Book - For Hearing People Only

From what I gather drphil has no motivation to learn sign language because he sees no need for it. He strikes me as a person who is content in his own company, together with his computer, and prefers to pursue activities that he can enjoy on his own. He doesn't feel the need to be social, going out and meeting people. His interaction with the world around him is what appears on this screen etc. Am I far wrong, drphil?

My auditory nerves got eaten by a virus, so I don't qualify. Probably I will retain some vision.

I am just a little depressed tonight. Don't worry by tomorrow I should be back as evil as ever! :wave:

bugger,
come back tomorrow as Darth Matajan's evil sister LOL

Beclak: Guessing the totality of one's social interaction from a computer screen is futile. At the present time I belong a number of singles dance groups.TorSwing dance society/Toronto Swing/Dovercourt House/Club Singles/Single Professionals/Scherzo swing. None of this could happen without my Cochlear Implant-important-personal choice. Amongst other activities.Since I experience SILENCE WITHOUT MY IMPLANT-HARD TO REACT TO ANY dance MUSIC from one's auditory memory that one's partner can follow. At least that was from my direct experiment-once.

I am aware of Deaf/deaf groups here in Toronto HOWEVER I don't intend to retake the introductory ASL course by asking members of these groups to assist in my practice learning. I don't intend to debate in the future-"them" in ASL why I find the sociological theory of deafness a "cultural matter" non persuasive using an interpreter either. Perhaps a boring topic to "them". I still believe it is MY choice based on what I read PLUS the ongoing "interesting interaction" of "some members" on the supposedly " friendly/respectful atmosphere of deaf/Deaf culture" here in Alldeaf.com.
Hard to "understand" why my thoughts on whether I learn ASL affects anyone else here? To date I have not met anyone from alldeaf.com My thoughts verbally would be exactly the same as keyed which I assume is true for most people here.
Still my opinion-one is free to remain deaf/Deaf is one wants to. One's choice.

Bottesini: You are correct knowing you are losing your vision at some time in the future might be a source of ongoing " concern". What can one do if /when the condition actualizes? Consult the local "blind groups"-like CNIB? Consult the members who have that "condition" here? Worth trying to learn-now- "tactile/Braille signing" whatever the "correct term" is ?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
I was just trying to be friendly and express that everyone has their reasons why they choose a certain path. I was in fact, trying to get everyone off your back about learning ASL because it is apparent that you do not wish to. Some were thinking it was because you didn't know any deaf community or deaf social group. And from your posts on this thread alone it is apparent that you do not want that either. I would and could never even attempt to be all-knowing. I apologise for trying to clear the air. I don't judge your decisions. However, it would help not to be so much on the defensive at every single person. The comment to Bottesini especially, was so uncalled for and downright mean. Bottesini of all people has always attempted to convey harmony and understanding with everyone. This forum allows the expression of opinions. If you don't want your opinions apparent then for what purpose are you here? I think I am not the only one who now has that question in their mind.

I was just trying to be friendly and express that everyone has their reasons why they choose a certain path. I was in fact, trying to get everyone off your back about learning ASL because it is apparent that you do not wish to. Some were thinking it was because you didn't know any deaf community or deaf social group. And from your posts on this thread alone it is apparent that you do not want that either. I would and could never even attempt to be all-knowing. I apologise for trying to clear the air. I don't judge your decisions. However, it would help not to be so much on the defensive at every single person. The comment to Bottesini especially, was so uncalled for and downright mean. Bottesini of all people has always attempted to convey harmony and understanding with everyone. This forum allows the expression of opinions. If you don't want your opinions apparent then for what purpose are you here? I think I am not the only one who now has that question in their mind.

yup bott's examples of attempts to how understandinng across differing views is a mark of maturity ,for that i dont care how OLD or how smart or how sophiscated a person is, the maturity as character is alltogether something else, it is more align on the line of 'wisdom'. We should respect each other. Easy to say, hard to do, I know. for me im getting to a stage that in life, tolerance is good but also knowing when you recognise you dont have it is quite another thing also on top of that, knowing when to not go in 'there'...is not a mark of 'arguement weakness'. it could quite possibly means one dont wish or see no value in intellectual sword clashing, plain and simple.

i do watch good programs, and no, im not prepared to pay for junk Sky or Tivo...

maybe you should research on what it meant by dumbed down

Id bet you, one month, hell even one week in New Zealand you'd see there is vastly different notion of 'quality' applied here than there (USA)...

one of my favourite american tv show is Fringe...its cerebral or X-files...but sadly Fringe didnt seem to develop well for long term..(hope im wrong like it seem unable to compete with a lighter on tone cerebral comedy like Big Bang Theory...

Again, there is a difference between "dry humor" and "cerebral humor".

