CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You and some others perceive it as a negative, while others perceive it as a positive. Therefore, no consensus.

Again confused and mistaken. You really are not familiar enough with the Deaf perspective to know what they perceive or how they perceive it, and quite obviously are not interested in learning anything about it.

You and some others perceive it as a negative, while others perceive it as a positive. Therefore, no consensus.

There will never be consensus on a topic like this. It can be used to describe a positive or a negative aspects. it can defined narrowly or broadly. A good politician can change the definition based on his/her need that day...

There will never be consensus on a topic like this. It can be used to describe a positive or a negative aspects. it can defined narrowly or broadly. A good politician can change the definition based on his/her need that day...

Exactly. As long as hearing are hearing, and Deaf are Deaf, there will cultural perceptions that differ. We, as Deaf, attempt to understand the hearing perspective. We have been forced to, by sheer fact of their majority. The problem is, they are unwilling to do same in the reverse. This thread is an excellent example of that.

Which is exactly why we need a Deaf political leader that is not afraid to use the agressiveness of a militant to get that point across.

Who perceives it as a positive?

From what I read it seems Beowulf felt it had a positive connotation. Grendel seems to have had experience with at least one or more individuals who identify as a "Deaf Militant" and it was positive in nature as well.

It's just like the word "dyke" for example. Some people perceive it as an insult, while others embrace the term and identify with it in pride.

No overall consensus.

From what I read it seems Beowulf felt it had a positive connotation. Grendel seems to have had experience with at least one or more individuals who identify as a "Deaf Militant" and it was positive in nature as well.

It's just like the word "dyke" for example. Some people perceive it as an insult, while others embrace the term and identify with it in pride.

No overall consensus.
that's it? just 2?

There's a difference between Deaf Militant and Deaf Rights Activist. Deaf militant is the one you cannot reason with. They resort to using aggressive scare tactic and they're hostile in nature.

No overall consensus.

You are interpreting posts from your own hearing perspective. That is why you are making so many mistakes in your assumptions of what people are saying.

And given that this topic is not about homosexual rights and perceptions, do not attempt to derail by bringing in ridiculous comparisons.

Right- that's pretty much in line with what I said. Funny how Jillio agrees with you, yet disagrees with me. LOL

The general agreement is that Deaf militant is a negative term. No one has disputed that.

I said that I want to reclaim the term. I know that you don't deal well with subtle distinctions, but that does not mean that I consider it a postitive term.

Right- that's pretty much in line with what I said. Funny how Jillio agrees with you, yet disagrees with me. LOL

Because that is not what you are saying at all. Cheeta has an in depth understanding of the difference between cultural perspectives and is able to apply it. She has demonstrated such through her various insighful posts. You have not been able to demonstrate such, and have made your motive and your purpose clear, to the degree that you cannot post without throwing out a barb at jillio as a member of the Deaf community.

The general agreement is that Deaf militant is a negative term. No one has disputed that.

I said that I want to reclaim the term. I know that you don't deal well with subtle distinctions, but that does not mean that I consider it a postitive term.

And I agree. We need to reclaim the term and make it a postive. The students involved in DPN should serve as an example. They were organized, unmovable, and precise. That is why so many in the hearing community supported their agenda.

Just as some lesbian women have reclaimed the term "dyke". Reclaim the term then, and help turn it into a positive. I don't really need to be patronized- I deal just fine with subtle distinctions.

I doubt anyone would argue to a Deaf couple that their deaf child is not culturally Deaf. If this is true, then why cannot a hearing parent that is properly educated raise a culturally Deaf child? Granted a child may not be able to understand the cultural label and it's many implications. This in no way takes away from the experiences that are unique to being deaf.

Labeling a child as Deaf to me means that the parent is taking into consideration their language needs, physical needs, emotional needs, and psychological needs. And taking that consideration to the next level by educating them selves on how a deaf child sees the world and how they can relate to their child on a deeper level. I believe it's the parents responsibility to teach moral, civic, and cultural idea.

Bottom line, a deaf child can be raised as culturally Deaf and the label "Deaf" is appropriate for any child that is being raised this way regardless of the hearing status of the parents.

I doubt anyone would argue to a Deaf couple that their deaf child is not culturally Deaf. If this is true, then why cannot a hearing parent that is properly educated raise a culturally Deaf child? Granted a child may not be able to understand the cultural label and it's many implications. This in no way takes away from the experiences that are unique to being deaf.

