CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoshana

Reaction score
I have implant on right side, I was implanted at age 15. I have both cochlear and nerve damage related hearing loss. So even know I have the implant, it doesn't work well at all and I depend on lip reading. I do sign and prefer to, I consider myself Deaf--Even with the implant.

I know there is a lot of controversy regarding this...

opinions?

You are what you think you are, I think. People have such widely varying experiences.

Most of the controversy I've found out about has been about parents forcing their kids to have the procedure done, or doctors recommending it without telling parents enough about what the actual extent is to any assistance it will or will not provide.

I am intrigued though, and can't wait to see other responses :)

Kbnyc, I feel that was the case in my situation. I remember clearly the Doctor telling my Mom that "she can not survive with this hearing loss". From that time, I was implanted within one month--rush! The Doctors implanted on me despite KNOWING I also had nerve damage loss--the implant doesn't help nerve damage so the implant does not work proper as with other people with only cochlea damage.

I have implant on right side, I was implanted at age 15. I have both cochlear and nerve damage related hearing loss. So even know I have the implant, it doesn't work well at all and I depend on lip reading. I do sign and prefer to, I consider myself Deaf--Even with the implant.

opinions?

Even hearing people can consider theirselves Deaf.....

:)

Kbnyc, I feel that was the case in my situation. I remember clearly the Doctor telling my Mom that "she can not survive with this hearing loss". From that time, I was implanted within one month--rush! The Doctors implanted on me despite KNOWING I also had nerve damage loss--the implant doesn't help nerve damage so the implant does not work proper as with other people with only cochlea damage.

I smell malpractice.

And, "cannot survive with this hearing loss"??? BULL!! *sigh*

As for your question... I do think it depends on how you act in both worlds. If you are involved with deaf people, use the method of communication preferred by Deaf people, and also use the same resources as other Deaf people use (i.e. interpreters), then I would consider you Deaf as well.

So even know I have the implant, it doesn't work well at all and I depend on lip reading. I do sign and prefer to, I consider myself Deaf--Even with the implant.
There are still a lot of kids who are not functionally hoh with an implant.
And I mean a lot of hoh kids can still be Deaf....
Hell, the implant only works really well in a best case scenerio. The world is NOT a soundbooth.

I'm so sorry about this.

What sucks is that the two problems feed eachother...if we continue to treat sensory loss as a horrible terrible deficiency that is to be fought at all costs, we'll never get to the point where accessibility and inclusion will fully allow all people to thrive regardless of this technical disability and parents will continue to feel like fighting it is helpful to their children.

To the topic though, I feel like from what I've learned here that there is a technical and cultural understanding of the word "deaf". One can fall into both or just one or neither, and it's really up to the individual to determine that for themselves. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

I smell malpractice.

And, "cannot survive with this hearing loss"??? BULL!! *sigh*

As for your question... I do think it depends on how you act in both worlds. If you are involved with deaf people, use the method of communication preferred by Deaf people, and also use the same resources as other Deaf people use (i.e. interpreters), then I would consider you Deaf as well.

I do use interpreter and prefer to sign. I am lucky my Boyfriend is Learning for me :)

I have at one point went back to the Doctor and demand he remove the implant--since having implant I have suffered from severe Vertigo and other symptoms. The surgeon told me if they were to remove the implant it will be worse because they have to re-cut the tissue and stuff--so I opted to leave it in not to make the vertigo worse than it already was.

I just don't want to be shunned from the Deaf community since I know some views on the implant. :confused:

As PFH states even hearing people can self describe themselves as "cultural" deaf.. Just learn/use ASL.
Worthwhile exercise-up to you?

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

You have a boyfriend. Who really care what deaf community think of you??

I am deaf and have a hearing girlfriend. I'm not married to deaf community. Neither should you be married to deaf community.

Being bilateral deaf since December 20, 2006 I consider it more than a "technical disability" but an actual/real condition. I had "sensorineural hearing loss-nerve problem" for extended time-almost over 40 years till deafness.

opinions?

