Happy Friday the 13th

Damn kids eggin' the houses around here...heard from a friend who said he heard on the police scanners.

As the story goes, in order to understand thirteen, one has to understand the history of twelve. The number twelve has traditionally represented completeness. There are twelve months of the year, twelve gods of Olympus, twelve signs of the zodiac and twelve apostles of Jesus.

Thirteen exists just one digit beyond twelve, and is symbolic of the first departure from completeness or the initial step towards evil. Judas Iscariot was the "thirteenth" apostle, the thirteenth tribe of Israel was the only tribe left without land, and the ill-fated Apollo 13 space mission was launched at 1313 hours (central time), from pad 39 ( the 3rd multiple of 13) and had to be aborted on April 13, 1970. Practitioners of witchcraft will cite that the number thirteen equals the number of days in the year divided by twenty-eight, the number of days in a woman's menstrual cycle.

Friday has an equally colorful past. According to the Bible, Eve gave the apple to Adam on Friday, the great flood began on a Friday, the Temple of Solomon was destroyed on a Friday, execution day was Friday in Rome, and Good Friday exists because it is the reported day of Jesus' crucifixion. An English schoolboy allegedly proved mathematically that thirteen, when examined over a 400-year period, falls on Friday more than any day of the year . He was thirteen years old, of course.

But for all the infamy and credence given to bad luck on Friday the 13th, there are many less publicized examples of good fortune. In pagan times, Friday was the day of the love goddess, and today, fittingly enough, Friday is the end of the work week. Many actors insist on signing contracts only on Friday because it brings good luck. Novelist Charles Dickens habitually began the writing of all his books on a Friday, the day of his birth.

At the birth of our nation, thirteen colonies formed the Union, a baker's dozen is considered a fortunate bargain, and if you are Jewish, age thirteen is the time for a bar or bat mitzvah. For some Christians, thirteen could be considered sacred, since it equals the Ten Commandments plus the Trinity. And, as most sports fans know, Dan Marino, perhaps the greatest of NFL quarterbacks, wears number thirteen.

Even with all the fuss over Friday the 13th, the only reality that surrounds the date is that it remains nothing more than superstition. Friday(today) is like any other day of the week that happens to occur on the thirteenth of the month.

It might be easy to laugh at such foolishness, but this same kind of superstitious thinking operates to support beliefs that can be harmful. It is estimated that the 13th of the month costs America a billion dollars a year through train and plane reservation cancellation, absenteeism, and reduced commerce. One can see why philosopher Edmund Burke proclaimed superstition the "religion of feeble minds."

Belief in Friday the 13th is no different from belief in astrology, quack medicine, hauntings or UFOs and the crash at Roswell, New Mexico. None of these claims are grounded in sound scientific evidence.

Unfortunately, the media often promulgates and spreads superstition through uncritical presentations. Television programs and films like the Unexplained, Friday the 13th, Psi Factor, Independence Day, Unsolved Mysteries, Dark Skies and the X-Files need to balance their content with scientific criticism. Otherwise, Hollywood producers, like modern-day PT Barnums, are contributing to a society of believers in superstition and the paranormal. It is when people make financial, political and personal decisions based on these kinds of superstitions that we witness the true darkside of Friday the 13th.

A healthy response to Friday the 13th comes from Paul Kurtz, chairman of the Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal. "Our message is, you have nothing to fear from superstition," says Kurtz whose organization routinely celebrates Friday the 13th with a party at which mirrors are broken, umbrellas are opened indoors, and other superstitious taboos are brashly challenged. Kurtz and his fellow skeptics urge the public to approach life with rational-- rather than magical-- thinking.

http://www.valleyskeptic.com/friday~1.htm

Originally posted by ~Heather~
:eek: I hate fri the 13th today...bad luck...it did happen but aint sayin what... :mad2:

same here just got big bad days on friday 13 i dont like it and it ruin me everything damn it well life is tooooo short and day is too long to live oh well take care

Originally posted by SilenceGold
Nice copy and pasting job. :p
I didn't say I wrote it, so it's not plagerism. I actually read about that years back, but no way in hell am I going to take the time to find the book, find the page in the book, then type out everything I want to say just to post it here. I'll copy and paste and give the website, that's work enough for me. :D

It wasn't a bash post against you, Sydlie. Just a compliment. I did find it interesting and thank you and applause you for showing us here on this fine board of AllDeaf. :D

hahahaha, you all guys believe it's "13th" = bad luck? hahahaha... it's not true! u dorkie. peepz

Originally posted by LiLyxLui
hahahaha, you all guys believe it's "13th" = bad luck? hahahaha... it's not true! u dorkie. peepz
why do hotels do not have 13th floor???

Ha, I remember joke in russian I try to translate into English hope u undy, man hates 13TH on Friday so he bought train ticket to go back his home to work he decided to go next day on 14th and cashier gave him #13 carriage, NO, other pls, he asked cashier replied: unfortunately, there is last carriage has to be sold or next day on 15th, he said, OK, 15th pls, guess what he got late for his job on Monday, heh

In USA I noticed there no 13th floor but in Ukraine and Russia there are, people dont care really some few do :lol:

pimpdaddyposse said:
why do hotels do not have 13th floor???

ha, I dunno.. I've no clue how the hell hotel do not have 13th floors.. um, why don't you JUST go to go hotels and ask them.

if you will do, and after that .. tell us what's up :o

I was born on the 13th of June I don't get bad lucks when my birthday is on Friday the 13th... whoooo Jason is coming after me! *runs* :lol: *Joke*

Hm I was born on fri the 13th.. the number 13 dont seem like bad luck to me, I get good luck mostly :) 3 is also another fave number, since I was born on 3rd month on 13th, weighed 3lbs 13oz, at 3:13am :-x

Teekie said:
Hm I was born on fri the 13th.. the number 13 dont seem like bad luck to me, I get good luck mostly :) 3 is also another fave number, since I was born on 3rd month on 13th, weighed 3lbs 13oz, at 3:13am :-x

whoa Teekie -- very weird!!!

Fly Free said:
whoa Teekie -- very weird!!!
:mrgreen: I know :lol: I didn't believe it at first when my mom told me.. it says so on my birth certificate, I gulped...:crazy:

kuifje75 said:
I'm going to a wedding reception on Friday the 13th in February!
I'll be there too! Kootchie, do you mind if you bring your digital camera to take pics??? Bewitched will be there for sure, but I am not sure about Biostrexxus and PrettyWoman.

Back