CI--Deaf or Hearing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The overall feeling I'm getting from reading (most) of this thread is that the term "d/Deaf Militant" can mean different things to different people. I think for some it seems to have a negative connotation, while for others it can be a positive term.

I never saw Grendel assign anyone the label of "Deaf Militant"- more that she was trying to open a dialogue of what it means to different people. The responses seem to be varied, and there is no overall consensus of what "Deaf Militant" really means.

I can understand how for some it might have a positive connotation, while for others it reeks of negativity. So long as we don't assign labels to eachother (which I haven't seen Grendel do) we should be able to have a dialogue of the positive and negative aspects of the term. Although at this point the whole "Deaf Militant" thing may need a cooling off period.

CI- deaf or hearing? Has there been a consensus? I still say d/Deaf.

Soshana: Reality: I have been bilateral deaf/DEAF/Deaf since December 20, 2006. There is NO confusion to me of my real/actual condition of silence.
Whether this "fits computer screens" irrelevant as it DOESN'T CHANGE MY CONDITION. I am well aware that the Profound category of hearing loss is classified here in Canada as 90 to 110 decibels. I was in that category almost 30 to 35 years-both ears.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

Wirelessly posted

sallylou said:
Wirelessly posted (droid)

You are giving him a pass on how he treats us. It's a matter of character. I don't.associate with a person who treats other people badly. To be complacent is to be complicit.

and every single person here gives jillio "a pass" when she calls people names, insults others and is hateful just for fun. Why? Because she agrees with you on a few things. What kind of character does that show?

Soshana: Reality: I have been bilateral deaf/DEAF/Deaf since December 20, 2006. There is NO confusion to me of my real/actual condition of silence.
Whether this "fits computer screens" irrelevant as it DOESN'T CHANGE MY CONDITION. I am well aware that the Profound category of hearing loss is classified here in Canada as 90 to 110 decibels. I was in that category almost 30 to 35 years-both ears.

You have NO idea the diffrence between Deaf and deaf.

Wirelessly posted

and every single person here gives jillio "a pass" when she calls people names, insults others and is hateful just for fun. Why? Because she agrees with you on a few things. What kind of character does that show?

She doesn't belittle the Deaf experience they way a lot of others do. That speaks volumes of character.

Having updated my reading-run that again-there is NO Deaf militants?
Is this an ongoing "theological vs gnostic" discussion: Who is really deaf?

The reality of latedeafened persons with Cochlear Implants- is "airbrushed" out-don't exist!

Something to ponder-swimming- is silence enough to be deaf-after disconnecting my Implant? There is another "weighty problem"-sleeping without dreaming in sign language-okay?
Haven't aired this weighty matter-suppressed?

late-deafened with CIs do exist and no one is airbrushing them out. but it's not my place to speak for them or on their behalf. they are free to chime in anytime they want.

Wirelessly posted

my 2 cents about the militant thing:

an extremist is someone who wants to take away someone elses choices. A militant is someone who tries to force others to do things their way, because it is "better for them".

Wirelessly posted

Beowulf said:
Wirelessly posted

She doesn't belittle the Deaf experience they way a lot of others do. That speaks volumes of character.

but she does belittle and insult people with deaf perspectives. Why is that ok?

Wirelessly posted

but she does belittle and insult people with deaf perspectives. Why is that ok?

She did that to me once. I was so furious and started frothing. Then I woke up. It was a dream.
Seriously, I haven't seen her do that. If she does, then shame, shame on her.

Faire Jour is just twisting things again........... I can see the "disability" post being pulled up. Just wait.

I think I became most involved early today after reading Jillio's post to Beach girl describing sweetmind as a deaf militant, and deafcaroline's post explaining that Lane and Marsden's concepts of what a Deaf militant , which she said drphil was harping on, are outdated and no longer reflect today's issues.

Given that they were applying the term to people, and correcting what they saw as outdated definitions, and Beowulf described sweetmind in positive terms, I asked Beo and deaf caroline what they think defines a Deaf militant, and what role they and their actions play in our community, in our society.

I have a somewhat loosely formed idea based on some individuals I know in varying degrees who self-identify as Deaf militants, people who fight for the Deaf cause, which I put out there as well, but I wanted to hear from people who have been entrenched in Deaf culture far longer than I've been involved, who would really know.

You got involved as soon as I posted to drphil and even supported him by stating that there are a few who are anti-Cis. You missed the whole point which was his tendency to label all Deafs as militant which is what I was reacting to and what everyone else was reacting to.

I'm done discussing anything with you nor will I respond to any more of your posts.

you got involved as soon as i posted to drphil and even supported him by stating that there are a few who are anti-cis. You missed the whole point which was his tendency to label all deafs as militant which is what i was reacting to and what everyone else was reacting to.

I'm done discussing anything with you nor will i respond to any more of your posts.

This.

It's like a Mexican standoff in here. Stubbornness versus stubbornness and something's gotta give. We need flexibility here. It is not that complicated.

I Notice it too much high worst to strong Posts I aware it reading observe it! I already know reading!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back