Deaths Reported in Minn. School Shooting

mlkshkgrl

Reaction score
Email this Story

Mar 21, 6:41 PM (ET)

RED LAKE, Minn. (AP) - As many as 14 people were injured and some killed in a shooting Monday at a Minnesota high school, authorities said. Tom Lyons, chief deputy for Beltrami County, said up to 14 people were injured in the mid-afternoon shooting at Red Lake High School in far northern Minnesota. Lyons said a suspect was in custody, but he had no other details.

The FBI did not say how many people had been killed and also declined to release details.

Red Lake High School, on the Red Lake Indian Reservation, has about 300 students, according to its Web site.

Audrey Thayer, who lives in Bemidji and works as a researcher for the American Civil Liberties Union's Minnesota chapter, said the reservation was locked down by police with roadblocks.

"They have got it closed off," she said.

The reservation is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities. It is home to the Red Lake Band of Chippewa Indians.

Oh dear... not another Colorado incident. On Indian Reservation? I bet it is part of certain agenda or something...

My prayers for these victims.

Official: Student kills 5 at school and grandparents
Shooter also believed dead at Minnesota high school
Monday, March 21, 2005 Posted: 7:33 PM EST (0033 GMT)

FBI special agent Paul McCabe speaks about the shooting during a news conference Monday.

(CNN) -- A student killed his grandparents before going on a shooting rampage, killing five and wounding as many as 12 at his northern Minnesota high school Monday, a fire official said.

Killed at Red Lake High School were four students, a teacher and a security guard, said Roman Stately, with the Red Lake Fire Department. The shooter is believed to be among the four dead.

"Apparently, he walked down the hallway shooting and then he entered a classroom, he shot several students and a teacher, then himself," said Stately, who arrived at the high school moments after the shots rang out.

Authorities discovered an hour later that the boy had shot and killed his grandparents, taking the service weapon of his grandfather, a policeman, Stately told KARE-TV.

"Everything is shut down," said Chief Deputy Tom Lyons of the Beltrami County Sheriff's Office.

The shootings occurred about 3 p.m. (4 p.m. ET), in Red Lake High School, a school of 300 student that is on a sovereign Indian reservation within Beltrami County, about 25 miles north of Bemidji, a town of about 25,000 residents, many of them Ojibway Indians, he said.

The school is about 240 miles north of the Twin Cities, near the Canadian border.

I hope they don't blame Matrix or Doom. :roll:

It sucks that these kids are doing these stupid things.

I wish we could go back to those days when we never even thought about bringing guns to school just to shoot people in the 1970s and 1980s.....man, this world is getting scary. :(

VamPyroX said:

I bet they will. Only time will tell...

VamPyroX said:

It will be impossible to sue the video game companies and Hollywood for infuencing violence in kids. Last time victims tried to sue the entertainment industry, the suit was thrown out of the court.

http://www.freedomforum.org/templates/document.asp?documentID=12139

U.S. District Judge Edward Johnstone dismissed the lawsuit based on findings that the video game makers could not foresee what Carneal would do, and that the games are media that are not subject to product-liability law.

However its so sad to see the latest spiral of school violence.

I blame this on movie theaters not enforcing the ratings code. R Means RESTRICTED!!! It doesnt mean for litte kids to watch it! I think now we must have a law theaters must ask for your ID before buying a ticket to an R rated movie. Cops should set traps like put an undercover cop looks like a kid asking to buy a ticket to an R Rated movie. If the ticket seller doesnt ask for your ID flash your badge and ask for the manager. The manager should be given a choice fire the employee on the spot or go to jail?

People in Europe and other countries watched these movies and they don't kill as many people as USA do.

I think it is because of bullies and people playing head games or mindgames.

My condoloences to those families of all victims who were involved in this terrible tragedy.

So far I heard it has rose up to 10 people killed.

OMG -- such a tragedy!

my condolences goes out to all the families of the victims :(

It's shame! I don't understand why the world anyone would do that!
My heart will go out to those families who lost their beloved ones.

*looking a my son* I am worry when I send my son to school. I need to find a bulletproof for my son to wear everyday to school.

LuckyGirl said:
People in Europe and other countries watched these movies and they don't kill as many people as USA do.

I think it is because of bullies and people playing head games or mindgames.

***nodding agreement sadly***

I would like to show those link what's also happened in Germany, too. It's last one was in 2002 (***knock on the wood***)

http://www.keystosaferschools.com/Erfurt042602.htm

German government blames those volience games and make strict law to protect the children.

The German law are stricter since those scandal in Erfurt of 2002. No children under 18 years allow to buy voilence PC games, DVD, toy guns, video tape etc after that happened in 2002.

Every stores are not allow to sell volience goods to children without parents's guardian. It's good and safety. My children knows my rule for not use volience PC games etc.

I remember one day, my son showed me volience game and want to have it. I told him about new law... My son want to test a lady either she can sell it to him or not. It surprised me when I watched the lady told him that she can't sell it to him without his parent's permission. If I am agree to let him buy then I get something for him, not himself. No volience games sells in every stores for underage children.

I think its time to make a law to make movie theaters enforce the R rating movie. Right now its volentary not all theaters enforce the ratings system.I think congress has to make this mandatory to protect the kids.

According to a doctor at one of those hospitals the victims were being attended to, the victims are/were males under the age of 18 and they happened to be random.

ravensteve1961 said:
I blame this on movie theaters not enforcing the ratings code. R Means RESTRICTED!!! It doesnt mean for litte kids to watch it! I think now we must have a law theaters must ask for your ID before buying a ticket to an R rated movie. Cops should set traps like put an undercover cop looks like a kid asking to buy a ticket to an R Rated movie. If the ticket seller doesnt ask for your ID flash your badge and ask for the manager. The manager should be given a choice fire the employee on the spot or go to jail?
uh actually, in the theatres near my town, as we go to see some R-rated films, a staff member is always standing by the doors asking customers for an ID before entering...even though we were asked for an ID before recieving a ticket from the box office out front, as well.

Serendipity said:
According to a doctor at one of those hospitals the victims were being attended to, the victims are/were males under the age of 18 and they happened to be random.
so I guess that freak has no good reason of killing them. :roll:

also if the movie is R rated then they should ask for ID or they must be accompanied by their parent or guardian.

Back