Are you from California?

• Yes

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • No, but I'm thinking of moving there

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters
You sure do act like a Christian. Why you so mean?

Mean?? Why would I want to mislead someone whose interested in moving to California. You are exactly doing that not getting your facts right first of all. You just can't handle all heap everyone gives you bec your nonsense topics.

I don't have to show fact or proof.

I'm just speaking from my experience... when I was out there in California.

You don't have to argue with me.

And I don't have to be in California for 20 years to figure it out.

Living 3 years in California is enough. I was still bored there.

And do the things there in California, cost money. You gotta pay admission fees to do those things.

California is all hyped... it isn't anything.

Here is some stuff about California people....

Minorities hit hardest by U.S. housing crisis By Dana Ford
Sun Nov 25, 8:05 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - In May, Alvin Clavon received a foreclosure notice on the simple, Spanish-style house in South Los Angeles that he shares with his wife and three boys.

Clavon bought the place in 2003 with a fixed-rate loan. They painted the walls, fixed the yard and made friends with the neighbors, who let the Clavon boys pick their basil.

In 2005, Clavon worked with a mortgage broker to refinance his home with another fixed-rate loan. But on the night before signing, the family was offered an interest-only, adjustable-rate mortgage.

Clavon, a 35-year-old executive assistant at a bank, said he felt stuck. The ball was rolling, he trusted his broker and so the next day, he signed the loan.

"Turned out to be the worst thing I could have done," said Clavon, who like so many others in danger of losing their home to the U.S. housing crisis, is African American.

The Clavons live in a zip code, 90047, with one of the largest black populations in the city, and also one of the highest rates of foreclosure -- a common combination.

Researchers agree minorities are more likely than whites to get high-cost mortgages, but analysts can't agree why.

Does the 90047 zip code have a high foreclosure rate because African Americans were forced into high-cost loans? Or is the area's foreclosure rate the result of economics?

Either way, say some minority and housing activists, the fact that minorities are disproportionately hurt by lending practices in the United States is real -- and so are its consequences.

RACE OR RISK?

Study after study show that minorities are more likely than whites to get subprime mortgages, which are high-cost loans made to people with poor credit. In its heyday earlier this decade, the subprime market was cheered as an avenue through which historically shut-out borrowers could get loans. That frequently meant minorities.

So long as home prices rose, the subprime market seemed a positive example of how to increase home ownership, but as the housing market weakened this year, many began to question whether the loans were fairly priced.

In September, the Federal Reserve released a study that found 52.8 percent of African-Americans got a high-cost home loan when they refinanced in 2006, compared to 37.7 percent of Latinos and just 25.7 percent of whites in the same year.

A similar study by the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, known by its acronym ACORN, in September found the same pattern even when income was equal.

According to ACORN, upper-income blacks were 3.3 times, and Latinos 3 times, more likely than upper-income whites to have a high-cost loan when purchasing a home in 2006.

"I keep hoping one day I'll do a study where race doesn't play a part," said Liz Wolff, author of the ACORN study.

"But clearly, there is a racial bias," she added.

Jay Brinkmann, vice president of research and economics at the Mortgage Bankers Association, disagrees.

He believes that if researchers could account for all the factors that go into pricing a mortgage, they would find race doesn't matter.

"The pricing is based on risk, not race," said Brinkmann.

THE AMERICAN DREAM

The answer may be decided in court.

In July, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, or NAACP, filed a discrimination suit against 11 of the country's largest lenders, saying minorities are steered toward high-cost loans more often than whites, even after all risk factors are considered.

The ACORN study found that high foreclosure rates cause higher rates of crime, lower tax revenue and property values. In other words, whole minority communities, not just individuals, are hurt when houses go under, said Hilary Shelton, director of the Washington D.C. Bureau of the NAACP.

"The individual stories are heart-wrenching," said Shelton. "Part of the American dream, is being able to have a safe secure home where you can raise your family."

"But if we go beyond that and see how it affects entire groups ... we know there is a racial factor," said Shelton.

Despite the foreclosure notice on his house, Clavon still owns it. He'd like to sell, but can't find a buyer.

"The facts are there. So-called minorities are disproportionately represented in these loans," Clavon said about subprime lending.

"You can make out of that what you will."

And do the things there in California, cost money. You gotta pay admission fees to do those things.

Your so negative about California. I lived in the southern states doesn't mean I go around puttin it down and critizing it. Some people appreciate the country and living a simple life. It doesn't mean , I know everything about that state bec I am not a native catch my drift? I am a native Calfornia yes, that means born and raised here. I do know the lifestyle here more than you do. Your misleading period!

