"Hearing Impaired" = offensive?

Wirelessly posted

Well, I guess I can see that those who are for or against the term hearing impaired have different ways of looking at deafness. Some see it as a difference, some as a disability, and I sort of see is as a bit of both, a diffibility? So, I don't feel offended by those who feel that one of the two extremes is the only view.

I don't care much for the term hearing impaired. I may say I'm HOH to people I may never meet again but I tell everyone else I'm deaf.

I noticed when I used to describe myself as heairng impaired, people wouldnt ask me to do anything but when I use deaf, I dont seem to have that problem with people anymore.

What do you mean ask you to do anything? Like they thought you couldn't accomplish a task?

Wirelessly posted

Well, I guess I can see that those who are for or against the term hearing impaired have different ways of looking at deafness. Some see it as a difference, some as a disability, and I sort of see is as a bit of both, a diffibility? So, I don't feel offended by those who feel that one of the two extremes is the only view.

I see it as the hearing that's impaired, not the person. Just as I see the words "visually impaired" to mean that the vision is impaired, not the person. Yet I don't see people with visual impairments go up in arm over the term "visually impaired." I see it as much ado over nothing. Maybe a cultural thing that's running amok?

What do you mean ask you to do anything? Like they thought you couldn't accomplish a task?

Like asking me to help them...I have offered help and they would say stuff like "I am sorry but you are hearing impaired so that's ok."

I dont know if there is a correlation or not but I have noticed after I identified myself as being deaf, that no longer became an issue.

I see it as the hearing that's impaired, not the person. Just as I see the words "visually impaired" to mean that the vision is impaired, not the person. Yet I don't see people with visual impairments go up in arm over the term "visually impaired."
term okay as just that until a lot of, plenty audists think deaf people are dumb. automatically. these nowadays, hearing impaired = native/clueless/dumb. otherwise that term wouldn't be offensive in my eyes.

are you a hearie or deaf?

term okay as just that until a lot of, plenty audists think deaf people are dumb. automatically. these nowadays, hearing impaired = native/clueless/dumb. otherwise that term wouldn't be offensive in my eyes.

are you a hearie or deaf?

Certainly not a hearie.

I don't care much for the term hearing impaired. I may say I'm HOH to people I may never meet again but I tell everyone else I'm deaf.

Really? I'm the opposite. I tell people whom I know I'll never meet again that I'm deaf. But for people that are going to be a part of my life, I explain the nuances of my hearing loss, which leaves me with a little bit of normal hearing, and a lot of profound deafness.

Really? I'm the opposite. I tell people whom I know I'll never meet again that I'm deaf. But for people that are going to be a part of my life, I explain the nuances of my hearing loss, which leaves me with a little bit of normal hearing, and a lot of profound deafness.

I find that nuances are wasted on strangers and hearing who are close minded.

I find that nuances are wasted on strangers and hearing who are close minded.

That's why I just tell those kinds of people that I am deaf. It's only the people that are going to be my friends or colleagues that I explain myself to.

But I think we should try and educate at every opportunity.

Why would I say the above if I didn't? U don't think it is a good idea or attitude? If you don't, its no skin off my nose.

I was just wondering if you walk the walk. Pardon me, but I just find it hard to believe that you will take the time to "educate" a hearing person about your hearing loss at every interaction. If you really do, that's amazing, and you must be a very patient individual.

I agree it's a good idea, but for me it's not even remotely practical. There are just so many situations where trying to explain would be even more awkward than just saying "I'm deaf."

I should add: this is one reason why I am a writer; I write about hearing loss, and I feel I can reach far more people in that medium that trying to educate every stranger I come across on the street or in stores.

Back