CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering she is a person stuck with an implant that won't work because of the nerve, she probably should be entitled to her opinion!

Thanks BOTTESINI!

I did say MY OPINION! They should at least tell you before you are implanted of this if it will pertain to your type of hearing loss opposed to paying all the money and cutting your head open! Not to mention it has caused me to have symptoms that limit my life in many ways.

AUTOFUZZY--what are your qualifications?? You can post something from a lame website and you are an expert? Do you have an implant? Are you in a situation that the implant has caused you to be disabled in other ways AND there is a very very high risk it can stop working any day because of they type of hearing loss you have?

Seriously.

Wirelessly posted

posts from hell said:
Wirelessly posted

to have hearing within normal limits is simply the ability to hear the tones from 250 hz to 6000 hz at 20 db. It has absolutely nothing to do with spoken language. It is about the ability to hear absense or presence of sound.

So normal hearing people are required to lip read too? I didnt know that.

not at all.

the ci provides the ability to hear sounds, it is the therapy that provides the brain the ability to understand the language.

the levels of hearing are:

detection, it is the ability to tell presence or absence of sound. It is the most basic level of sound perception. That is what an audiogram tests.

discrimination, it is ability to tell if two sounds are the same or different.

indentification is the ability to to label or name the sound heard.

and last, and most difficult is comprehension. That would the ability to comprehend spoken language.

just because you can detect sound does not mean you will be able to comprehend the language.

Wirelessly posted

this is false. The kids may not understand spoken language through listening alone (it does happen, but with proper follow up is rare) but they still will hear at less than 25 db. That would be aided to "normal hearing" levels.

Wirelessly posted

not at all.

the ci provides the ability to hear sounds, it is the therapy that provides the brain the ability to understand the language.

the levels of hearing are:

detection, it is the ability to tell presence or absence of sound. It is the most basic level of sound perception. That is what an audiogram tests.

discrimination, it is ability to tell if two sounds are the same or different.

indentification is the ability to to label or name the sound heard.

and last, and most difficult is comprehension. That would the ability to comprehend spoken language.

just because you can detect sound does not mean you will be able to comprehend the language.
Statements like yours is what confuses many parents out there.

I was just making sure it was crystal clear. I think I've done that job here.

The kids may not understand spoken language through listening alone (it does happen, but with proper follow up is rare) but they still will hear at less than 25 db. That would be aided to "normal hearing" levels.
Um, a lot of kids do get to hoh listening levels yes.....but there are still a significent number who may not even get to moderate or moderate speech percerption. They're not the majority, no.....but there are still kids where oral programs have to tell their parents, " you need to add ASL sooner then later."
Stop trying to create aminosity where there is none.

Wirelessly posted

this is false. The kids may not understand spoken language through listening alone (it does happen, but with proper follow up is rare) but they still will hear at less than 25 db. That would be aided to "normal hearing" levels.

It is not false. You are simply wrong again.

Wirelessly posted

to have hearing within normal limits is simply the ability to hear the tones from 250 hz to 6000 hz at 20 db. It has absolutely nothing to do with spoken language. It is about the ability to hear absense or presence of sound.

If one has hearing within what is considered to be even the average ranges of the hearing population and still cannot perceive and discriminate speech, there is still pathology present, and there fore, it cannot be called "normal".

Considering she is a person stuck with an implant that won't work because of the nerve, she probably should be entitled to her opinion!

But I am NOT to MINE?

Shoshana - lame source? I thought I was linking to University of Maryland Medical Centre.
That is lame? I didn't know.

My qualifications?
I have sensori-neural hearing loss, and at one point I was very interested in obtaining CI.
So I did quite a lot of research on the subject.
I decided not to get it because of my migraines. Sound is huge trigger for me.

But you know what - it's okay. I am not going to argue over that.

Fuzzy

I have at one point went back to the Doctor and demand he remove the implant--since having implant I have suffered from severe Vertigo and other symptoms. The surgeon told me if they were to remove the implant it will be worse because they have to re-cut the tissue and stuff--so I opted to leave it in not to make the vertigo worse than it already was.

That's bad.

Can't you take a second opinion?

Fuzzy

I have tried, with the same result. Id just rather not risk it anymore.

What I am saying is, if an individual is at higher risk for such and such to happen--they should be told before the implant and let them make the choice themselves--if they want to risk or not is up to them.

From the time they told me I NEEDED the implant--It was 3 weeks before I was on the table.

But I am NOT to MINE?

Shoshana - lame source? I thought I was linking to University of Maryland Medical Centre.
That is lame? I didn't know.

My qualifications?
I have sensori-neural hearing loss, and at one point I was very interested in obtaining CI.
So I did quite a lot of research on the subject.
I decided not to get it because of my migraines. Sound is huge trigger for me.

But you know what - it's okay. I am not going to argue over that.

Fuzzy

What you are not entitled to do is bully people and act like you are now.

I have tried, with the same result. Id just rather not risk it anymore.

What I am saying is, if an individual is at higher risk for such and such to happen--they should be told before the implant and let them make the choice themselves--if they want to risk or not is up to them.

From the time they told me I NEEDED the implant--It was 3 weeks before I was on the table.

That does seem really fast. How old were you?

If one has hearing within what is considered to be even the average ranges of the hearing population and still cannot perceive and discriminate speech, there is still pathology present, and there fore, it cannot be called "normal".

Not necessarily, and especially not if there has been no access to speech sounds before that.

Think about learning a foreign language, or traveling someplace where you've never heard the language before. At first it all sounds like gibberish. Gradually you learn to make out a few words. With further study and practice, the sounds become words, and the words begin to make sense. It doesn't happen without some effort.

I would imagine beginning to hear language through CIs would be very much like that. The sound is transmitted, but it's the brain that has to work to make sense of it. No surprise that it would take a while.

Not necessarily, and especially not if there has been no access to speech sounds before that.

Think about learning a foreign language, or traveling someplace where you've never heard the language before. At first it all sounds like gibberish. Gradually you learn to make out a few words. With further study and practice, the sounds become words, and the words begin to make sense. It doesn't happen without some effort.

I would imagine beginning to hear language through CIs would be very much like that. The sound is transmitted, but it's the brain that has to work to make sense of it. No surprise that it would take a while.

That doesn't really work that way. I know more than one person for whom CI did not work. And it was not for lack of effort on the part of the parents or the implantee.

I appreciate that it doesn't always work, for various reasons.

I'm just saying that even when it does eventually work out well for people, it's not at all surprising that it doesn't work immediately. There could still be perception and understanding issues for some length of time before all those new noises make sense.

That doesn't really work that way. I know more than one person for whom CI did not work. And it was not for lack of effort on the part of the parents or the implantee.

Bottesini
Notice that Beach Girl started out with "Not necessarily" when referring to there being a pathology present. I took that to be a caution about making a blanket statement about everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back