Duggars Family... When Will It End?

Actually, less than 2 is the norm these days. In the ol' days, it was pretty normal for families to have anywhere from 5 to 15 children. My grandmother's side had 17 and my great-grandmother had 23.

Yeah, my grandma had 7 children of her own. My mother was the baby of the family.

updates from people magazine

Littlest Duggar Still in Intensive Care
Littlest Duggar Still in Intensive Care - Health : People.com

The Duggars are leaving home for the holidays.

Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's 19th child, Josie, is still hospitalized in Little Rock, Ark., so the TV clan is moving from their tiny hometown of Tontitown to the city 200 miles away to be closer to the baby.

"Josie is 2-weeks-old today," Jim Bob tells PEOPLE. "We continue to take things day by day – she remains in the NICU where doctors are tracking her progress."

Josie was born on Dec. 10 by emergency C-section, weighing 1 lb., 6 oz. The baby was born prematurely because mom Michelle suffered from preeclampsia, a condition during pregnancy that causes high blood pressure.

"Our entire family is planning to relocate to Little Rock temporarily to be close to Josie," Jim Bob says. "In the meantime, we're grateful that a close friend in Little Rock has opened up their home to us for the holidays."

The older Duggar children recently returned from a church mission to El Salvador "so the whole family will be together and close to Josie for Christmas," says Jim Bob. "We're so thankful for everyone's thoughts and prayers."

My therapist says that she deals with the wreckage of adults who didn't have their childhood needs met. It's hard to meet all of a child's needs, including emotional needs. I don't see how anyone could meet the needs of so many children. There are only so many hours in a day and a person only has so much energy. Large families in which the children are so close in age make it harder to meet the children's needs. A large family in which children are spaced out may work. A child every year or two is more than anyone can handle.

As I pointed out before, my biggest problem with the Duggar family is their refusal to offer the girls post secondary education or training. The girls are doomed to become broad mares. That's not something that I can support.

I totally agree..I dont like the idea of encouraging the boys to get the education but not the girls. That is just sexist.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have music training. there are alot of people who make money off of art and music. They don't need post secondary education (and do we really need that? I never did, I was trained on the job majority of the time)

The fact is that they dont allow the girls to get post secondary education is the problem. The girls should have the same rights as the boys to choose whether they want it or not. If they decide not to, great but have it decided by their parents...that is a form of control.

These girls have a choice to leave or stay home when they are 18 years old - a legal age for adults. The Duggars are not the type who lock thier girls in the house. They can drive and can leave the house anytime. Because they can leave if they wanted to, I guess you assume that not paying their education or encouraging them is controlling. Well, my parents never paid for ours nor encourage us either. We just walked out and pay our college out of our pocket.

Second, I have always had problem with Feminism where people put you to shame for wanting to be be moms and wives instead of a career. I agree that we should not be forbidden from education and career and such but that's only line I'll cross but if we want to teach our girls what the biblical role for women (and men), we should be able do so and that's what the Duggars are doing. It is really up to the girls if they want to reject or accept their parent's teaching. But they are not LOCKING their girls in the house and say "NO you can't go to college" or anything like that.

Last edited:
It's a matter of values. Education is highly valued in my family. My parents helped me go to college, and I'll do the same for my kids. Children who have mothers who are educated are healthier and are more successful in school. Educating a woman benefits her entire family. In developing countries, educating women and giving women micro-loans has significantly raised the quality of life for children.

If a woman does not want to go to college or learn a trade, that's her decision. She should have the opportunity and help if she wants to pursue an education.

Second, I have always had problem with Feminism where people put you to shame for wanting to be be moms and wives instead of a career. I agree that we should not be forbidden from education and career and such but that's only line I'll cross but if we want to teach our girls what the biblical role for women (and men), we should be able do so and that's what the Duggars are doing. It is really up to the girls if they want to reject or accept their parent's teaching. But they are not LOCKING their girls in the house and say "NO you can't go to college" or anything like that.

So, you have no problem with the fact that they're DENYING the girls the equal opportunity that the boys have? Feminists want EQUAL opportunity and nothing more or less.

So, you have no problem with the fact that they're DENYING the girls the equal opportunity that the boys have? Feminists want EQUAL opportunity and nothing more or less.

Thats what I got from her post. In my mind any woman that puts off her education to be "homemaker" is an idiot and is doing more harm than good. I see education as a landing pad for when all else fails. That's something no one can take from you.

