Do Southron Deaf sign with a drawl?

flameburns623

Reaction score
Do Yanks do ASL with a Nawth'un twang?

Foolishness and humor aside (no offense intended to Southerners, Northerners, nor users of ASL):

I hear oblique references to 'regional differences' in ASL. Can someone endeavor to describe to us what some of those 'regional differences' look like?

:giggle:...not really sure...I'm Southern, have the Southern & Deaf accent...my signing is "normal", I don't use those words..."ain't"..."howdy"..."ain't got none"...etc. Actually it irritates me to no end.

And speaking of that...today's generation has me completely baffled by their language...(hearies)...

It will take you seven years to fluency. You need to concentrate on learning to be understood and also understand in your region.

If you don't know and use ASL, the differences aren't rally going to have any meaning to you. And your question does bring out a misconception. ASL and English are completely different languages.

There are regional sign differences.

For example, in SC, we use different signs for CHICKEN and TRUCK.

:giggle:...not really sure...I'm Southern, have the Southern & Deaf accent...my signing is "normal", I don't use those words..."ain't"..."howdy"..."ain't got none"...etc. Actually it irritates me to no end.

And speaking of that...today's generation has me completely baffled by their language...(hearies)...
Heh, heh. Nobody down here (SC) says, "howdy"--that's more Southwestern. We say, "hey."

"Ain't" isn't regional--that's just non-standard English. I've heard just as much "ain't" in CT and MI as in SC. :lol:

I'm a hearie and I'm puzzled by today's generation of speakers/texters, too. :giggle:

Do Yanks do ASL with a Nawth'un twang?

Foolishness and humor aside (no offense intended to Southerners, Northerners, nor users of ASL):

I hear oblique references to 'regional differences' in ASL. Can someone endeavor to describe to us what some of those 'regional differences' look like?

Sure, if you look closely. For instsnce, some signs have variations, are distinctive to certain groups, speed, how it's drawn out, flaunted, swearing in between, etc.

In BSL there a few regional difference so is same in America..i take it you British...I BSL I do understand ASL but have think hard it stands to reason be some regional small changes it vast country
Americans don't like be called yanks I think it means roll of dutch cheese so be polite

In BSL there a few regional difference so is same in America..i take it you British...I BSL I do understand ASL but have think hard it stands to reason be some regional small changes it vast country
Americans don't like be called yanks I think it means roll of dutch cheese so be polite

:giggle:...have seen bumper stickers..."Go Home Yankee!"..."Damn Yankees!"....and "Who cares how you do it "Up North"?....:giggle:
And at the Beaches...."Enjoy "Our Beach"...NOW Go Home"!

give you example this English rather than sign I screaming for a fag (I given up) and my money in bum bag....would you scream down road I lost me fanny bag no way it no problem in States but they be mortified if shout down road get my fags..the variations would not be as extream as that:)and believe me I would kill for a fag at moment.

rr the saying is 'over paid over sexed and over here:)not sure about over sexed I think those yanks were boasting,the over sexed bit has not(so I am told)been proved:)

folk froM new enngland, 13 colonies ect. dont mind being called yanks...ive known bostonians that didnt mind.the yankee label..
old school.canucks call them insolent yanks
For what its worth...

folk froM new enngland, 13 colonies ect. dont mind being called yanks...ive known bostonians that didnt mind.the yankee label..
old school.canucks call them insolent yanks
For what its worth...

I'm a Connecticut Yankee, and proud of it! :lol:

I've lived in New England all my life, and never minded being called a Yankee or a Yank, at least not that I recall - it hasn't happened to me in a long time. I think people from the northeastern part of the country, especially, are generally proud of being called Yankees. I guess it's a bit like calling someone from Britain a "Brit." I mean, it could be used in a negative way, but in general I don't think most people - at least where I live - feel that it is, if that makes sense. Personally, if someone called me a "dirty Yankee" or something like that, I'd just laugh, because it would sound so silly as an insult :)

The exception for me is when "Yankee" refers to the New York Yankees baseball team, because I'm a Boston Red Sox fan, so I'm not a Yankees fan, even though I am a Yankee :) - Go Sawx!

I've lived in New England all my life, and never minded being called a Yankee or a Yank, at least not that I recall - it hasn't happened to me in a long time. I think people from the northeastern part of the country, especially, are generally proud of being called Yankees. I guess it's a bit like calling someone from Britain a "Brit." I mean, it could be used in a negative way, but in general I don't think most people - at least where I live - feel that it is, if that makes sense. Personally, if someone called me a "dirty Yankee" or something like that, I'd just laugh, because it would sound so silly as an insult :)

The exception for me is when "Yankee" refers to the New York Yankees baseball team, because I'm a Boston Red Sox fan, so I'm not a Yankees fan, even though I am a Yankee :) - Go Sawx!

"Yankee" is also a term people in the southern states use in regarding people who were part of the Union during the Civil War...that's actually how my grandparents met. My grandmother's family had lived in South Carolina since they came here from Ireland in the 1860s. She was visiting Washington D.C in the late 30s/early 40s, and a guy in her tour group was a smart a$$ to her and she turned around and called him a "D4mn Yankee"...they bickered the rest of the tour and actually started liking hanging out with each other later in the day. He liked taking pictures and asked her if she and her sister wouldn't mind posing by the Lincoln Memorial that same day...they ended up getting married and my mom still has that picture. We blew it up, made copies, the three of us (my mom, sister, and I) have it framed

Last edited:
I don't give toss if I called limey though rather did't' or whinging pom as auzzi call us,i I read more than once on this site yanks don't like being called yanks then read means roll of dutch cheese quite odd

Wingin pom........
Never see that before....wonder what means....

Wingin pom........
Never see that before....wonder what means....

Any Aussie tell you about whinging pomps as we are called...I think it in relation to brits moaning when we get there e.g heat insects snakes aussie, cricket list go on

I don't give toss if I called limey though rather did't' or whinging pom as auzzi call us,i I read more than once on this site yanks don't like being called yanks then read means roll of dutch cheese quite odd

I don't mind being called a Yankee, makes us special. I'm a Maine Yankee. Never heard of a roll of Dutch cheese as a Yankee, very odd!

Back