"Hearing Impaired" = offensive?

To me, "Impaired" is just wrong, it kind of classed as we can't do anything, as deaf people are functionally capable to do anything except hear.

I say Deaf rather than HoH because it makes sure that people do look at me when I am talking to them and expect me to hear nothing... I work in Retail and as Teaching assistant, the background is so noisy it's hard for me to listen so I rely on Lipreading.

EVERY DAY I get "Deaf..... but how did you speak?"...

To me, "Impaired" is just wrong, it kind of classed as we can't do anything, as deaf people are functionally capable to do anything except hear.

I say Deaf rather than HoH because it makes sure that people do look at me when I am talking to them and expect me to hear nothing... I work in Retail and as Teaching assistant, the background is so noisy it's hard for me to listen so I rely on Lipreading.

EVERY DAY I get "Deaf..... but how did you speak?"...

Yes, that's because the use of "Impaired" on its own does imply that you can't do much. But when linked with "Hearing Impaired", it only suggests that you can't hear as well as what you should be able to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Calling yourself "Deaf" when you can hear and speak clearly (I assume) is obviously going to confuse people and that's another reason why I wouldn't use that term to describe my own condition. It's like telling people you're blind, only to walk off unaided with little trouble at all. Ofc people are going to be like WTF

Of course people will still be ignorant. I often get asked (By friends) why I can still hear when I take my aid out! But I think that if people start using the correct terms, they will reduce the amount of confusion.

Yes, that's because the use of "Impaired" on its own does imply that you can't do much. But when linked with "Hearing Impaired", it only suggests that you can't hear as well as what you should be able to. Nothing more, nothing less.

Calling yourself "Deaf" when you can hear and speak clearly (I assume) is obviously going to confuse people and that's another reason why I wouldn't use that term to describe my own condition. It's like telling people you're blind, only to walk off unaided with little trouble at all. Ofc people are going to be like WTF

Of course people will still be ignorant. I often get asked (By friends) why I can still hear when I take my aid out! But I think that if people start using the correct terms, they will reduce the amount of confusion.

Two words: redefining deaf.

Add a definition of deaf that does not mean "hearing loss".

Or..

A whole new word for "Culturally Deaf"

I think that "hearing impaired" should be taken loosely depending on who says it.

If a deaf person is talking to a deaf person (both use sign language as their primary form of communication and grew up in deaf culture), then "hearing impaired" can be seen as offensive.

However, if a hearing person who doesn't know about deaf culture or is new to the whole concept... then saying "hearing impaired" shouldn't offend deaf people as deaf people should be more open and forgivable towards those who do it in this manner.

If a deaf person gets easily offended because of this phrase, then they make themselves look like they have short tempers when they get easily offended by that kind of thing.

By legal means, "hearing impaired" is the politically correct way of labeling a person with hearing loss. They can get in trouble for using "deaf" since it can be derogatory towards those who don't consider themselves deaf.

So, if you're deaf and a hearing person says "hearing impaired" to you... don't get mad. Just tell him that YOU prefer he used "deaf". That way, he'll keep you in mind. The more he associates himself with deaf people, the more he'll learn which to use with others.

Much like the blacks using the N-word around each other.....some can take it and somewill take offence.

I don't see it that way. That's going to extreme in setting an example and a poor choice to use the "n" word as an example because saying that is a derogatory and racial epithet while saying "hearing impaired" isn't.

I have also started a thread exactly about that, a long time ago.

I don't feel like repeating why it's offensive to me as well so here it is, Hearing Impaired Term?

also more from search,

Where Did "Hearing Impaired" Came from?

Using Impaired Shows Disrespect

Deaf vs. Hearing Impaired

Which [Term] Do you Prefer to Use?

you should do some search first and bump it up to get more responses.

BTW, to correct one poster, it's NOT politically corrected term anymore.

here's a good explanation from NAD.org, of why we shouldn't use Deaf & Dumb, Deaf & Mute or/AND Hearing Impaired.

http://www.nad.org/issues/american-sign-language/community-and-culture-faq -
(second question down).

