• No: Explain why?

Votes: 24 88.9%
  • Neutral: Explain why?

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aloholism is a disease.

Maybe it is. I don't know to be honest. It just some people argue it is and some argue it is not. I suppose it whole different debate from this.
I was just make point the way different people view types of illness

No, of course not. I can't believe someone would said that deafness is a disease, it can caused by sickness or disease or accidents or whatever, so therefore deafness is a symptom and not a disease. ;)

Wow! Thank you for vote on polls. It's common.

My voted is no! The deafness isn't a disease. I was born deaf from heredity family. The ear infection is not a disease.

Well, that's where it makes no sense.

Deafness OR blindness is not considered a "disease" but I don't understand exactly what defines a "disease." If deafness or blindness is an impairment of health, then it should be called a "disease" but it's not exactly the way it's defined. Not even doctors would call it a "disease." Is mental retardation a "disease?"

I dunno.

I have a night blindness. I still have retina disease since I was born with retinitis pigmentosa as Usher syndrome. My vision is poor at dark and night. The vision have different kind of disease condition and the blindness people from born isn't a disease. I rather Hear Again will answer your question. Because she was born blinds. Blindness and vision disease are different.

Deafness isn't a disease. You're right. I disagree with one guy said that he isn't accept be deaf and he think deafness is a disease. He wanted to be hearing as perfect. That is not helpful.

Right, but cancer is not infectious or transmittable but is considered a "disease."

Diseases are categorized as either infectious or a malfunction/dysfunction of proteins. Deafness doesn't fall under the protein definition either. Diseases like cancer and diabetes fall under the protein malfunction/dysfunction definition. Deafness doesn't fall under either.

I have a night blindness. I still have retina disease since I was born with retinitis pigmentosa as Usher syndrome. My vision is poor at dark and night. The vision have different kind of disease condition and the blindness people from born isn't a disease. I rather Hear Again will answer your question. Because she was born blinds. Blindness and vision disease are different.

Deafness isn't a disease. You're right. I disagree with one guy said that he isn't accept be deaf and he think deafness is a disease. He wanted to be hearing as perfect. That is not helpful.

:gpost:

Exactly! Retinitis pigmentosa, glaucoma, macular degeneration...etc. Those are diseases. Blindness is not!

People can be born blind from a disease but again the cause of blindness is the disease, not the blindness itself.

Okay, I have a question. How about hearing people consider that they have hearing disorder.

Speech disorder???

I watched a commercial on TV about Sprint for blackberry, palm treo, and other cellphone with relay for hearing impaired, and speech disabilities, Hard of hearing and Deaf.

Okay, I have a question. How about hearing people consider that they have hearing disorder.

Speech disorder???

I watched a commercial on TV about Sprint for blackberry, palm treo, and other cellphone with relay for hearing impaired, and speech disabilities, Hard of hearing and Deaf.

For people like apraxia but I dont think deaf people have speech disorders. We dont have full access to spoken languages like hearing people do so how can we have speech disorders? *question is not directed at you, Pinky..just asking in general*

Speech disabilities are just like deafness: not themselves a disease. They might be caused by a disease but aren't themselves a disease.

Not a disease. Hereditary in my case. Just a way of being to me.

Doctors and many other people look at deafness as something to be "fixed," like deaf people we are broken appliances. I don't know if these people consider deafness a disease or if they just want to make everyone like themselves.

I'm happy with myself and my life so I don't understand this idea.

Deafness IMO is a result from and illness/disease or a genetic/hereditary condition. Deafness in itself IS NOT a disease.
Personal example of disorder vs disease
I know I carry the gene for Albinism. My father has Albinism w/ sever vision problems. Would I call this a disease? No, it's a genetic disorder with a very obvious result. Little to no melanin production, resulting in white hair, extremely pale skin and pale blue or red irises.

Definitely not.

It's only a disease (not physically, but psychologically) if you treat it that way.

I guess it depends on "deafness" itself.

Deafness can be seen from a literal point of view or a figurative point of view.

Literally, it would be a person being deaf physically.

Figuratively, it would be a person being ignorant (or similar attitudes).

If a person became deaf because of a disease, then you wouldn't say that deafness was a disease... but a side effect of that disease. If deafness was really a disease, I would go running around coughing, sneezing, breathing, touching, poking, and everything at people just to make them deaf as well. ;)

Figuratively, there are a lot of people who are ignorant towards other. They don't listen to reasoning or logic, just too stubborn and refuse to listen to anyone but themselves. It's like in the movie Me, Myself, and Irene where the main character's wife gave birth to 3 baby boys... all black. He and his wife were white. Yet, he refused to acknowledge that his wife was having an affair with a black man... no matter how many times people tried to point it out to him.

If a person's belief with following another person's belief is very strong, then the deafness of that person could be like a disease... spreading to others who also refuse to listen to reason or logic.

My daughter has what the doctors termed Speech and language delays or disabilities. She had an oxygen cut-off at birth due to her size and her head was cocked over at a 45 degree angel. We had to prop it up between 2x4's wrapped in towels. She still, 15 years later, when she is tired her head will lean to the same side where it was cocked over. With the problem in her neck and the oxygen cut-off, she had poor muscle tone in her face and neck. She took a bunch of speech therapy and was on disability for a while. SS dropped her due to a 75% "understandability" of her speech. Not very many people can understand her talking at all. She is no longer in speech therapy since they said she will never get better.

Back