I watched Fringe last night. I see nothing cerebral about it. Same with X-files. They are science fiction fantasies. That does not make them cerebral. If you want a cerebral program that does not include humor, you will need to go to the history channels, or the discovery channels that feature documentaries that make you think about the ways in which the past directly connects to the present.

Beclak: Guessing the totality of one's social interaction from a computer screen is futile. At the present time I belong a number of singles dance groups.TorSwing dance society/Toronto Swing/Dovercourt House/Club Singles/Single Professionals/Scherzo swing. None of this could happen without my Cochlear Implant-important-personal choice. Amongst other activities.
I am aware of Deaf/deaf groups here in Toronto HOWEVER I don't intend to retake the introductory ASL course by asking members of these groups to assist in practice learning. I don't intend to debate-"them" in ASL why I find the sociological theory of deafness a "cultural matter" non persuasive. I still believe it is my choice based on what I read PLUS the "interesting interaction" of "some members" on the apparent " friendly/respectful atmosphere of deaf/Deaf culture" here in Alldeaf.com.
Hard to "understand" why my thoughts on whether I learn ASL affects anyone else here? To date I have not met anyone from alldeaf.com My thoughts verbally would be exactly the same as keyed which I assume is true for most people here.
Bottesini: You are correct knowing you are losing your vision would be a source of ongoing concern. What can one do if blind- Check out the local blind groups?

So, if you are insistent on holding onto your pathological idea of deafness, why is it that you continue to visit a forum in which the majority of the members take a cultural view and actively fight against being seen as "pathological"?

We have several deaf blind members. They manage very well, and they also object to being seen as pathological. One has spent a great deal of time in advocacy activities.

Perhaps you need to spend some time honestly evaluating your own motivation in coming in here.

Perhaps you need to spend some time honestly evaluating your own motivation in coming in here.
I wonder why he's here also. He said one time it was for the CI forum. That's fine, that was why I initially came here - for HA/CI forum.

But why is he here in the "our world/our culture" forum? I personally didn't come here in the beginning because I'm not part of the Deaf Culture (which is why I think the Late-Deafened sticky should be in it's own forum).

And I saw his post in the sign language forum...what was he doing there if he's not interested in sign language. And why did he feel he was "qualified" to respond to the question regarding one-handed signing?

Mabe he's a troll?:dunno:

I wonder why he's here also. He said one time it was for the CI forum. That's fine, that was why I initially came here - for HA/CI forum.

But why is he here in the "our world/our culture" forum? I personally didn't come here in the beginning because I'm not part of the Deaf Culture (which is why I think the Late-Deafened sticky should be in it's own forum).

And I saw his post in the sign language forum...what was he doing there if he's not interested in sign language. And why did he feel he was "qualified" to respond to the question regarding one-handed signing?

Mabe he's a troll?:dunno:

Perhaps. Personally I think that he is just a grumpy individual that is very self centered.

If he were here to learn about Deaf Culture, as you are, it would be one thing. But it appears that his purpose is just to let everyone know, ad nauseum, that he doesn't believe that there is a Deaf Culture and he has no need for ASL or deaf/Deaf friends. I don't know why he thinks it is important to keep telling is that, because it has been expressed to him that we really don't care one way or the other. His choice. Go with it.

Perhaps he enjoys being brow beaten when he makes his nasty audist remarks? There are people who crave negative attention.

My opinions as such are keyed because I AM BILATERALLY DEAF and do have A Cochlear Implant seem to fit the criteria of alldeaf.com.-correct? The obvious fact "some disagree with me"-so what!
Bottesini reaction of knowing she is "going blind in the future" was/is very different than mine knowing I was going deaf since 1992. I made no comparison in any way which is "worst". How one deals with the fact is up to you. As my user name has mentioned-life isn't only a success journey. Contingent on where one lives which groups can help one in dealing with incipient "blind condition" might be helpful. This is mean?
Whether one wants to relabel "blindness" as cultural-no opinion. I have never "heard" of such a classification. I asked a "nearly blind" person, I know, is she ever heard of this-NO! She has been at CNIB- Cdn National Institute of the Blind here in Toronto for many years. No she isn't Blind/deaf.

Why does my opinion as such generate such "respectful?" response? The welcome committee of the" deaf/Deaf group" are really "friendly". Is this an instance of Alice in
deafLand"?

My opinions as such are keyed because I AM BILATERALLY DEAF and do have A Cochlear Implant seem to fit the criteria of alldeaf.com.-correct? The obvious fact "some disagree with me"-so what!
Bottesini reaction of knowing she is "going blind in the future" was/is very different than mine knowing I was going deaf since 1992. I made no comparison in any way which is "worst". How one deals with the fact is up to you. As my user name has mentioned-life isn't only a success journey. Contingent on where one lives which groups can help one in dealing with incipient "blind condition" might be helpful. This is mean?
Whether one wants to relabel "blindness" as cultural-no opinion. I have never "heard" of such a classification. I asked a "nearly blind" person, I know, is she ever heard of this-NO! She has been at CNIB- Cdn National Institute of the Blind here in Toronto for many years. No she isn't Blind/deaf.

