CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One bottle of Excedrin Tension Headache coming up!!

So the horses are getting dizzy on the merry-go-round?

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
I definitely remember those postings from that person. For those who dont know, I told him off saying that HE took the easy way out by implanting his child because he wont have to learn a new language and meet people he is not comfortable with. He was such a prick!

If that was his reason to implant his child then he was an idiot. Hopefully he has wised up since then. It always pains me to see kids with HA's or CI's when the family doesn't use sign language.

Last edited:
If that was his reason to implant his child then he was an idiot. Hopefully he has wised up since then. It always pains me to see kids with HA's or CI's when the family doesn't use sign language.

I cant judge his reasons for implanting his child. He was an idiot for saying that not implanting children and having the child be exposed to the Deaf community and ASL the easy way out for a hearing parent.

Peace GrendelQ

I cant judge his reasons for implanting his child. He was an idiot for saying that not implanting children and having the child be exposed to the Deaf community and ASL the easy way out for a hearing parent.

My comment was based on what you said- that he chose to take the easy way out so he didn't have to use ASL. I was agreeing with you on that point, if that was in fact the case.

Said it before at the start of this thread, and I'll say it again, since you insist on obsessing over this and building up your imaginary Us. vs. Them division -- it's not for you to decide who is Deaf and who is not. It's not for you to label other people. You dismiss what my Deaf child says. I don't, and that's what matters.

I'm not obsessing... you are the one that continues to bring it up.:dunno2:

Nor is it for you to decide who is Deaf or not, which means all your claims regarding a 5 year old's identity as Deaf, by your designation, is moot!:laugh2:

See what happens when you try to hard to argue a position that is very tenable to begin with? You end up shooting yourself in the foot.:laugh2: Again!:laugh2:

I don't dismiss what your deaf child says. Neither am I so unrealistic to believe that she is capable of understanding and functioning cognitively as an adult. You seem to think she is. Just another way you are in complete denial.:lol:

Agreed. And we all know and understand the objectionable type of CI and oralist militant that this poster is. The newbies would do well to not jump in and get involved with something on which they have no understanding. But it seems to be one of their favorite mistakes to make.:giggle:

The overall feeling I'm getting from reading (most) of this thread is that the term "d/Deaf Militant" can mean different things to different people. I think for some it seems to have a negative connotation, while for others it can be a positive term.

I never saw Grendel assign anyone the label of "Deaf Militant"- more that she was trying to open a dialogue of what it means to different people. The responses seem to be varied, and there is no overall consensus of what "Deaf Militant" really means.

I can understand how for some it might have a positive connotation, while for others it reeks of negativity. So long as we don't assign labels to eachother (which I haven't seen Grendel do) we should be able to have a dialogue of the positive and negative aspects of the term. Although at this point the whole "Deaf Militant" thing may need a cooling off period.

CI- deaf or hearing? Has there been a consensus? I still say d/Deaf.

Then, you as well, are mistaken. You are reading the posts from a defensive hearing perspective. That results in many misunderstandings. Rather than being so quick to try to interpret and post your opinions, you should be devoting your time attempting to understand a persepctive other than your own and learning. You cannot teach what you do not know, and yet you continue to try to teach about topics on which you have only enough information to be dangerous.

Wirelessly posted

and every single person here gives jillio "a pass" when she calls people names, insults others and is hateful just for fun. Why? Because she agrees with you on a few things. What kind of character does that show?

No one has given me a pass on anything around here. I had to pay my dues here just as I have had to pay my dues in the Deaf community in general. I am held to certain standards just as anyone who is accepted in that community is held, and if I violate those standards, I am called out on it.

Your problem is that you don't want to pay your dues. You want unconditional acceptance despite your objectionable personality and your lack of knowledge and acceptance regarding the fundamental premises of Deaf.

Wirelessly posted

my 2 cents about the militant thing:

an extremist is someone who wants to take away someone elses choices. A militant is someone who tries to force others to do things their way, because it is "better for them".

Kind of like hearing parents that decide to go CI and oral only, huh?:laugh2:

Peace Oceanbreeze and hope the horses are finally resting.