Labeling a child as Deaf to me means that the parent is taking into consideration their language needs, physical needs, emotional needs, and psychological needs. And taking that consideration to the next level by educating them selves on how a deaf child sees the world and how they can relate to their child on a deeper level. I believe it's the parents responsibility to teach moral, civic, and cultural idea.

Bottom line, a deaf child can be raised as culturally Deaf and the label "Deaf"
is appropriate for any child that is being raised this way regardless of the
hearing status of the parents.

Great post.

You are interpreting posts from your own hearing perspective. That is why you are making so many mistakes in your assumptions of what people are saying.

And given that this topic is not about homosexual rights and perceptions, do not attempt to derail by bringing in ridiculous comparisons.

I'm not derailing anything. I was providing an analogy which was on no way ridiculous.

Again, you are mistaken. It would do you benefit to attempt to learn from your mistakes rather than taking that defensive hearing perspective. It certainly is not winning you any points around here. Of course, if your purpose in being here is to come off as an objectionable, ill informed, mouthy hearie, then you have met your goal by the standards of the majority of AD members.:cool2:

You contribute virtually nothing to the deaf, Deaf, or HOH community in here. In fact, you contribute little that is valid for the hearing community, either. You are an argumentative, under educated, snobby, audist. Get over yourself.

LOL. Ok.

You know, I am getting oh, so tired of the few that seem to have some sort of a problem with me, as a hearing person, being accepted into the Deaf community, and speaking the same message that the Deaf speak. Of course, the issues with that is for those posters to deal with on their own, not in this forum. Every thread gets derailed with the petty attitudes.

The fact of the matter is, I did not walk into the Deaf community 25 years ago and become accepted as one of their own. It was a journey that I have traveled, and a journey that I still travel. My acceptance came after I dropped my defensiveness and my silly need to defend my perspective as a hearing person. My acceptance came after asking quesions and accepting the answers without having to correct each answer that was in opposition to my enculturated perspective as a hearing person. My acceptance came after stepping back and actually applying knowledge of sociological and psychological and anthropological learnings fluidly to the Deaf culture. My acceptance came after I stopped defending myself, and took correction for what it is: a correction of my perspective as applied to the Deaf and nothing more. It is not a comment on me as a person, nor is that so for anyone else. It is simply a correction of mistaken perception. For 25 years I have been a participant/observer in Deaf culture in the same way that an anthropologist is a participant/observer the the cultures they study and wish to understand from the member's perspective.

Until the new hearing members are able to to what I have done over time, they will never be able to gain the understanding of Deaf culture from a Deaf perspective that I have been able to gain. But it would appear that they are too frightened of letting go of their hearing perspective to make that journey.
And so, they simply keep spouting all of the same old attitude and perception that the Deaf have been hearing for centuries, thinking that they have come up something unique, and then getting defensive and hateful when they are corrected.

I am a hearing person who has, after years of effort, learning, and correction has willingly accepted the values of Deaf culture and have, for the most part willingly assimilated into Deaf culture. You cannot force your way in; you cannot change the culture with hearing perspectives no matter how much sense they make to you as a hearing person. You cannot gain acceptance until you have shown yourself to be worthy of acceptance, and a defender of what Deaf culture stands for. Do the work that I have done to get to the point that I have reached, and you will be able to drop your childish and petty irritation that I have gained what you cannot by the methods you employ. Stop your childish and argumentative tactics and learn something outside your own experience for a change. Until you do that, you have nothing positive to contribute to a forum designed for the deaf, of the deaf, and by the deaf.

I'm not derailing anything. I was providing an analogy which was on no way ridiculous.

It is not pertinent to this topic, and as such, is a derailment.

I don't recall asking a question of you. Therefore, I do not need or want a defensive and explanatory response from you. This is something that most 10 year olds understand. You evidently missed that day of social skills training.

Just as some lesbian women have reclaimed the term "dyke". Reclaim the term then, and help turn it into a positive. I don't really need to be patronized- I deal just fine with subtle distinctions.

so after reading bunch of threads... what is your conclusion you have reached - Is the term "Deaf Militant" negative or positive?

so after reading bunch of threads... what is your conclusion you have reached - Is the term "Deaf Militant" negative or positive?

I would perceive it as a negative, unless an individual who identified as such demonstrated that they've turned it into a positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back