Book - For Hearing People Only

Just reading this screen is an "interesting" introduction of deaf/deaf culture. Right-really friendly/respectful of various opinions.
Minor quibble: how does one's use of ASL affect one's social attitude etc- Is this Sociology?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

No, it is not sociology. It is psychology.

blank canvas: yes. An interesting fact for you- here in Toronto-Sunnybrook has only implanted 850 persons over the last 19 years. Seems to be a lot people WITHOUT IMPLANTS. There are few million people here. No I haven't taken a random sample of persons without Implants if they are happy. Other important activities in my life.

Jillio: isn't one's "social attitude" formed from the "social interaction in one's society"?

blank canvas: yes. An interesting fact for you- here in Toronto-Sunnybrook has only implanted 850 persons over the last 19 years. Seems to be a lot people WITHOUT IMPLANTS. There are few million people here. No I haven't taken a random sample of persons without Implants if they are happy. Other important activities in my life.

Jillio: isn't one's "social attitude" formed from the "social interaction in one's society"?

Thank you I hope that was not offensive.

Ok and from what I have seen you seem to think the Deaf community is some sort of fairy tale, thats fine I didn't know anything about it either. But I can tell you it does exist they even have college courses about 'the Deaf community' maybe you can check with your local community college about sitting in on a class most schools will allow you to do this free of charge you just will not receive any credits.

Thank you I hope that was not offensive.

Ok and from what I have seen you seem to think the Deaf community is some sort of fairy tale, thats fine I didn't know anything about it either. But I can tell you it does exist they even have college courses about 'the Deaf community' maybe you can check with your local community college about sitting in on a class most schools will allow you to do this free of charge you just will not receive any credits.

Really? How do you do that? (the sitting in the classes for free)

Really? How do you do that? (the sitting in the classes for free)

Ya know the teacher of my Deaf culture class explained this to me tonight apparently someone asked to 'audit' her class well at least I am assuming because she explained that sometimes people who are just curious can come and sit in class ;) Learn without getting any college credits....
Fancy that... all you have to do is contact the instructor of the course and ask :hmm:

fear hurts
It could also work the other way around. That some of those that are habituated with the Deaf way of life could have some difficulty branching out to that of the deaf or lesser-Deaf or the non-Deaf. One reason being is cause they're concerned with what some of the other Deaf would think, what some of their other Deaf friends would think. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Blank canvas: I don't recall ever keying that the 'deaf community is a fairy tale".

Blank canvas: I don't recall ever keying that the 'deaf community is a fairy tale".

The way you question its existence you act as if someone is trying to convince you of gnome's coming to life on your lawn or unicorns flying with a princess mounted.

All I am saying in my own twisted way is why not get educated on the subject before you put it down.

Another discussion in Sociology-subsection:ideology/ Culture.
The dictionary definition of dogma: a doctrine or doctrines put forward by some authority, especially the Church, to be accepted as true without QUESTION.
Does the proposition-deafness/Deafness is a "cultural matter" fit above? At the same time there is something called the "Hearing community" which takes the balance of the society will live in?

Dogmatic thinking is a style, of course. Correct?

I HAD to reply to this. You cannot say that Deaf culture doesn't exist any more than you can say that Christianity doesn't exist. Regardless of whether you believe in/accept what the culture or religion does (i.e. you don't believe in/accept God), you cannot say that the culture/religion itself does not exist because it has been objectively proven to exist.

It could also work the other way around. That some of those that are habituated with the Deaf way of life could have some difficulty branching out to that of the deaf or lesser-Deaf or the non-Deaf. One reason being is cause they're concerned with what some of the other Deaf would think, what some of their other Deaf friends would think. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

o_O you have no idea.

Many Deaf people are more than willing to have "deaf recruits" as you put it... I would wager that many people aren't wasting any time with a guy like you. I wouldnt either.

purplewowies: I don't conceive that Christianity. a religion with billions of adherents to
"deaf culture" which to my understanding DOESN'T HAVE BILLIONS of person adhering to it. I also don't perceive "deaf culture" a religion.Thus the comparison doesn't appear valid. I would guess say a Catholic Christian can/ or decline to be a member of "deaf culture" without affecting their principles.
The question isn't whether "deaf culture" exists even in a "small way" but the" utility to belonging". How many people in one's immediate social environment are "deaf/Deaf" to use ASL? One can , of course, shift to who one interacts with such as in bowling, swimming,interacting on alldeaf.com even dancing-lots of choices-time constraints? Can't do everything-only 24 hours a day.

Another discussion in Sociology

The above ironical comment by PFH #170-wouldn't waste time re:HOH topics-discussion!

He'll never understand and has no desire to "learn". I don't know why he doesn't just stay in the HA/CI forum since his only "deaf interest" is his CI.
Now which brand was that? And where/when did he get it implanted?

Not necessarily. But what you were referring to is psychology. Psychology is concerned with the individual reaction, sociology is concerned with the group reaction.

There is far less fear and reluctance in the Deaf community than in those deaf that attempt to live a hearing life. Reason being? Greater self esteem and confidence in handling diverse situations.

Then what is the "Alice in Deafland" remark that you have made numerous times?:roll:

purplewowies: I don't conceive that Christianity. a religion with billions of adherents to
"deaf culture" which to my understanding DOESN'T HAVE BILLIONS of person adhering to it. I also don't perceive "deaf culture" a religion.Thus the comparison doesn't appear valid. I would guess say a Catholic Christian can/ or decline to be a member of "deaf culture" without affecting their principles.
The question isn't whether "deaf culture" exists even in a "small way" but the" utility to belonging". How many people in one's immediate social environment are "deaf/Deaf" to use ASL? One can , of course, shift to who one interacts with such as in bowling, swimming,interacting on alldeaf.com even dancing-lots of choices-time constraints? Can't do everything-only 24 hours a day.

Another discussion in Sociology

Then that is where you are making your mistake. Worldwide, Billions do belong to Deaf Culture, as it has been shown to exist where ever there are deaf individuals. And that is worldwide. You really need to expand your perspective from your own little limited one.

If you are a member of Deaf Culture, there are many in one's social environment that use ASL. Just because you refuse to venture out of your safe little box doesn't mean that what you see is anything close to the reality of the larger world.

He'll never understand and has no desire to "learn". I don't know why he doesn't just stay in the HA/CI forum since his only "deaf interest" is his CI.
Now which brand was that? And where/when did he get it implanted?

Oh, Gawd!! Please don't ask, because he will tell us again, and again, and again!:lol:

Loveblue: at Jillio's "request"- Advanced Bionics-Harmony implanted July 12, 2007 at Sunnybrook/Toronto.It is duly noted on every comment
Billions of deaf/Deaf people belong deaf culture- really? Use ASL as well?
Sorry Jillio not in any little box except some members imagination!
Is deafland a fairy tale? Thanks for the correction update!

Back