Book - For Hearing People Only

The 6 cities in the NHL: Toronto,Montreal, New York, Boston,Chicago & Detroit. This was BEFORE EXPANSION.

I don't believe the dead can swim-something new-these days?

Does one need to read a book on how fail ASL? Easy don't learn. Guaranteed!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

So, DrPhil, what DOES tickle your funny bone? Obviously nothing posted in fun on AllDeaf.

Going deaf is like drowning. I have ear fullness all of the time. It feels like your ears are full of water. Interesting choice for a topic.

I've had all kinds of emotions about it. Fear, anxiety, alienation, feelings of vulnerability, etc. I've had to change so much--a new identity, learning a new language, making new friends and letting go of people who are not supportive, etc. It's huge adjustment.

We all have to make adjustments in life, and attitude is everything. In the process, I've learned and grown. It's human nature to resist change, but change is the one constant in life. You've got to learn to adjust but change will drag you along, willing or not. Life is too short not to have some fun.

The 6 cities in the NHL: Toronto,Montreal, New York, Boston,Chicago & Detroit. This was BEFORE EXPANSION.

I don't believe the dead can swim-something new-these days?

Does one need to read a book on how fail ASL? Easy don't learn. Guaranteed!

That's interesting about the teams. Iowa got pro hockey called the Stars, but it did not last long. Now we have the Buccaneers , which is semi-pro, but I have never seen a hockey game.

Will you ever try to learn ASL again? Or did you really not like your 80's class?

Not sure the exact time frame before drowning because of not breathing underwater. Not much danger of drowning in City of Toronto pools. Lifeguards watching.
Haven't considered reading while swimming.
I was more of a hockey fan when younger when there was only 6 teams in the NHL.
I have mentioned many times I have been BILATERALLY DEAF since December 20, 2006. I have also mentioned I knew that would happen since Feb/92. That is when I lost all hearing in right ear with a 85db loss in left. From all tests performed which eliminated "cancer/tumours" etc as "cause". It was just a matter of time.-15 years.So much for the alleged "fear of deafness". That is why I read about Deaf/deaf- Cochlear Implants and took Intro ASL in 1986/87

Just because you were aware of it doesn't mean you don't fear it. You have to be aware of something before there is anything to fear.:cool2:

Sallylou: I didn't perceive going deaf-Dec 20/06 as drowning.Still don't. Your second & third paragraphs were not what I experienced. I triggered the process to start on "getting a Cochlear implant" at Sunnybrook/Toronto. It started on Feb 4/07 and fortunately was successful-operation July 12/07. How swimming fits into this -not sure. I have been swimming over 40 years.
Yeah even took a course in Speech Reading at CdnHearing Society while waiting for the second appointment in early June/07. Seems the test shown a 20% decrease from previous ones I took there. Not surprised-one's hearing is used when one speechreads.

Bottesini: Will I take introductory ASL again? No.

Jillio: Isn't fear -anticipation of the unknown? As I pointed out many times- I KNEW I would be deaf-genetic/sensorineural-after Feb/92. The only question was -when-15 years later. Obviously I benefited from all the Hearing Help classes at CHS. I didn't think I would be part of the 60% of persons rejected at Sunnybrook/Toronto -based on CHS knowledge of my "hearing/physical history". Footnote: seems my prior swimming indicated
good physical health easily able to tolerate a 5 hour operation-which I did.
I didn't consult any social worker/psychologist awaiting the Sunnybrook/Toronto process.

Sallylou: I didn't perceive going deaf-Dec 20/06 as drowning.Still don't. Your second & third paragraphs were not what I experienced. I triggered the process to start on "getting a Cochlear implant" at Sunnybrook/Toronto. It started on Feb 4/07 and fortunately was successful-operation July 12/07. How swimming fits into this -not sure. I have been swimming over 40 years.
Yeah even took a course in Speech Reading at CdnHearing Society while waiting for the second appointment in early June/07. Seems the test shown a 20% decrease from previous ones I took there. Not surprised-one's hearing is used when one speechreads.

Bottesini: Will I take introductory ASL again? No.

Jillio: Isn't fear -anticipation of the unknown? As I pointed out many times- I KNEW I would be deaf-genetic/sensorineural-after Feb/92. The only question was -when-15 years later. Obviously I benefited from all the Hearing Help classes at CHS. I didn't think I would be part of the 60% of persons rejected at Sunnybrook/Toronto -based on CHS knowledge of my "hearing/physical history". Footnote: seems my prior swimming indicated
good physical health easily able to tolerate a 5 hour operation-which I did.
I didn't consult any social worker/psychologist awaiting the Sunnybrook/Toronto process.

