Book - For Hearing People Only

Bottesini: your ongoing eye problems are clearly not in same league as the problem as when I was advised way back in 1992 I would become deaf at some point in the future. Like you- I have had my eyes tested by an ophthalmologist for the last 4 years-always feel "nervous during the 2 hour examination". In my case age is the "driver".
Also, like you I read a massive amount.

Off to Jump swing session in a couple of hours-7.30 to 11.00pm. Monday class. Smile: Cochlear Implant "exercise". Environment- Loud music to quiet people's voices at the same time- helps one's brain-so I have been advised.I have mentioned this before went to singles dance -3 days after activated in Aug07. Sounded very weird- remapped the next day! They just smiled in Sunnybrook/Toronto. Carry on: CHA CHA CHA!

Lets hope and pray you still get continued good news from your eye doctor's visit for a long. long time in the future.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Bottesini: your ongoing eye problems are clearly not in same league as the problem as when I was advised way back in 1992 I would become deaf at some point in the future. Like you- I have had my eyes tested by an ophthalmologist for the last 4 years-always feel "nervous during the 2 hour examination". In my case age is the "driver".
Also, like you I read a massive amount.

Off to Jump swing session in a couple of hours-7.30 to 11.00pm. Monday class. Smile: Cochlear Implant "exercise". Environment- Loud music to quiet people's voices at the same time- helps one's brain-so I have been advised.I have mentioned this before went to singles dance -3 days after activated in Aug07. Sounded very weird- remapped the next day! They just smiled in Sunnybrook/Toronto. Carry on: CHA CHA CHA!

Lets hope and pray you still get continued good news from your eye doctor's visit for a long. long time in the future.

:) Thanks. Have fun dancing!

Two very different situations are: (1) a person becomes deaf without any other issues; and (2) a person is dealing with a chronic disorder that includes going deaf. Note that I say "disorder," not disease. I'm referring to a congenital condition (exists at birth) that manifests over time. In my case, I have genetic disorder. For me, the hearing loss is the easy part. Dealing with other issues is more challenging, both physically and emotionally. While it's anyone's right to be blunt and insensitive about the second situation, most of us appreciate understanding and empathy. Not pity! Empathy is about putting yourself in another person's shoes and considering her point of view.

Well said, as usual.

Very interesting the selective use of "empathy". Funny thing- the very fact of selectivity to positions asserted which contradict their pontificating "deaf dogma"
Thanks to Jennifer about the ability of deaf/Deaf person in "spotting B S".
Not to be disrespectful of course.

Very interesting the selective use of "empathy". Funny thing- the very fact of selectivity to positions asserted which contradict their pontificating "deaf dogma"
Thanks to Jennifer about the ability of deaf/Deaf person in "spotting B S".
Not to be disrespectful of course.

I believe it is not so much the selective use of empathy, as the inability of yourself to understand and apply the meaning.

Thanks for showing the Jennifer observation in action! Another theoretical discussion, of course with the usual respect.

I'm confused. Can you explain to me what "deaf dogma" is?

You should check it out sometime if you enjoy swing dancing, tis hoppin :) they have live music on wed nights all swing most of the people get really into it dressing the part and all plus they have classes to learn some of the nifty toss the chick around moves I believe on monday or thursday nights.

Dang! Wish I was closer! Got a poodle skirt and saddle shoes just sitting in my closet taking up space!:P

Thanks for showing the Jennifer observation in action! Another theoretical discussion, of course with the usual respect.

Nothing "theoretical" about it. It seems that you term anything of which you are not familiar to be "theoretical." Just because you don't know about it doesn't mean that it is not an accepted and applied concept by those that do know about it.

I'm confused. Can you explain to me what "deaf dogma" is?

It would seem that he is comparing Deaf Culture with religious doctrine. Just another indication of how little he understands about cultural matters.

It would seem that he is comparing Deaf Culture with religious doctrine. Just another indication of how little he understands about cultural matters.

