DOD Asks: How Would You Feel Showering With Gays?

totally agree. Being gay doesn't mean you automatically want to jump every same sex person's bones. :roll:

The race/sex comparison doesn't work when talking about surveys here. Even the most racist and sexist of bigots have had some kind of exposure to women and other races. But most homophobes grow up with the idea that everyone is straight and that even when someone "chooses" to be gay, it's a rare thing, not like being a woman or of color. Homosexuality has a mysterious element to it that race and sex don't have because race and sex are for the most part much more visible than sexual orientation.

+1

i wouldnt feel too comfortable but then again truth be told i have always wanted to ask them 'would you want a shower just for gays?, like in the same was as a trans might decide if men or women toilet to use?' but in reality I would never ever ask that, and if anything , i would surely like to see some answers in documentarys on tv...

the issue is forcing someone to accept something they do not see as moral. It is infringement.

You may not have a problem with it, but someone else may have religious issues.

Unless the gay in the bathroom is forcing you to have sex with them, they are not forcing you to accept anything. Get a grip.

Morale would change. Don't take my word......I asked my lesbian friend. She is a Marine. Served for 8 years. She is very much against repealing DADT.

But being open regarding your sexual orientation would still be a choice, even if DADT was repealed. If you are uncomfortable stating your sexual orientation in this context, simply refrain from doing so. And allow those who are comfortable with it do as they see fit in their own circumstances.

Nothing would change in the sense that gays are already in the military, showering right along with everyone else, and yet there seems not to be any major issues, so what difference does it make if the straight members happen to know? They might feel uncomfortable at first but eventually they'll probably realize that being gay doesn't mean you have to automatically screw any moving thing of the same sex.

You are correct. Nothing would change. The surprise level might go up a bit when some find out who is actually gay, but that is not important.:giggle:

No lies.......You just don't talk about your personal life with your co workers. Pretty simple.

And repealing DADT won't change that. You still won't have to discuss your personal life with your co-workers.

What in this world is universally accepted? The difference being, the research is there to support Kinsey's conclusions.
There is also research that refutes Kinsey's conclusions.

If Kinsey's research supported each of the following statements, then he didn't do enough research within the normal American population.

1. Everyone is a little bit gay.

2. Only prudes who don't really like sex are 100% straight.

3. Those are the missionary only people.

There is also research that refutes Kinsey's conclusions.

If Kinsey's research supported each of the following statements, then he didn't do enough research within the normal American population.

1. Everyone is a little bit gay.

2. Only prudes who don't really like sex are 100% straight.

3. Those are the missionary only people.

I'd suggest that Kinsey's research has stood the test of time and review. Just because it does not agree with your personal experience does not mean that it isn't valid.

Would you share some of the research to which you referred with us? Name of the person conducting the experiment will be sufficient. I can take it from there.

I'd suggest that Kinsey's research has stood the test of time and review. Just because it does not agree with your personal experience does not mean that it isn't valid.

Would you share some of the research to which you referred with us? Name of the person conducting the experiment will be sufficient. I can take it from there.
I didn't say anything about it being my research or my personal experience.

There is criticism of Kinsey's lack of random sampling, the fact that the majority of participants in his male study were incarcerated prisoners , and his face-to-face interviewing techniques.

As an aside, Kinsey was also a supporter of eugenics and the "survival of the fittest" philosophy. Was he valid in that viewpoint also?

People shouldn't care who they shower with. If they fear for their safety, wait until nobody is around! It's not like we're showering in prison here...

I have been in showers with gay/lesbians. It was never a problem. They didn't hit on anyone while in the shower. Most times they are more polite and better in tune with themselves. As long as everybody understands their position and place, I don't see a problem. The problem comes with it being everybody else's business. It's common knowledge that schools have showers for the student after PE and it's common knowledge that the military will have showers on base and elsewhere. Why does this need to be gone over. It should be a case of, keep you hands to yourself and don't invade my personal space.

People shouldn't care who they shower with. If they fear for their safety, wait until nobody is around! It's not like we're showering in prison here...
In military situations you don't always have a choice about shower time.

Back