Your so negative about California. I lived in the southern states doesn't mean I go around puttin it down and critizing it. Some people appreciate the country and living a simple life. It doesn't mean , I know everything about that state bec I am not a native catch my drift? I am a native Calfornia yes, that means born and raised here. I do know the lifestyle here more than you do. Your misleading period!

why we have to be positive?

if I ask you "should i go see that movie"... and you know that the movie suck but you will tell me that the movie is good and don't care if I
pay $10 for movie ticket and popcorn.
All because you want to be positive????

And you know I won't ask you anymore question about any other movies,
I might go ask someone else next time.

you want Alex to spend thousands and thousands dollars on California...
I know he will move to California because people being positive here...

but he probably got my negative comment somewhere log in his brain...
He'll probably think, DFM is right, I gotta move back to New Jersey before I get evicted.

DEFINE bored... Why were you bored in California? I'd love to hear the details and point out why you were bored... There's many way not to to get bored!

There's too much off-topicness here. Alex just wants to know who here is from California, not the pros and cons of living here as I am sure Alex knows what he is doing.

There's too much off-topicness here. Alex just wants to know who here is from California, not the pros and cons of living here as I am sure Alex knows what he is doing.

Gotta amen with you there :o

You're right, and I'm guilty of off-topicness myself.

Alex is pretty savvy financially, so I'm sure he can handle it. Once he knows the area he's interested in, he can contact a real estate agent and get the real nitty gritty info that he needs.

He's also young enough to take a plunge, and if it doesn't work out, so what? He'll be enriched for the experience of new places and new people. New Jersey will still be there if he wants to move back.

(Off topic again--I've lived in New Jersey, too, heh, heh.)

I'm thinking somewhere in Orange County. I've checked apartments for rent at CL and the rates seem reasonable. Anyone been to Huntington Beach before? Thoughts? See this link: orange county apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

There's no particular reason for me moving there. I just want to live there for a while for experience. NJ will always be my favorite state no matter what, though. ;)

I don't need to find a job when I move over there because I work online 99% of the time.
Go for it!

DEFINE bored... Why were you bored in California? I'd love to hear the details and point out why you were bored... There's many way not to to get bored!

what am I suppose to do in California?

I can't swim, I don't want sharks to get me if I go to the Ocean.

Nothing to do but shopping shopping shopping.

what else?

Looking up the sky and watch flying helicopters trying to catch
criminals?

Looking at a drunk heroin addict woman who couldn't stand
still on a city bus?

Get jumped on by 2 black girls from Compton?

Sit next to a prostitute with her pimp on the city bus?

What is so excited about that?

And then seeing a deaf woman with 5 small children, living
in 2 bedroom apartment. Ewww.

wrong DFM that is your opnion

MINE opnion lot of thing to see in CA not just shopping they HAVE museums and etc...
i have been there 2 times will go there again next year 2008

wow you are a negitive person DFM

:werd: !!

Yep was from California - born and raised in Southern California - wish I could return! It will always be considered my homestate. :bowdown:

I was born and raised in southern California. There are so many things to do here. It is expensive, but if you know that before you move and you can afford it then it is the best place to live. I complain about how expensive it is to live here but I wouldn't move for the life of me. If you like beach you, it's right there for you. If you like the mountains (snow) it is less then 2 hours. You like desert sports, you are an hour away. You are able to do almost anything you want and it is within driving distances. Someone mention something about shopping. I think this is what my teenage daughter loves the most, there are so many different types of stores, malls, and outlet centers close by. Yeah we have wild fires and earthquakes, if you are really concern about wildfires don't live in area that can be affected. There has never been a wildfire in Huntington Beach. Earthquakes can happen but you just prepare yourself and you live in your life. There are dangers everywhere in this life, we cannot hide in the closet and be scared to live our lives. Also there is huge population of deaf people in orange county. The Block at the city of Orange has a Starbucks night. I have gone many times with my children and they love it. We have great colleges here and some really organized and with great support centers for the deaf.

wrong DFM that is your opnion

MINE opnion lot of thing to see in CA not just shopping they HAVE museums and etc...
i have been there 2 times will go there again next year 2008

wow you are a negitive person DFM

All states got museums.

yeah California got a lot of trees and houses on hills.

Wildfires and mudslides, ack.

Alex, if you want to go, GO!

Don't wait until you're 70 years old, looking back on your life, and regretting that you never took the opportunity.

New Jersey will always be there if you change your mind. :)

:ugh3: :ugh3: :ugh3:

You brings too many negatives!!! I used to live in CA and I survived! There are so many things to do....either cost money or free. Depend. So quit be negatives!!!!

All states got museums.

yeah California got a lot of trees and houses on hills.

Wildfires and mudslides, ack.

:ugh3: :ugh3: :ugh3:

You brings too many negatives!!! I used to live in CA and I survived! There are so many things to do....either cost money or free. Depend. So quit be negatives!!!!

used to?

You ain't there now.

So you didn't survive, you had to move out for some reason.:giggle:

Right, Deafilmedia is NOT from Calfornia rest my case :)

Back