CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate that it doesn't always work, for various reasons.

I'm just saying that even when it does eventually work out well for people, it's not at all surprising that it doesn't work immediately. There could still be perception and understanding issues for some length of time before all those new noises make sense.

If it works, yes it does take time and training to learn to use it.

But it really doesn't work for a large percentage of people. For confirmation from a CI user, just check DrPhil's post for the percentage of people rejected in his audiology center.

And as for the nerves, I have bad patchy auditory nerves and would not be a CI candidate for this reason.

I don't know where Audiofuzzy has gotten the idea that this will work well.

Bottesini
Notice that Beach Girl started out with "Not necessarily" when referring to there being a pathology present. I took that to be a caution about making a blanket statement about everyone.

Yes, and thank you.

Wirelessly posted

not at all.

the ci provides the ability to hear sounds, it is the therapy that provides the brain the ability to understand the language.

the levels of hearing are:

detection, it is the ability to tell presence or absence of sound. It is the most basic level of sound perception. That is what an audiogram tests.

discrimination, it is ability to tell if two sounds are the same or different.

indentification is the ability to to label or name the sound heard.

and last, and most difficult is comprehension. That would the ability to comprehend spoken language.

just because you can detect sound does not mean you will be able to comprehend the language.

I was responding more to this explanation from faire jour, not to Audiofuzzy's posts.

Bottesini
Notice that Beach Girl started out with "Not necessarily" when referring to there being a pathology present. I took that to be a caution about making a blanket statement about everyone.

If you read what she responded to you would notice that it said if hearing in the 25 db range and can't differientiate speech, then pathology is still present.

It was correctly and clearly stated. There should be no argument with that statement.

People of normal hearing travel all the time and cannot differentiate the speech they are hearing in the new environment.

Surely they are not all suffering from pathological difficulties?

This is not in reference to any particular post. But . . . I think it would be helpful to all if when including a quote from another post the name of the person that made the post being quoted was left on.

It's at the top of the blue box.

Post 31 in this thread is the one that I just found the quickest in looking back where the person making the current post has not left the name of the person on in the quote.

People of normal hearing travel all the time and cannot differentiate the speech they are hearing in the new environment.

I don't argue with silly posts, so this is the last thing I will say to any of these, but the pathology nothing to do with different environments.

It is consistent and the person can't differientiate speech at all.

No need to respond, and just wait for someone who actually keeps trying to educate.

This is not in reference to any particular post. But . . . I think it would be helpful to all if when including a quote from another post the name of the person that made the post being quoted was left on.

Perhaps take this up in the forum suggestions thread.

I tried to tell DeafDyke that......... She seems not to listen. Now I just generally read over her post.

I don't argue with silly posts, so this is the last thing I will say to any of these, but the pathology nothing to do with different environments.

It is consistent and the person can't differientiate speech at all.

No need to respond, and just wait for someone who actually keeps trying to educate.

Sorry you found it silly, Botts. Not intended that way at all.

The comparison with learning a foreign language was the way my audiologist once explained it to me when I asked about CIs, and I thought it made sense.

If there is an audiologist reading this, I would love to read a perspective from that background.

I have tried, with the same result. Id just rather not risk it anymore.

What I am saying is, if an individual is at higher risk for such and such to happen--they should be told before the implant and let them make the choice themselves--if they want to risk or not is up to them.

From the time they told me I NEEDED the implant--It was 3 weeks before I was on the table.

Agreed, as long as that risk is taken willingly by an adult.

Come back when you get over that attack of silliness.

Not necessarily, and especially not if there has been no access to speech sounds before that.

Think about learning a foreign language, or traveling someplace where you've never heard the language before. At first it all sounds like gibberish. Gradually you learn to make out a few words. With further study and practice, the sounds become words, and the words begin to make sense. It doesn't happen without some effort.

I would imagine beginning to hear language through CIs would be very much like that. The sound is transmitted, but it's the brain that has to work to make sense of it. No surprise that it would take a while.

You are again jumping in to correct something on which you are very ill informed. I can assure you my post is correct. Yours, however, indicates a great deal of ignorance on the topic. Please, sit back and learn.

Bottesini

And you, like Beach Girl, should refrain from speaking on those topics of which you have no knowledge.

Sorry you found it silly, Botts. Not intended that way at all.

The comparison with learning a foreign language was the way my audiologist once explained it to me when I asked about CIs, and I thought it made sense.

If there is an audiologist reading this, I would love to read a perspective from that background.

Audiologists generally don't hang around deaf people.:lol: And Deaf people even less.

Audiologists generally don't hang around deaf people.:lol: And Deaf people even less.

from my own experience with the different four audiologists and they know nothing about ASL. I had to talk to them by writing back and forth. of course they support the idea of having the sound such as "to hear!". :)

Needless to say, I do wear HAs and ASL user. :)

:lol: I do know a deaf audiologist.

Oh, yeah, there are a few around. Personally, I think we need way more of them...or at least some CODAs in the field. Talk about a paradigm shift!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back