She doesn't belittle the Deaf experience they way a lot of others do. That speaks volumes of character.

And we are all aware of numerous times that I have been called out on certain things. And when the Deaf call me out, I defer. When hearing parents who are so new to all of this call me out, I don't pay a great deal of attention.

She did that to me once. I was so furious and started frothing. Then I woke up. It was a dream.
Seriously, I haven't seen her do that. If she does, then shame, shame on her.

It is because I don't. Evidently, there are few around here that seem to think pointing out errors in thinking and belittling are the same thing.:laugh2: That is that defensiveness that always gets them into trouble around here.

People who are in here to learn about deafness and Deafness do not become offended when they are corrected. People who want to mistakenly believe that they already know it all and are unwilling to learn are the ones that become defensive and then begin to play the victim care, claiming to have been attacked. And what a shame that they cannot even be introspective enough to take a step back and have an honest look at their behavior. Consequently, they fail to see what everyone else sees them projecting.

Then, you as well, are mistaken. You are reading the posts from a defensive hearing perspective. That results in many misunderstandings. Rather than being so quick to try to interpret and post your opinions, you should be devoting your time attempting to understand a persepctive other than your own and learning. You cannot teach what you do not know, and yet you continue to try to teach about topics on which you have only enough information to be dangerous.

Please, do tell what I'm mistaken about. I stated that there was no one overall consensus on what d/Deaf Militant means. Anyone on this forum can reread the posts and come to the same conclusion as me. Sure, some individuals have their own idea of what it means but there is no clear definition that people have agreed on.

Get off this "defensive hearing perspective". You are wrong and get off on creating conflict that doesn't exist before you stir the pot.

What? One long assed sentence that throws 4++ things together???? Is that a way to be clear? I don't think so

and......
It was never about us between them..... quit that.

Correct. It is the very few that turn it into a "us vs. them" argument. This is evidenced by the huge number of complaints we see that claim that "jillio" as member of the Deaf community of AD, is constantly attacking and belittling the deaf, the hoh, and the hearing. They place the deaf, the hoh, and the hearing into one group, and the Deaf into another, and then do anything in they can to cause dissention between those groups by jumping in to defend and take sides with any post that they believe is contrary to the Deaf perspective. And when they are corrected, they again begin to twist and turn and play the old victim card.

The behavior is so predictable and old. Yet they think they are bringing ingenuity to the Deaf community. It is truly laughable. In fact, I sent out PMs are week-end predicting the behavior, and the only one that has not come true is the one that I predicted for the distant future, of perhaps a year. But my predictions, when made, have yet to not be accurate. And many AD members can attest to that. In fact, I predicted a certain members reversal in philosophy, as well as the decision to go bilateral, months before it actually happened. As I say, some are so transparent.

Please, do tell what I'm mistaken about. I stated that there was no one overall consensus on what d/Deaf Militant means. Anyone on this forum can reread the posts and come to the same conclusion as me. Sure, some individuals have their own idea of what it means but there is no clear definition that people have agreed on.

Get off this "defensive hearing perspective". You are wrong and get off on creating conflict that doesn't exist before you stir the pot.

Deaf Militant. Simple - an extremist type on any deaf subject. "Deaf Power". belligerent, combatant, aggressive, hostile. They're the type you cannot reason with.

any question?

Deaf Militant. Simple - an extremist type on any deaf subject. "Deaf Power". belligerent, combatant, aggressive, hostile. They're the type you cannot reason with.

any question?

You and some others perceive it as a negative, while others perceive it as a positive. Therefore, no consensus.

Again, you are mistaken. It would do you benefit to attempt to learn from your mistakes rather than taking that defensive hearing perspective. It certainly is not winning you any points around here. Of course, if your purpose in being here is to come off as an objectionable, ill informed, mouthy hearie, then you have met your goal by the standards of the majority of AD members.:cool2:

You contribute virtually nothing to the deaf, Deaf, or HOH community in here. In fact, you contribute little that is valid for the hearing community, either. You are an argumentative, under educated, snobby, audist. Get over yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back