Groundhog Predicts Six More Weeks of Winter

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
PUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. — Punxsutawney Phil (search), a groundhog said to have forecasting abilities, emerged from his burrow Monday and saw his shadow, meaning six more weeks of winter are on tap.

The tradition is rooted in a German superstition that if a hibernating animal casts a shadow Feb. 2 — the Christian holiday of Candlemas — winter will drag on. If no shadow is seen, legend says spring will come early.

In the past 117 years, the groundhog is reported to have seen his shadow 93 times and the last four Groundhog Days.

A day before the furry forecaster was to make his 118th annual weather prediction, people from as far away as England descended on this small town to shake the winter doldrums.

Mike and Anne Castledine, a retired couple from Derbyshire, England, caught groundhog fever after seeing the Bill Murray (search) movie "Groundhog Day," and just wanted to experience it for themselves.

"We were quite hooked once we'd seen the movie," Anne Castledine said Sunday after driving in from New Jersey.

Back home, "There's really no knowledge of what it entails," she said.

"We couldn't care less if he sees his shadow," said Bill Cooper, president of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club. "It's a people holiday."

What Groundhog Day (search) entails is a lot of revelry, although alcohol has been banned from Gobbler's Knob, the site just outside of town where Punxsutawney Phil issues his proclamation.

Music and dancing go on all night and the town's population of roughly 6,700 grew nearly six-fold to a record 40,000 last year. Because this year's Groundhog Day falls on a weekday, crowds are expected to be down considerably, although the festivities still include seven scheduled weddings.

Punxsutawney Phil is perhaps the most watched on Groundhog Day, but he certainly isn't alone. More than a dozen states celebrate the day with their own critters, including Dixie Dan in Mississippi, Buckeye Chuck in Ohio and Gen. Beauregard Lee in Georgia.

Even Pennsylvania has a competing ceremony. About 165 miles to the southeast, the Slumbering Groundhog Lodge of Quarryville has been forecasting with the animals since 1908.

Early on Groundhog Day, the group sends six squads into the fields to observe groundhog holes. Their findings are then relayed through Octoraro Orphie, a stuffed groundhog representing the group.

Hurrah, I like winter here in Utah and would hate to see it being gone so soon.
I am hoping for another major snowstorm here in Utah. :pressing my thumbs:

Hurry Up for the Springtime.

daisy.gif
fl14.gif
fl16.gif
fl02.gif
fl19.gif

Ugh!!!!

I was hoping that Spring would come around sooner but I know that for sure that I love winter season but in my areaof where we live, of Erie, Pa we tend to get too much snow almost everyday but lucky for today, we got blue skies and sunshine for a change!!!! My son loves the snow and even play in the snow for more than an hour! :lol:

For those who love the snow and winter season, I know that you enjoy it so much heh.

I love the snow!

I also love the movie, Groundhog's Day. It's hilarious! Heh! :lol:

yikes but then again its ALWAYS like that every year!!!!!!

"6 more weeks of winter!" is the annual announcement anyhow (it seems) -- guess ill patiently wait til spring *sigh*

im ALREADY ready for spring!!!!!

wish i am rich enough... move to australia for winter season..(summer in US) then move to US for winter season :P so i can have snow all year round!

however.. We minnesotans... Just started the Thrill of Snow last monday.. soo.. seems like winter started last monday :P

Last edited:
DeafSCUBA98 said:
wish i am rich enough... move to australia for winter season..(summer in US) then move to US for winter season :P so i can have snow all year round!

then u will eventually get so TIRED of seeing nothing but white cold wet snow on the grounds and u will start wishing for some warm weather where u can see some green grass, colorful flowers, a nice stroll in the park seeing a LIVE not a frozen miniwaterfall (or a big one) and etc etc

I cant wait for the warmer weather to save my electricity bill (heater).

Last edited:
Yeah technically the groundhog is correct. The last week of February always brings the worst of all winter storms here then the weather will gradually turn warmer.

*snuffle*

Either way, it's still six weeks of winter. Count the weeks between now and the first day of spring - six weeks. Six weeks. Six weeks of wet feet, cold hands, colds, dead batteries, broken shovels, soaking coats...heh heh.

DD

SORRY If I sound like Idoits ! lol but I need someone to answer my questions how earth would they know that when the seasons coming ??? i mean why is that important for groundhog to be telling about winter is going to be over soon ? and how would they know ??? care to explain to me ?? oh i do feel like idoits ! lol

knightwolf68 said:
SORRY If I sound like Idoits ! lol but I need someone to answer my questions how earth would they know that when the seasons coming ??? i mean why is that important for groundhog to be telling about winter is going to be over soon ? and how would they know ??? care to explain to me ?? oh i do feel like idoits ! lol
the scienceist people reasearch on those animals... those animals have sense of season.. many animals have sense of spring comming soon, summer comming soon, fall comming soon...

some of you in few states or all... notice a sea gull in groups flying in circles in high sky.. means fall's comming in 4 weeks.... they have those in Minn...

Groundhog is famous for dection Spring comming in 6 weeks.. ground hog is almost always accurate in predicting spring is comming..

as for Birds... they fly north to south cuz they know winter's on its way...

Butterfly flys south too as well..

so biologist, and another animal researchers studied each animals on how they can sense season's comming closer.. that's how they know :D
don't feel idiot.. u're not only one :D

What if Knightwolf only knows polar bears? :lol:
The only birds I see are hawks and black birds :-P

Back