California is running out of water.....

Cool, it did tastes good?
TCS came home for a few minutes, so I asked him.

He said it had a slight metallic taste because it was stored in large metal holding tanks. Otherwise, it was fine. Usually the only time sailors drank water was from the scuttlebutts, and that water was chilled. He said they would gulp down a quick drink of water and then go back to work.

Before a cruise the ship would stock up on cases of canned sodas.

Water restrictions are happening and started in some counties a few months ago. Doesn't matter if your rich or poor, you can't water your lawns freely, wash your cars etc. during drought years or you pay some hefty fines.

Also, if lawns etc. don't get water, they dry up which causes even more concerns for fire.

We don't have an advanced way of knowing it's going to be a drought year or not. Just like back east has no idea how much snow their going to get on a yearly bases.

Our rainy season is January-April so we still have time. Unfortunately we can not count on the snow pack this year.

Did the guys have to pay for this soda?
When TCS was on the larger ships (destroyers), they had a regular soda vending machine. The guys paid for their sodas at the machine but the money went into their recreation and morale fund which paid for social events, special activities, and benevolent fund, so in a way they got it back.

When he was stationed on the smaller ship (minesweeper) they didn't have room for a vending machine. TCS and his office shipmate would, out of their own pockets, buy cans of soda and snacks and resell them, at exact cost, to the guys. They had their own small office on the ship so they would tuck away the snacks and sodas in every available space, such as file cabinets. TCS bought a small (dorm-style) refrigerator to chill the sodas, a few at a time. Everyone loved the system. Even the captain occasionally bought snacks from them. :)

Water restrictions are happening and started in some counties a few months ago. Doesn't matter if your rich or poor, you can't water your lawns freely, wash your cars etc. during drought years or you pay some hefty fines.

Also, if lawns etc. don't get water, they dry up which causes even more concerns for fire.

We don't have an advanced way of knowing it's going to be a drought year or not. Just like back east has no idea how much snow their going to get on a yearly bases.

Our rainy season is January-April so we still have time. Unfortunately we can not count on the snow pack this year.

Same here, we had strict water restriction during drought about several years ago, but now, it is ok.

ah-ha :ty:

yea I fish at Catskill sometimes. beautiful place.

Sure is beautiful there so is the Adirondacks. For Central NY, depending on where in Syracuse, most of us get it from "Skanny" known as Skaneateles, NY. Some get from underground. Others are filtered through reservoirs.

To others saying about NY State gets drought. Yes, rarely we do. Almost never need to have water rations. However, if you focus on the area in Oswego County, drinking water has to be from elsewhere. The fresh water underground has gone dry and they have to get water from elsewhere.

Others in this discussion has talked about water out in Southwestern US. Why can't we get a huge project going by making Rio Grande into what I call, Rio Grande Canal. Huge enough and wider than Panama to allow cruise ships go through, yes, you read that right, through the border between US and Mexico and there should be enough water supply for landscape, grass, cooling down, etc. Drinking water will have to come from else where but the plus side is that it is an ecomonic growth for both US and Mexico with this new kind of tourism but also look at this, border control will be easier for US Border Patrol. Less illegals entering because of the canal. Canals are made to bring water for nature purposes but also economic purposes. This will work.

Not bad idea. What you think?

TCS came home for a few minutes, so I asked him.

He said it had a slight metallic taste because it was stored in large metal holding tanks. Otherwise, it was fine. Usually the only time sailors drank water was from the scuttlebutts, and that water was chilled. He said they would gulp down a quick drink of water and then go back to work.

Before a cruise the ship would stock up on cases of canned sodas.

Oh, that's interesting.

I don't know if I have tried water from ocean that treated with desalination.

I had to drive down town today to go to the dentist. Drove over the American River and it was totally dry. Never have seen in like that. I was thinking of the big storm in 1996 where a lot of areas here had major flooding. President Clinton even made a trip out here.

Looks like we may get some rain by Thursday.... wait see how much rain we will get by then.

Looks like we may get some rain by Thursday.... wait see how much rain we will get by then.

I saw that too. Thursday and hopefully Friday as well. I hope it storms and drops a ton of rain but it doesn't look like a large storm.

I was taking some of my summer clothes out because it's been so warm.

We definitely need to keep our fingers crossed Calvin:giggle:

Yes, one of the big concerns is the instability of the grounds on the hills that would cause landslides. Everything needs water for sure.

I saw that too. Thursday and hopefully Friday as well. I hope it storms and drops a ton of rain but it doesn't look like a large storm.

I was taking some of my summer clothes out because it's been so warm.

We definitely need to keep our fingers crossed Calvin:giggle:

Yes, one of the big concerns is the instability of the grounds on the hills that would cause landslides. Everything needs water for sure.

Absolutely, my hubby is a Civil Engineer for the water and drainage division. So far there have not been any real alerts of any kind. Our ground is pretty dry right now, so if we get a heavy rain it could flood, but I doubt this next weather system will do anything. Hopefully soon the gates open wide and it rains for 30 days straight. It did that many, many years ago, rained every single day of March.

The ground is so dried out the rain may just roll right off and not soak into the soil.

For a change it is not sunny out........please let it rain!!!!!!

Finally getting some rain here today. Not a lot but it is raining. Hope we get a lot more.

The entire western US has had a drought for 13 years, and some of the central states too. They just called a state of emergency for 11 states due to the drought. It's far from only being California, and chances are it's going to go on for many more years.

Back