"Hearing Impaired" = offensive?

Sometimes it is much better not to delegate oneself as the spokesperson for the whole community.

For you, you may feel English is your first language. It is great for you, I applaud you for knowing your first language and I caution you about speaking for other people and their preferred choice of language.

It is disprespectful to do so and crosses cultural boundaries when one states so boldly without asking so. I would not speak for my husband's first language and I will only speak for my own first language which is ASL.
I didn't say anything about being the spokesperson for the whole community. All I said was that "English is the 1st language for SOME of the deaf". Actually it was posts from hell that was making it sound like ASL was the 1st language for ALL of the deaf. Thus tell him that!

Besides, why does it always have to be an "one way street" with some of you guys and gals?

That it's supposedly okay for the culturally deaf or ASL users to make "constructive comments" and it isn't for the oral deaf, english 1st, hearing-impaired or hard of hearing?

I didn't say anything about being the spokesperson for the whole community. All I said was that "English is the 1st language for SOME of the deaf". Actually it was posts from hell that was making it sound like ASL was the 1st language for ALL of the deaf. Thus tell him that!

Besides, why does it always have to be an "one way street" with some of you guys and gals?

That it's supposedly okay for the culturally deaf or ASL users to make "constructive comments" and it isn't for the oral deaf, english 1st, hearing-impaired or hard of hearing?

hahaha... I said it as a personal standpoint. However allow me to correct myself, I should have used the word "secondary". English is exposed to us all at first, there is nothing we can do about THAT.

If you're perfectly happy with the way you are, why so defensive?

hahaha... I said it as a personal standpoint. However allow me to correct myself, I should have used the word "secondary". English is exposed to us all at first, there is nothing we can do about THAT.

If you're perfectly happy with the way you are, why so defensive?

I came to define your post as the language people are comfortable in.

English is not my second language, or third. Yet I will still call it my first or second language depending on who I am talking to because I am most comfortable signing or speaking English than the others I've been taught.

So, you're tell me that idiot deaf don't understand "hearing impaired" mean then decide it's an insult?

I came to define your post as the language people are comfortable in.

English is not my second language, or third. Yet I will still call it my first or second language depending on who I am talking to because I am most comfortable signing or speaking English than the others I've been taught.

So, SEE trumps ASL?

That's not "how I see it". English is indeed the first language among SOME of the deaf.

Instead of "some" I'd say "most" since we have 30 million people in the U.S. with hearing loss from mild to profound while only some perhaps 800,000 people are Deaf. Granted, many of those 30 million may be immigrants and English is not their first language but the majority of the 30 million people are indeed U.S. citizens with English as their first language.

Instead of "some" I'd say "most" since we have 30 million people in the U.S. with hearing loss from mild to profound while only some perhaps 800,000 people are Deaf. Granted, many of those 30 million may be immigrants and English is not their first language but the majority of the 30 million people are indeed U.S. citizens with English as their first language.

only 4.5 million under the age of 65 has hearing loss.

it doesn't bother me tho i say hard of hearing i think hearing impaired is just the tech term for it some people are just more sensitive however i can understand moms being offended by it because those are their babies :) BUT I think hoh people who get offended by it are just plain anal. People like to complain. I don't even care if someone calls me a cracker LOL

Back