There are many like you who have chosen to implant but still consider themselves to be Deaf. I see nothing wrong with that, as Deaf is a mind set more than a hearing status.

As PFH states even hearing people can self describe themselves as "cultural" deaf.. Just learn/use ASL.
Worthwhile exercise-up to you?

Nope. Takes much more than learning and using ASL. That is only the beginning.

I just don't want to be shunned from the Deaf community since I know some views on the implant.
Believe it or not, those attitudes are dying! And you know what? In the past ten years ALONE the acceptance of CI has come so far. I remember over at DumbNotes, everyone was anti CI.
Did you know that the Deaf community was anti hearing aid back when they were first introduced?
Nope. Takes much more than learning and using ASL. That is only the beginning
Yes exactly! A lot of audilogically hoh folks can be "almost Deaf" even thou they may not be fluent in ASL.

Thanks Jillio from a hearing persons perspective re: "cultural deaf" to a bilateral deaf person since December 2006. I know one needs the approval of the Deaf community certification of being "cultural deaf" by "knowing deaf values?" Special committee "hearing?" approval required. ( pun unintended)

I am aware I wasn't part of Alldeaf.com back then. Just passed one year of discussion-here. Who says "deaf militants" don't exist anymore?

Off to deaf swimming shortly- Main Square Recreation centre pool/Toronto. Still can't hear the music playing. Sorry don't have the "waterproof implant".

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I do use interpreter and prefer to sign. I am lucky my Boyfriend is Learning for me :)

I have at one point went back to the Doctor and demand he remove the implant--since having implant I have suffered from severe Vertigo and other symptoms. The surgeon told me if they were to remove the implant it will be worse because they have to re-cut the tissue and stuff--so I opted to leave it in not to make the vertigo worse than it already was.

I just don't want to be shunned from the Deaf community since I know some views on the implant. :confused:

Hey, Don't worry about it. The way you cherish the Deaf values - people will look past your CI's.

For example, this happened two weeks ago at a sushi bar I was at with my friend, Aaron.

We were chatting (in ASL, of course) having a gin/tonic. One lady came up to us in a shy manner and said "You two deaf?" We said, "Yup". She then says "I have a CI, my sign is bad" I went "Thats fine, dont worry about it."
Then she says "I want to learn more sign language, my parents never let me learn it in school" I smiled, and gave her information on deaf events in town that uses ASL so she can learn. Thennnnn she starts saying "im sorry for having a CI" we assured her that it was no big deal.

She was saying "Deaf people shun these who have a CI." Then Aaron says "Yo, I have CI's."

She then all of a sudden threw that perspective of "deaf people who shun..." out the window then started talking to us saying "Man, I really wish I knew sign language growing up" Then started listing out small issues but added up resulting in frustration. Aaron says "Yep, I understand" with a smile.

We exchanged information and she now knows where the ASL events in town are.

The point really is - these days the Deaf are starting to be aware of parents slapping CI's on kids everywhere. As long as you are willing to preserve the culture, we will welcome you.

Thanks Jillio from a hearing persons perspective re: "cultural deaf" to a bilateral deaf person since December 2006. I know one needs the approval of the Deaf community certification of being "cultural deaf" by "knowing deaf values?" Special committee "hearing?" approval required. ( pun unintended)

I am aware I wasn't part of Alldeaf.com back then. Just passed one year of discussion-here. Who says "deaf militants" don't exist anymore?

Off to deaf swimming shortly- Main Square Recreation centre pool/Toronto. Still can't hear the music playing. Sorry don't have the "waterproof implant".

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Uhhh....that would be from a Deaf person to a deaf person. You still don't get it.:roll:

jill, can you please interpret drphil's swimming/music problems i have NO fucking idea what's he's saying! really weird writing, i understand Travis's better, and he used bugger-all English grammar, sometimes like, in this instance, English Grammar is actually UNHELPFUL , and worse than ASL's word-syntaxial grammar (made up syntaxial as im tring to verbal-ise that word)
yup it seem he doesnt get it, but whats the hell is he saying?:eek3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back