I have a friend of mine that likes only one semester finishing her degree, instead what she's doing is becoming a breeder and is married to a geek that's filthy rich beyond comprehension and I honestly think she's not happy in the marriage. She's just on for the ride. She's incredibly smart, funny, and beautiful. If she finished that degree, there's no stopping her. If something happened, she would have no degree, and three children to take care of. She'd be in the WIC line in a hurry.

That's why I say I want to finish my degree and get stable for the first time in my life, and show the world I can be an independent woman and that I'm not seeking handouts. I think educated women find better men that treat them better. The men know this woman is armed with an education, even if you kicked her out, she would still be standing one way or another.

I will strongly encourage my daughter to get her education. It will only help her in the long run.

Thats what I got from her post. In my mind any woman that puts off her education to be "homemaker" is an idiot and is doing more harm than good. I see education as a landing pad for when all else fails. That's something no one can take from you.

I have a friend of mine that likes only one semester finishing her degree, instead what she's doing is becoming a breeder and is married to a geek that's filthy rich beyond comprehension and I honestly think she's not happy in the marriage. She's just on for the ride. She's incredibly smart, funny, and beautiful. If she finished that degree, there's no stopping her. If something happened, she would have no degree, and three children to take care of. She'd be in the WIC line in a hurry.

That's why I say I want to finish my degree and get stable for the first time in my life, and show the world I can be an independent woman and that I'm not seeking handouts. I think educated women find better men that treat them better. The men know this woman is armed with an education, even if you kicked her out, she would still be standing one way or another.

I will strongly encourage my daughter to get her education. It will only help her in the long run.

that was what happened with my mom. She quit college after a semester in it to raise us kids thinking she would be set for life with my dad because he was very successful. Well, 10 years down the road, they got divorced and she was forced to return to work with no skills nor education. She had to start out on the entry level while trying to support the family. Now, almost 30 years later, she is bitterly regretful for not finishing her degree because she is stuck at a dead end job with no opportunities for growth or promotions.

I refused to be stuck in the same situation hence my determination to finish school. My best friend is stuck in an unhappy marriage because she has been a housewife for 12 years and she knows she wont be able to find work that pays enough to support herself and her two kids. As a result, she stays in a marriage that brings her no pleasure.

update:

'18 Kids & Counting' Parents Debut 19th Child
'18 Kids & Counting' Parents Debut 19th Child - Yahoo! TV Blog

Exactly seven weeks after her early arrival, Josie Duggar is making her media debut.

Josie, who was born three-and-a-half months premature, is the 19th child of the "18 Kids & Counting" TV parents, Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar.

In an exclusive interview and photoshoot with People magazine, the Duggars report that Josie is doing well, but call her survival "a miracle." Delivered by cesarean section only 25 weeks after mom Michelle was diagnosed with preeclampsia, Josie weighed at an itty-bitty 1 lb., 6 oz. when she was born.

"Years ago, a baby this small wouldn't have lived an hour," Jim Bob told the magazine. "We are so grateful for the ability to help her."

Though she's still in an incubator at the NICU unit at Arkansas Children's Hospital in Little Rock, the littlest Duggar now weighs in at 2 lb., 4 oz. Luckily for the little one, TLC television stars Michelle, Jim Bob, their 17 of their 18 other children, have moved to Little Rock from their hometown of Tontitown, Arkansas to be as close to Josie possible.

In the meantime, the not-yet-2-month-old had better get used to the limelight: In addition to TLC updates, the Duggars spent Thursday morning speaking to the "Today" show's Meredith Viera. When asked if baby Josie was "out of the woods," Jim Bob told Meredith that both the doctors and the family were taking it "day by day."

"We know at any moment, things could change," he added.

Jim Bob and Michelle both on cover magazine of people on John and Elizabeth Edward's separation thread in Politics news but i tried on post on cover!!

dont miss airs their show on Jan.31 of Michelle's 19th baby girl delivery but i would watch on dvr on TLC in your local channel..

Such a small, sickly-looking baby! I hate to see babies with tubes sticking out of them. I hope that she grows quickly and has no major problems.

update from people magazine

Baby Josie Duggar's Amazing Recovery
Baby Josie Duggar's Amazing Recovery - Babies, Health : People.com

As if Josie Brooklyn Duggar's birth wasn't harrowing enough, after she arrived Dec. 10, nearly three months premature, her condition worsened just a week later.

