Don't Ask, Don't Tell

What difference does it make, Reba if they have to share tight space and same bunk?

What difference does it make, Reba if they have to share tight space and same bunk?
Are construction workers required to do that with their co-workers?

I know what you're thinking - you think homosexuals would "prey" on them.

"In 1993, Gregory M. Herek, Ph.D., associate research psychologist at the University of California at Davis and a national authority on heterosexuals' attitudes toward lesbians and gay men, testified before the House Armed Services Committee, chaired by Representative Ron Dellums. Dr. Herek testified on behalf of the American Psychological Association and five other national professional organizations. Those organizations were the American Psychiatric Association, the National Association of Social Workers, the American Counseling Association, the American Nursing Association, and the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States. Dr. Herek stated: "My written testimony to the Committee summarizes the results of an extensive review of the relevant published research from the social and behavioral sciences. That review is lengthy. However, I can summarize its conclusions in a few words: The research data show that there is nothing about lesbians and gay men that makes them inherently unfit for military service, and there is nothing about heterosexuals that makes them inherently unable to work and live with gay people in close quarters."

So you honestly think homosexuals are sex fiends wanting to have sex with straight men in quarters?

Other countries allow openly gays in military and they don't know why US is so anal about it since it's hardly an issue for them.

Should I be surprised?

Even there are some animals that are homosexuals as well so...not just on humans.

It's all part of how nature and life works, some for heterosexual, some for homosexual, etc...It can be strange but if you think more about it, it's not really cause it's just different.

It hasnt been around for thousands of years...it has been around ALOT more than that even before humans existed.

If you think you're a mind reader don't give up your day job.

So you honestly think homosexuals are sex fiends wanting to have sex with straight men in quarters?
I never said that.

Do you honestly think that straight men are comfortable sharing close living quarters with gay men? Do you honestly think straight women are comfortable sharing close living quarters with straight men? Even if they aren't "sex fiends" there is an element of sexual tension involved, and you are the one being unrealistic if you don't realize that.

Other countries allow openly gays in military and they don't know why US is so anal about it since it's hardly an issue for them.
"Other countries" allow lots of things that we don't--so what? That's their problem. Why should we copy everything that they do? The American military does not belong to "other countries."

"Do you honestly think that straight men are comfortable sharing close living quarters with gay men? Do you honestly think straight women are comfortable sharing close living quarters with straight men? Even if they aren't "sex fiends" there is an element of sexual tension involved, and you are the one being unrealistic if you don't realize that. "

Yes, many straight men are fine with homosexuals in tight quarters. It's the prejudice that's the problem. You don't vote for a ban because of a few people's prejudice. It's not acceptable.

That's EXACTLY the same argument that white men had against blacks being in military. They hate blacks and don't want them in tight quarters. It's no different from the argument against homosexuals.

Should I be surprised?

Even there are some animals that are homosexuals as well so...not just on humans.
So? Some animals eat their own poop too, and I wouldn't recommend that either.

...It hasnt been around for thousands of years...it has been around ALOT more than that even before humans existed.
You mean some one actually researched and proved that animals were homosexuals before humans existed? I'd like to see that "proof" before commenting on it.

As an ex military man myself I was in the service before the don't ask don't tell policy and stationed aboard a ship the quarters were damn close. I have to say that there were several openly gay men on my ship that nobody really had any problems with. There were a few rednecks aboard that would give them shit once and a while but overall nothing remarkable. There were never any advances for sex that I was aware of. One of the gay dudes was a black man that was also a body builder. I don't think anyone would mess with him and not only that he was a nice guy. I really don't think there is a problem as long as nobody is trying to make any sexual advances or sexually harasses others.

As an ex military man myself I was in the service before the don't ask don't tell policy and stationed aboard a ship the quarters were damn close. I have to say that there were several openly gay men on my ship that nobody really had any problems with. There were a few rednecks aboard that would give them shit once and a while but overall nothing remarkable. There were never any advances for sex that I was aware of. One of the gay dudes was a black man that was also a body builder. I don't think anyone would mess with him and not only that he was a nice guy. I really don't think there is a problem as long as nobody is trying to make any sexual advances or sexually harasses others.
I'm curious. Since no one was asking or telling, what do you mean by "openly" gay?

As an ex military man myself I was in the service before the don't ask don't tell policy and stationed aboard a ship the quarters were damn close... I really don't think there is a problem as long as nobody is trying to make any sexual advances or sexually harasses others.

Exactly - if they're harassing, then it's wrong. No one deserves to be harassed. Sexual or mental harassment is harmful. Harassment ALWAYS show lack of respect.

Even straight men have been harassed even sexually by their own colleagues for different reasons. If a gay man harasses a straight man, he deserves to be kicked out. The same can be said for visa versa.

I know a few gays in military and I asked them about serving - most said it's hardly an issue and many of them KNOW about them and don't care at all. However, there's one particular gay man - he's very short and skinny - 5'3", has pizza face, and he's socially awkward - he said he's been harassed for being gay but I believe that even if he's straight, he would likely be harassed for being a little guy and being a dork. Even with that, we shouldn't harass our fellows no matter how short, fat, tall, dorky they are.

That's why I think it's pure non-sense that homosexuals are banned from serving openly. It attacks their intergrity and it demoralizes homosexuals who could benefit from being open and honest.

"In 1993, Gregory M. Herek, Ph.D., associate research psychologist at the University of California at Davis and a national authority on heterosexuals' attitudes toward lesbians and gay men, testified before the House Armed Services Committee, chaired by Representative Ron Dellums. Dr. Herek testified on behalf of the American Psychological Association and five other national professional organizations. Those organizations were the American Psychiatric Association, the National Association of Social Workers, the American Counseling Association, the American Nursing Association, and the Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States. Dr. Herek stated: "My written testimony to the Committee summarizes the results of an extensive review of the relevant published research from the social and behavioral sciences. That review is lengthy. However, I can summarize its conclusions in a few words: The research data show that there is nothing about lesbians and gay men that makes them inherently unfit for military service, and there is nothing about heterosexuals that makes them inherently unable to work and live with gay people in close quarters."

huh? that's not even the main pivotal argument in here. It's the people who are not comfortable with gay people in any matter. Recall a thread where a couple of men said - "as long as they do not touch me, we're cool". Some people have personal issue with it - could be religious reason. could be their POV.

I have no problem with working/living/celebrating/showering with gay people like the way soldiers do on daily basis but I acknowledge the existence of uncomfortable atmosphere that homosexuality can creates in any place.

Just because other countries allow openly gays in military doesn't mean those gay people are treated the same way as heterosexual people.

Yes, many straight men are fine with homosexuals in tight quarters. It's the prejudice that's the problem. You don't vote for a ban because of a few people's prejudice. It's not acceptable.

That's EXACTLY the same argument that white men had against blacks being in military. They hate blacks and don't want them in tight quarters. It's no different from the argument against homosexuals.

are you sure about that?

huh? that's not even the main pivotal argument in here. It's the people who are not comfortable with gay people in any matter. Recall a thread where a couple of men said - "as long as they do not touch me, we're cool". Some people have personal issue with it - could be religious reason. could be their POV.

You are NEVER allowed to touch, you know?

Back