California is running out of water.....

The U.S. Navy has been using desalination water systems on their ships and subs for decades. TCS was stationed aboard a WWII destroyer in the early 70's that had a water system.

Cool. :shock:

Oh, do not forget the Onondaga Lake! It is polluted badly. They are being "cleaning up" as we speak. Pretty much it had or has mercury in it.
If we choose to look at reality on the basis that there are so many postings here that we never knew, what else has happened that we do not know about. I like the fact that you put "cleaning up" on purpose. Smart!

When the battle of the PCBs in the upper Hudson was brought to life again and again (and buried by the perpetrators), someone said something intelligent. In essence: If they did the drudging (I think that's the right word) of the Hudson, it would likely stir up the PCBs making the problem worse. So, what is worse - leaving it or cleaning it. I don't know.

In NY where I lived, the Supervisor said once a sewer system was put in (it originally started at a higher cleanup level 2) he would be the first to drink the water. I called him out at a meeting. The level had been changed to a 3 (lower cleaning). I don't remember his response but I know that it was necessary to ask him since he used the drinking of the water to convince us of the benefits. The water it was cleaning had stuff from leaking septics and cesspools and there was an antifreeze leak in it with sprays of water that could be seen from the highway. The thought was the antifreeze would evaporate in the air.

The U.S. Navy has been using desalination water systems on their ships and subs for decades. TCS was stationed aboard a WWII destroyer in the early 70's that had a water system.
This sounds great, Reba, but what else is in the water that's not being touched... Salinated water that can be cleaned is great. It's the other stuff I'm concerned about and I don't think we can begin to scratch the surface of that one.

You're welcome. Yes, it's a disaster for California.
When we went to check out Vegas @2005-6, we saw the mighty dam there. It was really frightening to see how low it was and that's now about 7 years ago.

just gotta wait till snow/ice melt to replenish water.... and also that's why I don't live in west coast :lol:

This sounds great, Reba, but what else is in the water that's not being touched... Salinated water that can be cleaned is great. It's the other stuff I'm concerned about and I don't think we can begin to scratch the surface of that one.

eh you'll live. it's no different with breathing air that has other stuff in it at microscopic level.

desalinated water is not great. it's a very expensive and energy-consuming process. much less than 1% of the world drinks desalinated water... mostly Middle East.... and California!

When we were looking to move from NY to somewhere, CA and Colorado were on our list. BUT we knew there was a water problem gurgling up. We could not go there.

In NY, the Hudson River is being "cleaned" (another oxymoron). Up river by Troy/Albany, GE dumped PCBs into the river. Can you spell carcinogenic? It's just one of many major problems being ignored (seen but ignored).

Good luck. May it rain like the dickens for a week. That should stop the flow of traffic for a while. (The Colorado needs water to help you and Vegas, too, if I have my geography correct.)

NYC gets its water from Maine, I believe

It would be nice for us to drink water from the ocean. Can someone invent salt and radiation filter to remove the radiation and salt from the ocean, so we all can drink or use water.

Knowing Californians, they'd find a way to abuse that as well and create another problem. Given the region, the people of that state need to redirect their energies and finances to the environment to minimize or prevent this in the future. One immediate reform could be making it illegal to water your lawns during certain months. I imagine the wealthy probably run their sprinklers morning, noon, and night. This is really awful for animals and people.

Laura

I am really surprise this has not been done yet! After living in Northern California I became more aware of how precious water is and try not to be wasteful with it. My ex husband use to keep the water running while bushing
his teeth and shaving , I hated that , it was so wasteful of water. I see no reason to have the water running while busing your teeth or washing dishes by hands.

Planting Seeds of Rain

At one time people would plant the clouds to made it rain , I wonder if that really worked.

The Press Man "Rebuilding Wilhelm Reich's Cloudbuster Rain Machine" - YouTube

NYC gets its water from Maine, I believe
Nope, Jiro, but that seems logical enough to me. I lived just outside as a working adult (younger than that doesn't count). A lot of water used to come from the Ashokan Reservoir (right side of map and hard (for moi) to actually read but it's there). I used to walk my dog there. It appears from the link it comes from other places but not Maine.

I guess like someone else said, since we (based on the Ashokan) lived in the Catskills the snow runs off and into reservoirs.

New York City's Water Supply System

Cool, it did tastes good?

Cool, it did tastes good?
I'll have to ask TCS when he gets home.

I'm guessing though that sailors back then didn't drink much water. It wasn't popular back then. People didn't carry water bottles. Shipboard they mostly drank coffee, bug juice, milk (sometimes powdered) and (when available) bottled (glass) or canned sodas. They drank water from the scuttlebutt (water fountain).

lol how coming California doesn't have water treatment for sea into clean water to drinking? Or recycle the urine into clean water to drink? I hear they have one without people know.

Nope, Jiro, but that seems logical enough to me. I lived just outside as a working adult (younger than that doesn't count). A lot of water used to come from the Ashokan Reservoir (right side of map and hard (for moi) to actually read but it's there). I used to walk my dog there. It appears from the link it comes from other places but not Maine.

I guess like someone else said, since we (based on the Ashokan) lived in the Catskills the snow runs off and into reservoirs.

New York City's Water Supply System

ah-ha :ty:

yea I fish at Catskill sometimes. beautiful place.

Back