Dogma definition

An authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true

Another discussion in Sociology-subsection:ideology/ Culture.
The dictionary definition of dogma: a doctrine or doctrines put forward by some authority, especially the Church, to be accepted as true without QUESTION.
Does the proposition-deafness/Deafness is a "cultural matter" fit above? At the same time there is something called the "Hearing community" which takes the balance of the society will live in?

Dogmatic thinking is a style, of course. Correct?

The dictionary definition of dogma: a doctrine or doctrines put forward by some authority, especially the Church, to be accepted as true without QUESTION.
Does the proposition-deafness/Deafness is a "cultural matter" fit above? At the same time there is something called the "Hearing community" which takes the balance of the society will live in?

No. Just because YOU don't believe Deaf Culture exists doesn't mean it doesn't.

Maybe you're spewing "No Deaf Culture" Dogma. "I don't believe Deaf Cutlure exists therefore it's true w/o question".

Deaf culture describes the social beliefs, behaviors, art, literary traditions, history, values and shared institutions of communities that are affected by deafness and which use sign languages as the main means of communication. When used as a cultural label, the word deaf is often written with a capital D, and referred to as "big D Deaf" in speech and sign. When used as a label for the audiological condition, it is written with a lower case d.
Members of the Deaf community tend to view deafness as a difference in human experience rather than a disability.[1] The community may include family members of deaf people and sign-language interpreters who identify with Deaf culture and does not automatically include all people who are deaf or hard of hearing.[2] According to Anna Mindess, "it is not the extent of hearing loss that defines a member of the Deaf community but the individual's own sense of identity and resultant actions."[3] As with all social groups that a person chooses to belong to, a person is a member of the Deaf community if he or she "identifies him/herself as a member of the Deaf community, and other members accept that person as a part of the community."[4]
Deaf culture is recognised under article 30, paragraph 4 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which states that "Persons with disabilities shall be entitled, on an equal basis with others, to recognition and support of their specific cultural and linguistic identity, including sign languages and deaf culture."

edit:ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaf_culture

Who says no one here ever questioned the theories behind Deaf Culture's existence? They have been questioned extensively...and found to be viable and that the culture does indeed exist as a separate culture.

You are referring to dichotomous thinking. Something you demonstrate quite well in your own posts.

Deaf culture describes the social beliefs, behaviors, art, literary traditions, history, values and shared institutions of communities that are affected by deafness and which use sign languages as the main means of communication. When used as a cultural label, the word deaf is often written with a capital D, and referred to as "big D Deaf" in speech and sign. When used as a label for the audiological condition, it is written with a lower case d.
Members of the Deaf community tend to view deafness as a difference in human experience rather than a disability.[1] The community may include family members of deaf people and sign-language interpreters who identify with Deaf culture and does not automatically include all people who are deaf or hard of hearing.[2] According to Anna Mindess, "it is not the extent of hearing loss that defines a member of the Deaf community but the individual's own sense of identity and resultant actions."[3] As with all social groups that a person chooses to belong to, a person is a member of the Deaf community if he or she "identifies him/herself as a member of the Deaf community, and other members accept that person as a part of the community."[4]
Deaf culture is recognised under article 30, paragraph 4 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which states that "Persons with disabilities shall be entitled, on an equal basis with others, to recognition and support of their specific cultural and linguistic identity, including sign languages and deaf culture."

edit:ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deaf_culture
:gpost:

Just reading this screen is an "interesting" introduction of deaf/deaf culture. Right-really friendly/respectful of various opinions.
Minor quibble: how does one's use of ASL affect one's social attitude etc- Is this Sociology?

Just reading this screen is an "interesting" introduction of deaf/deaf culture. Right-really friendly/respectful of various opinions.
Minor quibble: how does one's use of ASL affect one's social attitude etc- Is this Sociology?

I hope I do not offend you but are you happy with your life drphil? yes or no will suffice. You seem very unhappy while trying to convince everyone you are content with your CI.... Yet you can't seem to wrap your head around the idea that people can be happy without CI.

Back