Don't Ask, Don't Tell

chucky69

Reaction score
OK - I haven't really seen this issue here, so will start it ................

I personally believe this idea should go by the way side, or as I have been plugging into various papers this morning ............

I just don't see why they need to do a study - for a year!

Mostly because 100% of our service personnel knowingly knows who is/isn't gay, in the military already.

This is 2010 - not 1910. Where we have a plethora of evidence to show that ones sexuality can't be imposed on someone who doesn't want that particular life-style. Nor does homosexuality equate to greater occurrence of child molesting, rape, drug abuse and other stuff found in the main-stream of American society.

Some of us Christians, or supposed Christians, need to get of our - "Puritanical arses", and quit believing that lie that homosexuality will be the doom of this Country, and or God will remove his hand from said same. After all - homosexuality has been around for thousands of years!

So let's wake up and smell the coffee, flowers, or whatever you like - and let those who want to serve do so openly - regardless of sexual orientation. And forget this notion about another - "Study".

-charles

big reason that is not an huge issue in the GLBT community within the Deaf community is the simple fact that the deaf arent in the military.

Construction business

Looking at the construction business in general I can say the last thing we want to know is whether one of our fellow workers is gay. We do not want to know, we do not want to think about it, we do not want to care. On that basis it works good,it fits with our group mind. Why fix it? Seriously Why fix it? It is exactly the same as "don't ask don't tell" except there is no written rule. With as many guys as there are in the business of course there are some gays and they get along just fine as long as it their own business and not ours.

Looking at the construction business in general I can say the last thing we want to know is whether one of our fellow workers is gay. We do not want to know, we do not want to think about it, we do not want to care. On that basis it works good,it fits with our group mind. Why fix it? Seriously Why fix it? It is exactly the same as "don't ask don't tell" except there is no written rule. With as many guys as there are in the business of course there are some gays and they get along just fine as long as it their own business and not ours.
One difference between the construction business and the military is that military people often live with each other 24/7. They don't get to choose their roommates. When they're deployed they don't have private bathrooms or bedrooms. The military is not just a 9-to-5 job.

Top military brass are starting to recognize the damage this policy is doing to the psyche of our soldiers.

"No matter how I look at the issue...I cannot escape being troubled by the fact that we have in place a policy which forces young men and women to lie about who they are in order to defend their fellow citizens...For me, it comes down to integrity -- theirs as individuals and ours as an institution."

-- Admiral Mike Mullen, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Colin Powell is also for the repeal of DADT.

One difference between the construction business and the military is that military people often live with each other 24/7. They don't get to choose their roommates. When they're deployed they don't have private bathrooms or bedrooms. The military is not just a 9-to-5 job.

What does that suppose to mean?

So?

Top military brass are starting to recognize the damage this policy is doing to the psyche of our soldiers.

Colin Powell is also for the repeal of DADT.

At one time, I think that's true but I heard he said it is time to review that issue again.

At one time, I think that's true but I heard he said it is time to review that issue again.

Yes, he (Colin Powell) said it's time to revisit the issue, as in, "It's time to reconsider DADT and what it's worth."

Back in the Clinton Admin, he was one of the people who helped bring DADT into effect. Now he's admitting that times have changed and it's time to reconsider.

It works good for you. For the straight people who are being comforted, not for the gay people who have to hide who they are.

Why should gay people have to accommodate you? If you can casually mention your wife or girlfriend, why can't your co-worker casually mention his partner or boyfriend? More often than not gay people aren't "pushing" gayness any more than straight people "push" their heterosexuality, so the discomfort around finding out is homophobia pure and simple.

Why should it be changed? Because it hurts gay people to have to constantly hide and censor their lives, and to have to make near-robotic divisions in their lives just because some co-worker feels a little uncomfortable.

It works good for you. For the straight people who are being comforted, not for the gay people who have to hide who they are.

Why should gay people have to accommodate you? If you can casually mention your wife or girlfriend, why can't your co-worker casually mention his partner or boyfriend? More often than not gay people aren't "pushing" gayness any more than straight people "push" their heterosexuality, so the discomfort around finding out is homophobia pure and simple.

Why should it be changed? Because it hurts gay people to have to constantly hide and censor their lives, and to have to make near-robotic divisions in their lives just because some co-worker feels a little uncomfortable.

:gpost:

ok. this issue is extremely tricky and not easily understood. If having a gay soldier in the squad is causing a conflict among them, then he/she must be removed. It's a very serious matter because the lives can be lost. As Reba said - military is not a 9-5 job. it's a 24/7 job - anywhere, anytime. They depend on each other to watch out for their 6. They can die at any moment.

Just something to think about for gay soldiers - being a woman in military is already hard enough.

What difference does it make if construction is 24/7?
Construction workers only work together; they aren't forced to live together. When their work day is done they can go their separate ways. In the military, people are together all the time, often in tight quarters. In some places military members have to "hot bunk." That means, they take turns using the same bunks. They shower together in open bays. There is no privacy. There is no quitting if they don't like it.

Comparing a job (construction) with a way of life (military) is not equivalent. Military people work, eat, sleep, bathe, train, suffer, and celebrate together. They spend more time with their shipmates and comrades in arms than they do their own spouses and families. It's not a daily commuter job that they can quit at any time.

Back