In my opinion "HoH" is a lost culture... :)

I think that's because HOH is not quite DEAF, and it's not quite HEARING. Many HOH function more like hearing people, and many of them function like deaf. Some sign, some speak, etc. HOH I think is probably even more varied than deaf, culturally, because they really are in between worlds.

I used to be HOH and basically thought I was just a hearing person who couldn't hear as well as most could. I never called myself HOH or deaf. I never knew of the community.

I'm not really offended when a hearie uses the term hearing impaired. I just tell them I prefer that they call me deaf (I usually only say that if I'm interacting with them more than one time, or else I don't really care). The only time I might get offended is if they use it an a way that is offensive, like saying "Oh, you're hearing impaired? Well then you should get a CI and fix it!" or anything along those lines of getting "fixed" or being messed up in some way or another.

That makes a lot more sense. Other deaf people get that deafness comes in degrees. Hearing people don't always get that.

I remember complaining to my mother that people think I'm either totally deaf or if I can hear at all, I'm not deaf at all and my mother told me our maid asked my mother once if I was really was deaf because I seemed to be able to hear some things. :roll:

I think that "hearing impaired" should be taken loosely depending on who says it.

If a deaf person is talking to a deaf person (both use sign language as their primary form of communication and grew up in deaf culture), then "hearing impaired" can be seen as offensive.

However, if a hearing person who doesn't know about deaf culture or is new to the whole concept... then saying "hearing impaired" shouldn't offend deaf people as deaf people should be more open and forgivable towards those who do it in this manner.

If a deaf person gets easily offended because of this phrase, then they make themselves look like they have short tempers when they get easily offended by that kind of thing.

By legal means, "hearing impaired" is the politically correct way of labeling a person with hearing loss. They can get in trouble for using "deaf" since it can be derogatory towards those who don't consider themselves deaf.

So, if you're deaf and a hearing person says "hearing impaired" to you... don't get mad. Just tell him that YOU prefer he used "deaf". That way, he'll keep you in mind. The more he associates himself with deaf people, the more he'll learn which to use with others.
Excellent post!

This question NEVER seems to die and inputs come every other month. So I'm just going to write up my impression very briefly, and I think the correct answer is unfortunately a reality, so brace yourself for the grim truth behind all of it:

HEARING IMPAIRED = BEATING A DEAD HORSE

BEATING A DEAD HORSE.
BEATING A DEAD HORSE.
BEATING A DEAD HORSE.
BEATING A DEAD HORSE.

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

I use the term "deaf" with regard to my daughter, and usually have to add -- especially if she is chatting away with me or the person I'm talking to -- "and she has 2 cochlear implants that enable her to access sound through some pretty amazing medical technology -- she can sign, speak and hear. The hearing just happens in a very different way."

I'm not offended by 'hearing impaired', but just wouldn't think to use it and would probably correct someone who described Li that way by saying, no, she's deaf.

This question NEVER seems to die and inputs come every other month. So I'm just going to write up my impression very briefly, and I think the correct answer is unfortunately a reality, so brace yourself for the grim truth behind all of it:

HEARING IMPAIRED = BEATING A DEAD HORSE

BEATING A DEAD HORSE.
BEATING A DEAD HORSE.
BEATING A DEAD HORSE.
BEATING A DEAD HORSE.

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Tell us how you really feel...

Tell us how you really feel...

Me? Nonchalant.. the topic will never end.

It's probably something along the lines of.. for the average joe posting for feedback:

Chapters:
I - Introduction
II - Undocumented anger
III - Author preface & autobiography
IV - Negative past experience(s) at a social network
V - Justification & retribution
VI - Revelation, suggestions
VII - Repost

And the glycolysis cycle continues to spin ever so fervently.

Me? Nonchalant.. the topic will never end.

It's probably something along the lines of.. for the average joe posting for feedback:

Chapters:
I - Introduction
II - Undocumented anger
III - Author preface & autobiography
IV - Negative past experience(s) at a social network
V - Justification & retribution
VI - Revelation, suggestions
VII - Repost

And the glycolysis cycle continues to spin ever so fervently.

...damn. We're screwed.

I noticed when I used to describe myself as heairng impaired, people wouldnt ask me to do anything but when I use deaf, I dont seem to have that problem with people anymore.

Back