To answer concisely, "No."

The fact that you did not consult anyone reagarding your mental status prior to the surgery does not need to be clarified. It is obvious.

Dr. Phil, will you take any ASL again? Or did you just not like ASL at all?

I think Dr Phil has "dry humour". very English.

i know what you mean, also I have noticed a lot of americans dont get the british comedy's jokes, american are too visual or too situational - its BORING its not even funny..british humour like "Red Dwarf" sci-fi comedy have incredible humour so witty, its crazy...and funny... its not a example of 'dry' humour but just another way of saying I understand British humour..my american friend who visited here two years ago couldnt understand the Red Dwarf show, he's very bright its just typical he's a victim of a dumbed down american TV...

i know what you mean, also I have noticed a lot of americans dont get the british comedy's jokes, american are too visual or too situational - its BORING its not even funny..british humour like "Red Dwarf" sci-fi comedy have incredible humour so witty, its crazy...and funny... its not a example of 'dry' humour but just another way of saying I understand British humour..my american friend who visited here two years ago couldnt understand the Red Dwarf show, he's very bright its just typical he's a victim of a dumbed down american TV...

Perhaps you need to watch better channels.:cool2: Dry is not the same as cerebral.

i do watch good programs, and no, im not prepared to pay for junk Sky or Tivo...

maybe you should research on what it meant by dumbed down

Id bet you, one month, hell even one week in New Zealand you'd see there is vastly different notion of 'quality' applied here than there (USA)...

one of my favourite american tv show is Fringe...its cerebral or X-files...but sadly Fringe didnt seem to develop well for long term..(hope im wrong like it seem unable to compete with a lighter on tone cerebral comedy like Big Bang Theory...

Bottesini: I will not take Intro ASL again. Trying to learn without extensive practice OUTSIDE a classroom is a futile exercise-to me. I concluded a long time ago-still true today.

As for Jillio diagnosis of my alleged mental state prior to the Implant operation is completely gratuitous. Reality check-I joined alldeaf.com in July 2010 thus it is impossible to have analyzed anything concerning me
No I don't waste a time analyzing "subconscious fears of what "if" happens next week/year. I understand we can only live in the present as the past is gone and the future hasn't happened yet. A thought from my user name.

Bottesini: I will not take Intro ASL again. Trying to learn without extensive practice OUTSIDE a classroom is a futile exercise-to me. I concluded a long time ago-still true today.

As for Jillio diagnosis of my alleged mental state prior to the Implant operation is completely gratuitous. Reality check-I joined alldeaf.com in July 2010 thus it is impossible to have analyzed anything concerning me
No I don't waste a time analyzing "subconscious fears of what "if" happens next week/year. I understand we can only live in the present as the past is gone and the future hasn't happened yet. A thought from my user name.

You are lucky then. I always live with lots of fear of the future because I am losing my vision. Then I wonder how small my world will be if it is all gone.

Seriously?? COME ON! You live in T.O. for heaven sakes ... there's a HUGE Deaf (capital D) community in T.O.!
If you want to see "Deaf Culture" existing - step out of your own little world and ATTEND some of the Deaf Events (you could even take an ASL/English interpreter with you, so you could understand what was being said since you're ASL impaired).

CANADIAN CULTURAL SOCIETY OF THE DEAF
The Distillery Historic District
55 Mill Street, Building 5, Suite 101
Toronto, Ontario M5A 3C4

Looks like there are plenty of opportunities for you to practice OUTSIDE the classroom.

Bottesini;1756el784 said:
You are lucky then. I always live with lots of fear of the future because I am losing my vision. Then I wonder how small my world will be if it is all gone.

shit sorry to learn this, i guess you need to enjoy the present as much as you can maybe a ci might help more in future ? dunno if you or anyone asked you this before ? but just saying this like to secure contact with the world...dare i say...i generally don't believe in CI but there are exceptons

shit sorry to learn this, i guess you need to enjoy the present as much as you can maybe a ci might help more in future ? dunno if you or anyone asked you this before ? but just saying this like to secure contact with the world...dare i say...i generally don't believe in CI but there are exceptons

My auditory nerves got eaten by a virus, so I don't qualify. Probably I will retain some vision.

I am just a little depressed tonight. Don't worry by tomorrow I should be back as evil as ever! :wave:

Toronto has a massive deaf community, so there are plenty of places to practice at.

Back