"Hearing Impaired" = offensive?

ExR

Reaction score
I've read elsewhere that many deaf or HoH people find the use of the term "Hearing Impaired" to be offensive. I honestly don't see what's wrong with the term. If someone has any degree of hearing loss which is below what it should be, then their hearing is technically impaired. So why do some get offended by the term? Why is it often considered more PC to say "Hard of Hearing" instead?

Personally, I'm not offended by this term at all. I always use the term if I need to tell someone that I can't hear as well as others can. It is also less effort to say "Hearing Impaired" given that it's shorter and also because both words use similar sounds. Not that it really matters that much ofc!

ExR

I've read elsewhere that many deaf or HoH people find the use of the term "Hearing Impaired" to be offensive. I honestly don't see what's wrong with the term. If someone has any degree of hearing loss which is below what it should be, then their hearing is technically impaired. So why do some get offended by the term? Why is it often considered more PC to say "Hard of Hearing" instead?

Personally, I'm not offended by this term at all. I always use the term if I need to tell someone that I can't hear as well as others can. It is also less effort to say "Hearing Impaired" given that it's shorter and also because both words use similar sounds. Not that it really matters that much ofc!

ExR

It really doesn't bother me, either. There are some within the culture who profess that the term suggests they are broken. They view themselves from the cultural model, not the medical model.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

I asked this question last year... and here's a link to that thread
http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/63919-offensive.html

I for one HATE when my son is called 'Impaired' but that's my opinion as a mom~~ I just prefer to have people say he's 'deaf or HoH' and he has a vision field cut-- just like I hate the word brain damage-- he's not damaged, he's just built differently... BUT again, that's my opinion of what people call my son--

I asked this question last year... and here's a link to that thread
http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/63919-offensive.html

I for one HATE when my son is called 'Impaired' but that's my opinion as a mom~~ I just prefer to have people say he's 'deaf or HoH' and he has a vision field cut-- just like I hate the word brain damage-- he's not damaged, he's just built differently... BUT again, that's my opinion of what people call my son--

I just read your thread, it's very interesting to see how people perceive things. It got me thinking though. I guess if I was a Dad and had normal hearing, I may also look at it that way too. For me though, I just accept it for what it is. I guess that's why I don't find it offensive.

I also noticed your sig. I am also moderately HoH but never refer to myself as being deaf and when I was younger, I would have been offended if someone called me deaf. Not because I thought there was anything wrong with being deaf, but because I think it's a bit of an inaccurate term to describe someone who has a moderate hearing loss. To me, it's like referring to someone who wears glasses as being "blind". But then again, that's just my interpretation. :p

Thanks for the replies and I hope I didn't cause any offense. I do realise it's a sensitive topic. :)

I also noticed your sig. I am also moderately HoH but never refer to myself as being deaf and when I was younger, I would have been offended if someone called me deaf. Not because I thought there was anything wrong with being deaf, but because I think it's a bit of an inaccurate term to describe someone who has a moderate hearing loss. To me, it's like referring to someone who wears glasses as being "blind". But then again, that's just my interpretation. :p

Thanks for the replies and I hope I didn't cause any offense. I do realise it's a sensitive topic. :)

Well until yesterday we pretty much thought he was 'deaf' when he was unaided (profound on one side and moderate on the other with processing issues as well) but just discovered after TWO years of testing that way, it turns out he has a profound unilateral loss???? Long story!! :) He's more HoH I suppose -- I hadn't even thought about my sig since we just got back! LOL Good reminder! :) :)

BTW- I believe Impaired is the term most used in the medical field and professional settings although it does make me cringe-- honestly I just prefer to refer to my son as a WILD, OVER ACTIVE TODDLER- -than put other labels on him... ya know? :) :)

Nope, doesn't bother me. Others are tad more sensitive about it.

Well until yesterday we pretty much thought he was 'deaf' when he was unaided (profound on one side and moderate on the other with processing issues as well) but just discovered after TWO years of testing that way, it turns out he has a profound unilateral loss???? Long story!! :) He's more HoH I suppose -- I hadn't even thought about my sig since we just got back! LOL Good reminder! :) :)

BTW- I believe Impaired is the term most used in the medical field and professional settings although it does make me cringe-- honestly I just prefer to refer to my son as a WILD, OVER ACTIVE TODDLER- -than put other labels on him... ya know? :) :)

Ah right, I see. :P When I was a teenager I used to label myself, and it used to beat me up sometimes but now I just take the view that nobody is 100% perfect. In many respects, being HoH is comparable to wearing glasses. The only reason why many don't think of it like that is because it's more common to wear glasses and society doesn't give it a second thought. But still, to be normal, is to be different. :)

Ah right, I see. :P When I was a teenager I used to label myself, and it used to beat me up sometimes but now I just take the view that nobody is 100% perfect. In many respects, being HoH is comparable to wearing glasses. The only reason why many don't think of it like that is because it's more common to wear glasses and society doesn't give it a second thought. But still, to be normal, is to be different. :)

I LOVE that quote right there!!!!!!

My mom always told me normal was a setting on the dryer and that was IT!! LOL

ExR, did you even read what I offered? I think I gave a wider, more encompassing view; albeit, it was short.

ExR, did you even read what I offered? I think I gave a wider, more encompassing view; albeit, it was short.

Yes, but I had nothing to respond to it with! I don't disagree with what you said. I did say thanks for the replies lol

Yes, but I had nothing to respond to it with! I don't disagree with what you said. I did say thanks for the replies lol

Just as long as you leave with a new perspective. :D And you asked questions why.....

Thanks, AdamsMomma...

I prefer "hard of hearing" cause I like to describe things in terms of what they are, not what they're not. But it's not like I can't handle it if someone says "hearing impaired."

I prefer "hard of hearing" cause I like to describe things in terms of what they are, not what they're not. But it's not like I can't handle it if someone says "hearing impaired."

I just say deaf until I'm in a situation where saying HoH is better.

Even if they say to me, "Are you deaf and mute?"

I'll respond verbally, "Sure."

Back