Do you have a writing problem?

Everybody have bad writing. So what.

In US, average people have 8th grade level English.

I just got here, so I have multiple comments:

Pinky - You're right to blame your deaf school. You were grew up in America and never became fluent in English. That's inexcusable in my book, except in the rare case with a child who is not capable of achieving fluency. (I'm assuming you're fluent in ASL, so you're capable of fluency in any language.)

Deafdyke - Yeah, Deaf kids are learning English as a second language. So are Mexican immigrant kids, and they're all fluent in English after a couple years of schooling, if they start young. (And it sounds like your "oral" friend quite likely has a language related learning disability.)

paperclip - You're absolutely right. Immersion is by far the best way to learn more advanced grammar, and reading is probably the most practical way to immerse yourself.

Pacman - I wouldn't call print books "old-fashioned." They haven't gone out of style yet. Printed stuff is usually better than online stuff for learning correct English, since it's all edited by professionals before it goes to press.

I just got here, so I have multiple comments:

Pinky - You're right to blame your deaf school. You were grew up in America and never became fluent in English. That's inexcusable in my book, except in the rare case with a child who is not capable of achieving fluency. (I'm assuming you're fluent in ASL, so you're capable of fluency in any language.)

Deafdyke - Yeah, Deaf kids are learning English as a second language. So are Mexican immigrant kids, and they're all fluent in English after a couple years of schooling, if they start young. (And it sounds like your "oral" friend quite likely has a language related learning disability.)

paperclip - You're absolutely right. Immersion is by far the best way to learn more advanced grammar, and reading is probably the most practical way to immerse yourself.

Pacman - I wouldn't call print books "old-fashioned." They haven't gone out of style yet. Printed stuff is usually better than online stuff for learning correct English, since it's all edited by professionals before it goes to press.

Another missionary!

I am bookworm. I have no problem reading any book, so writing should not be a problem for me, either. Though I don't like English, but I do find the language interesting yet complicated. When I understand the roots like in Latin, how the word is borrowed from Latin and why, I start to appreciate the language. If anyone, I mean ANYONE including hearing people, wants to improve their English, reading is the way to GO.

Right now, I'm trying to learn a new foreign sign language. It's Colombian, spoken in Spanish, but their sign language is not similar to LSM (Language Sign Mexican in Mexico).

Additional note- Comprehensive reading would help deaf kids in some areas like their critical thinking. It helps to boost their ability to reason (better logic) and grasp the understanding while educating themselves. If they want to do better in school, they get to educate themselves without too much reliance. Just a little bit would be fine.

Everybody have bad writing. So what.

In US, average people have 8th grade level English.

Yeah. Well, if we think way back in 1895 -

People who lived in Salina, Kansas finished school with an 8th grade education. We would reckon that they were plainly stupid but it's not the case.

Think what they had back in 1895... say, like technology? No calculator. No TV. No cell phone. LASTLY, no internet.

For the final exam, they had to take orthography, US history, arithmetic, and grammar. Today, most 8th graders wouldn't know what is orthography. Orthography is the writing/alphabetic system with rules that specifies the correct way to use when writing the language.

It's sad that people out there choose not to use their opportunity to educate in their life.

Thank goodness for the excellent technology today

Back