Born at 25 weeks after mom Michelle was diagnosed with preeclampsia, Josie weighed only 1 lb., 6 oz. Eight days later, her bowel perforated, her parents Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar tell PEOPLE.

The micropreemie was rushed from University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock, Ark., the hospital where she was born, to Arkansas Children's Hospital, her parents at her side.

"She developed a spontaneous bowel perforation," explains her physician, Dr. Robert Arrington, co-director of the neonatal intensive care unit. "She responded to placement of an abdominal drain, plus antibiotics, and did not require an open operation." It was wonderful news for her frightened parents that their tiniest baby would not require surgery. "Dr. Arrington knows how to think outside the box and come up with different creative solutions," says a grateful Jim Bob, 44. "Josie is walking a daily tightrope to keep her vitals stable and the nurses and the whole team here has been wonderful."

"Having reached this point in her hospital course, she should continue to gain weight and develop," says Arrington of Josie, who now weighs 2 lbs., 3 oz. He expects her to be discharged several weeks before her original due date of March 18.

The devoutly Christian couple say that their faith and "prayers of people around the world" are giving them strength through the uncertainty and fear. "We trust that God is in control," says Michelle, 43.

Josie's dramatic arrival will be shown on 19 Kids and Counting: Special Duggar Delivery, airing Jan. 31 on TLC, and a new season of their reality show will debut in February.

update from people magazine

Baby Josie Duggar's 18 Siblings Getting to Know Her Onscreen
Baby Josie Duggar's 18 Siblings Getting to Know Her Onscreen - Babies : People.com

Grab the popcorn! Jim Bob and Michelle Duggar's crew of 17 kids still at home have a nightly movie date – and their preemie sister Josie is the star of the show.

The newest Duggar, who was born three months premature Dec. 10, weighing just 1 lb., 6 oz., is staying put – for now – in intensive care at Arkansas Children's Hospital.

Because the hospital does not allow underage visitors, every evening her siblings gather in their rented home close to the hospital and watch videos Jim Bob records on his iPhone from inside Josie's incubator.

"Jim Bob is getting all these good video clips each day," says Michelle, who takes shifts at the hospital with Jim Bob. "Her eyes are open, she waves and wiggles her hands and the other kids get the daily Josie update."

Ranging in age from 21 years to 13 months, the Duggar kids are anxious to know their new sister. Oldest son Josh, 21 and his wife, Anna, 21, have come to Little Rock to visit with their 3-month-old daughter, Mackynzie. The other kids still home – Jana, John David, Jill, Jessa, Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin, Jackson, Johanna, Jennifer and Jordyn – are keeping current.

"They feel like even though they don't get to go to the hospital to see her," Michelle explains, "they are still getting to see her grow."

The siblings visited Josie shortly after her birth at University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences in Little Rock, Ark. But when Josie perforated her bowel at eight days old, the micropreemie was rushed to Arkansas Children's Hospital, which the Duggars say has a policy preventing children under the age of 18 from entering the ICU unit.

Meanwhile, the kids are settling into their rented home in Little Rock and are exploring the city with field trips their parents organize in between their homeschooling work.

"We are still involved in our other children's lives," says Jim Bob. "I take the kids to do things that are fun and educational, like touring the USS Razorback." Adds Michelle, "I came in from the hospital that night and my little ones had on sailor hats and were talking about how they liked to eat spinach."

Josie's first Christmas will be featured on TLC's 19 Kids and Counting, airing Tuesday.

For more on the Duggars and baby Josie, including exclusive photos, pick up PEOPLE on newsstands now.

I find it disturbing when a parent makes his children a production for a television show. Especially since there's no protection for the earnings of the children.

The Duggars probably will try to beat your great-grandma and have 24 kids.

My grandfather Smith was the youngest of 12 children born to my great-grandfather Smith. My dad is the only child of my grandfather Smith. I have no uncles or aunts or cousins cuz both of my parents were only children.

I find it disturbing when a parent makes his children a production for a television show. Especially since there's no protection for the earnings of the children.

I think they are under contract.

But tv or no tv, I know plenty who decided to go to the quiverfull route.
people pay attention to them a long (because of their quiverfull beliefs) before they decided to do the show. I think he was a senator or something. I guess they figured since they are already in the spotlight, why fight it?

Because having children under constant media scrutiny is weird? Ask Jon and Kate. And then there's the train wreck known as the Octomom.

Back