Don't Ask, Don't Tell

It's hard to outline what constitutes sexual harassment because almost anything that can be done can be done with sexual innuendo. :dunno:

simple - sexual harassment is an unwanted sexual advance. The law clearly defined it - (from government site)
Sexual harassment is a form of sex discrimination that violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature constitutes sexual harassment when submission to or rejection of this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual's employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual's work performance or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment.

Sexual harassment can occur in a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to the following:

* The victim as well as the harasser may be a woman or a man. The victim does not have to be of the opposite sex.
* The harasser can be the victim's supervisor, an agent of the employer, a supervisor in another area, a co-worker, or a non-employee.
* The victim does not have to be the person harassed but could be anyone affected by the offensive conduct.
* Unlawful sexual harassment may occur without economic injury to or discharge of the victim.
* The harasser's conduct must be unwelcome.

the hard part? you need a proof.

Them admitting it may have had something to do with it.
Even without that it was pretty obvious as I mentioned before. I think you are taking don't ask don't tell out of context. Where that policy applies is in recruiting.
"Admitting" is the same as "telling."

I still don't know what you mean by "obvious." Maybe something "obvious" to you is not obvious to everyone else. Is it possible that some people are being judged "gay" by their peers when really they aren't?

The policy does not apply just to recruiting. If it did, then why were gay service members discharged for being found out, after serving for a period of time? That's not a recruitment context.

Oh, I knew you were joshing; I only wanna know what the emoticon means, literally.
If you roll your mouse over the smilie, or right click on it, or look at the list in the reply to thread options, you will see that it is called "Fruity."

If you roll your mouse over the smilie, or right click on it, or look at the list in the reply to thread options, you will see that it is called "Fruity."

Thanks, Reba! I did that very thing a while ago and it now gives me pause....:D

simple - sexual harassment is an unwanted sexual advance. The law clearly defined it - (from government site)

the hard part? you need a proof.
You are correct that the government clearly defines sexual harassment. Government employees and military members are subjected to all kinds of training and work shops on such topics, so they can't claim that they didn't know better.

Yes, proof is necessary. Anyone who feels that they may be in such a situation needs to document as much as possible.

Thanks, Reba! I did that very thing a while ago and it now gives me pause....:D
I know. Now we have to worry about the meanings behind smilies, in addition to everything else. :giggle:

I know. Now we have to worry about the meanings behind smilies, in addition to everything else. :giggle:

What's the diff tween a smilie and an emoticon? I mentioned elsewhere that I wish Alex'd put up the popular "clapping hands" similie/emoticon.

So? Some animals eat their own poop too, and I wouldn't recommend that either.

You mean some one actually researched and proved that animals were homosexuals before humans existed? I'd like to see that "proof" before commenting on it.

It's not really hard to understand. That if you take science seriously.

Origins of Homosexuality

I still don't know what you mean by "obvious." Maybe something "obvious" to you is not obvious to everyone else. Is it possible that some people are being judged "gay" by their peers when really they aren't?
Good points. I am still waiting for a visual description of "obvious" gay men and women. It is not quite the same as skin color. I mean, I know the stereotype appearance. How does that apply in real life?

Ugh, I have bad headache right now. :roll:

For me, I don't support Don't Ask, Don't Tell because it is unfair to gay soldiers and it is unacceptable to discharge the gay soldiers if they haven't do illegal sex or something, even straight soldiers should be discharge for illegal sex, such as not focus on duties or wars.

Military is supposed to defend our country and responsibility about duties, regardless on sex orientation.

Good points. I am still waiting for a visual description of "obvious" gay men and women. It is not quite the same as skin color. I mean, I know the stereotype appearance. How does that apply in real life?

if the male soldier is gay (as in "she" personality), then he shouldn't be with the front-line troops especially since women are not allowed to participate in direct ground combat.

but just something to think about :)

Netrox, I agree with ADers about military job and construction job are not same, they are much difference so far.

So 2 heterosexual men should not be hugging each other? aggressively manhandling each other? butt-patting?

Some men do have a problem with that, (and some won't admit it). but anyway, don't tell me a gay man is sexually "numb" when it come to butt - patting.

This has been going on for years and it's nothing new. Alot of gay soldiers fought and died for our country...we don't see them as homosexuals. we see them as heroes of the nation who fight for our rights, freedom, justice, u name it and yet, they are hypocrites to say homosexuality marriage is illegal while some states are allowing it then in the future the whole country will allow it. Why? because its human rights that's why.

I read one story somewhere that one of the soldiers was saved by another soldier during the attack, and he's gay and he worked harder than the other soldiers taking everything seriously and all, so he was grateful that he saved his life and that he should get a very good reward for that but former President Bush is heavily against homosexual marriages and he said "fuck you" to Bush for the soldier who saved his life and act like he don't deserve anything.

Seriously, what is this? kindergarten? Ewww I'm going to get gay cooties!

grow the fuck up, USA. :roll:

Some men do have a problem with that, but anyway, don't tell me a gay man is sexually "numb" when it come to butt - patting.

You sure about that? I've butt-patted a gay man and I can assure you that he did not get turned on. :lol:

What's the diff tween a smilie and an emoticon? I mentioned elsewhere that I wish Alex'd put up the popular "clapping hands" similie/emoticon.
Personally, I think emoticon is more accurate because many of the "smilies" we use in our posts at AD are definitely not smiling.

However, the format at AD labels those little critters "Smilies" on the "Reply to Thread" page, so that's how I call them here.

This has been going on for years and it's nothing new. Alot of gay soldiers fought and died for our country...we don't see them as homosexuals. we see them as heroes of the nation who fight for our rights, freedom, justice, u name it and yet, they are hypocrites to say homosexuality marriage is illegal while some states are allowing it then in the future the whole country will allow it. Why? because its human rights that's why.

I read one story somewhere that one of the soldiers was saved by another soldier during the attack, and he's gay and he worked harder than the other soldiers taking everything seriously and all, so he was grateful that he saved his life and that he should get a very good reward for that but former President Bush is heavily against homosexual marriages and he said "fuck you" to Bush for the soldier who saved his life and act like he don't deserve anything.

Seriously, what is this? kindergarten? Ewww I'm going to get gay cooties!

grow the fuck up, USA. :roll:

It's not just USA but just people who made change it.

Ugh, I have bad headache right now. :roll:

For me, I don't support Don't Ask, Don't Tell because it is unfair to gay soldiers and it is unacceptable to discharge the gay soldiers if they haven't do illegal sex or something, even straight soldiers should be discharge for illegal sex, such as not focus on duties or wars.

Military is supposed to defend our country and responsibility about duties, regardless on sex orientation.

yes military is supposed to defend our country but it's important for them to do the job effectively. If they cannot do their duty effectively because of presence of homosexual soldiers, then..... what can we do? It is the matter of life and death situation - something that the civilians cannot easily grasp. Military World is not the same as Civilian World

well there's no such thing as "illegal sex" unless you're talking about rape and sexual harassment. But fraternization in military is against the rule.

yes military is supposed to defend our country but it's important for them to do the job effectively. If they cannot do their duty effectively because of presence of homosexual soldiers, then..... what can we do? It is the matter of life and death situation - something that the civilians cannot easily grasp. Military World is not the same as Civilian World

well there's no such thing as "illegal sex" unless you're talking about rape and sexual harassment. But fraternization in military is against the rule.

I means illegal sex as sodomy because I believe that sodomy is illegal in US military.

I agree with you about military world and civilian world aren't same, that how my father told me and it was tough job.

Back