about using US paper money. I have not been able to remember the length though. Looked it up and it turns out to be 6 inches. http://lifehacker.com/estimate-measurements-with-a-dollar-bill-or-anything-e-1373620939

I've got a question. Not exactly for home renovation etc but could be useful (I need to measure from my PC to the router...curious). But.. I don't have a tape measure or ruler- not about to go rummaging in the garage right now with people sleeping (even though they claim they never hear me skulking about downstairs...).

Does anyone have tricks or ideas how to measure a length of the floor (a rather long one) easily without the benefit of a ruler or measuring tape?

I used a string or belt but don't use anything elastic (obviously lol)

so, How many feet was it?
Dont leave us hanging like that....
lmao sorry :D

approximately 15 ft (I'd say closer to 16-17 ft though). I ended up getting a 25" (no 20") cable to adjust for the corners, desks and boxes in it's path.

Here's another one (even if you don't need it now). Somewhere I saw a suggestion about using US paper money. I have not been able to remember the length though. Looked it up and it turns out to be 6 inches. http://lifehacker.com/estimate-measurements-with-a-dollar-bill-or-anything-e-1373620939

Am familiar with that one and have used it in the past but inching along on the floor and adding it up (I'm terrible in math) was not something I wanted to do lol.

the belt idea is another I later saw after visiting here- some say it may come out differently as belts tend to stretch.

I may have to find string and cut a length in 12" (1 foot) and store that :D

approximately 15 ft (I'd say closer to 16-17 ft though). I ended up getting a 25" (no 20") cable to adjust for the corners, desks and boxes in it's path.

Am familiar with that one and have used it in the past but inching along on the floor and adding it up (I'm terrible in math) was not something I wanted to do lol.

the belt idea is another I later saw after visiting here- some say it may come out differently as belts tend to stretch.

You talked about small feet earlier; but if you take note of how long they are (and remember it) you can do the heel to toe bit. Count or mark off on a sheet of paper for each step; use a calculator to multiply the length of your foot by the number of times you took a step and you have the length.

when I need something very long... I used ethernet/phone cable in a pinch :lol:

My understanding is that these posts where trying to come up with a way to measure to know how long a new one of those cables needs to be.

would have been a sight to see, you chasing money on the floor...or setting quarters in a row and figuring it up... theres one dollar, 2 dollars...ect.... lol

hehe Now that I have this one it will be handy. Most of my cords/cables that I have are in some box- many of them are coax. cables from past cable tv installations (one is at least 50" long).

My understanding is that these posts where trying to come up with a way to measure to know how long a new one of those cables needs to be.

Well.. if I had known where my "tech/cables box" was, I probably would have dug one of those out to do an approximate measure :lol:

would have been a sight to see, you chasing money on the floor...or setting quarters in a row and figuring it up... theres one dollar, 2 dollars...ect.... lol

:laugh2: Oh that would have been a sight... and the two other individuals who live here wondering what the hell I'm doing (they do that anyway...). I have tons of pennies- wonder how that would work..:hmm:.

At least the cable is not too noticeable and not in the way thank god.

Last edited:
Well.. if I had known where my "tech/cables box" was, I probably would have dug one of those out to do an approximate measure :lol:

Wellllllll now you know of something to do if you get bored. You might be surprised what is in there and not have to buy a new one of something in the future.

Ive saved alll my cables from past installs and all that... I probly have some hard to find, obsolete stuff too....lol

Ive saved alll my cables from past installs and all that... I probly have some hard to find, obsolete stuff too....lol
LOL

Yup that's me! I still have the first router I ever bought 10-15 years ago. Most definitely obsolete. I come by it honestly, my father has stuff he's kept for over 30 years including the first "computer" he had- a little all-in-one unit with a really tiny screen(green screen too), no hard drive to speak of, memory if any was a joke and you had to do everything with the 5.25 floppy disks in two floppy drives. Still has the WordStar software too (saw that yesterday while looking for cables in HIS goodies box).

LOL

Yup that's me! I still have the first router I ever bought 10-15 years ago. Most definitely obsolete. I come by it honestly, my father has stuff he's kept for over 30 years including the first "computer" he had- a little all-in-one unit with a really tiny screen(green screen too), no hard drive to speak of, memory if any was a joke and you had to do everything with the 5.25 floppy disks in two floppy drives. Still has the WordStar software too (saw that yesterday while looking for cables in HIS goodies box).

My first computer use was on a Radio Shack Model III in the early 1980's at work as a bookkeeper. It was one of the models that used two 5¼ floppy disks. It was used for a spreadsheet to help keep track of Real Estate Taxes on rental and sold on contract for deed property and payroll for office and construction personal. I continued to do the payroll on that and then a Model IV even when we had gone to Peachtree Accounting Software on an IBM compatible also by Radio Shack for the rest of the books. That was because I could put in the changes for Social Security, Medicare and Union dues in myself rather than have to order, have the company pay for and wait for changes to come in from Peachtree. The printing was done on a dot-matrix printer. It did have the advantage of printing all sheets of the sets of W-2s at once because it could do more than one sheet at a time because it physically struck the paper much like a typewriter (but "dots" rather than the fully formed letters that a typewriter uses).

One of the Radio Shack Model IVs was a "portable" that was not battery operated and about the size of today's portable sewing machines.

Like DeafDucky's dad my first wordprocessing software was also WordStar. I have often wondered if that has anything to do with how much I prefer WordPerfect and hate MS Word.

was it a commodor 64? lol
LOL no I'd have to go look at it again (it actually still works too). I want to say TRS 80 but don't think that's it- think that one is the 'dumb terminal' at Gallaudet before they put Windows on the machines- and we learned BASIC.

Neither my dad nor I used WordPerfect and didn't have a problem transitioning to MS Word.

LOL no I'd have to go look at it again (it actually still works too). I want to say TRS 80 but don't think that's it- think that one is the 'dumb terminal' at Gallaudet before they put Windows on the machines- and we learned BASIC.

Neither my dad nor I used WordPerfect and didn't have a problem transitioning to MS Word.

I only recall using WordPerfect in one temp job. I can't remember who the client was, but when I was working downtown last year I walked by a building and I thought to myself, "I had a temp job in there and I used WordPerfect for the only time in that job."

Back