Why does my opinion as such generate such "respectful?" response? The welcome committee of the" deaf/Deaf group" are really "friendly". Is this an instance of Alice in
deafLand"?

You remind me of my audi/ENT not to be rude or anything but damn I thought I was the perfect example of deaf compared to Deaf. As in I can't hear am not very successful with Ha's yet insist I am HOH

Perhaps you should do more reading within alldeaf and books from your local library to broaden your horizon.

Two very different situations are: (1) a person becomes deaf without any other issues; and (2) a person is dealing with a chronic disorder that includes going deaf. Note that I say "disorder," not disease. I'm referring to a congenital condition (exists at birth) that manifests over time. In my case, I have genetic disorder. For me, the hearing loss is the easy part. Dealing with other issues is more challenging, both physically and emotionally. While it's anyone's right to be blunt and insensitive about the second situation, most of us appreciate understanding and empathy. Not pity! Empathy is about putting yourself in another person's shoes and considering her point of view.

TorSwing dance society/Toronto Swing/Dovercourt House/Club Singles/Single Professionals/Scherzo swing. None of this could happen without my Cochlear Implant-important-personal choice.

Huh. Maybe for you. Being Deaf didn't stop me from learning swing dance (And I'm fairly avid at swing dancing among dabbling in various other styles).

From what I can see, you're crippled. Crippled in the sense that you absolutely rely on your hearing to socialize. To imagine. To do anything. I want to say I feel sorry for you. But I don't. I normally don't post this kind of thing, but you irk me. And irritate me. That's all. Have a nice day.

Huh. Maybe for you. Being Deaf didn't stop me from learning swing dance (And I'm fairly avid at swing dancing among dabbling in various other styles).

From what I can see, you're crippled. Crippled in the sense that you absolutely rely on your hearing to socialize. To imagine. To do anything. I want to say I feel sorry for you. But I don't. I normally don't post this kind of thing, but you irk me. And irritate me. That's all. Have a nice day.

:gpost:

(side note ever go to the mercury cafe?)

Haven't gone there.

You should check it out sometime if you enjoy swing dancing, tis hoppin :) they have live music on wed nights all swing most of the people get really into it dressing the part and all plus they have classes to learn some of the nifty toss the chick around moves I believe on monday or thursday nights.

Excellent post. Wait, I need to re-iterate that! EXCELLENT POST!!!

Beclak: Guessing the totality of one's social interaction from a computer screen is futile. At the present time I belong a number of singles dance groups.TorSwing dance society/Toronto Swing/Dovercourt House/Club Singles/Single Professionals/Scherzo swing. None of this could happen without my Cochlear Implant-important-personal choice. Amongst other activities.Since I experience SILENCE WITHOUT MY IMPLANT-HARD TO REACT TO ANY dance MUSIC from one's auditory memory that one's partner can follow. At least that was from my direct experiment-once.

I am aware of Deaf/deaf groups here in Toronto HOWEVER I don't intend to retake the introductory ASL course by asking members of these groups to assist in my practice learning. I don't intend to debate in the future-"them" in ASL why I find the sociological theory of deafness a "cultural matter" non persuasive using an interpreter either. Perhaps a boring topic to "them". I still believe it is MY choice based on what I read PLUS the ongoing "interesting interaction" of "some members" on the supposedly " friendly/respectful atmosphere of deaf/Deaf culture" here in Alldeaf.com.
Still my opinion-one is free to remain deaf/Deaf is one wants to. One's choice.

Bottesini: You are correct knowing you are losing your vision at some time in the future might be a source of ongoing " concern". What can one do if /when the condition actualizes? Consult the local "blind groups"-like CNIB? Consult the members who have that "condition" here? Worth trying to learn-now- "tactile/Braille signing" whatever the "correct term" is ?

Iowa commission for the blind does have programs to help. And actually I usually do kind of live in the moment. Ocular histoplasmosis syndrome causes me to have overgrown blood vessels in my retina. Then these break and cloud my vision. I don't know when it will happen . The first time it happened, I was suddenly completely blind with just blackness in my right eye.

That is partially repaired , but I am still blind in the eye, I just see very partially due to scarring.

So I panic when I have bleeding in my left eye. I don't know Braille, plus I love to read.

Learning tactile sign is certainly a thought, but I guess it is sort of magical thinking that if I don't learn I won't need it.

But at least I think I know your answer about ASL. You love music and dancing! And that is great. :)

Back