Book - For Hearing People Only

Write to customer services asking why they haven't filled your order before reordering. You don't won't to be disappointed-again.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Wirelessly posted

Wonderful Kristina - :ty: for your efforts.

Jillio: the "secret info" on deaf/Deaf culture listed in the 3 books above came from the index!

Wired for Sound- pages 113-133 - 21 pages (out of how many?)

Life after deafness- 7,23,109-110. definition 9 - 5 pages (out of of how many?)

Rebuilt "deaf community"-definition 9. future of 134-137,144' perception of "normal hearing person-132, race and socioeconomic demographics (US) 135-36, sense of community 121-123.127-128 VS Oralism 120-122,127, 130-135,137.
"Cultural genocide" 130-131. 153.

- 30 pages (out of how many?)

I'm looking for books whose main topic is Deaf Culture, not books that "just mentions it" especially if the books are about becoming hearing, not embracing Deaf Culture.

Please do stay on topic which is learning about Deaf Culture with an open mind.

If you actually read them you would find that all 3 has very favourable comments re "deaf/Deaf culture". All 3 are of course- bilaterally-deaf/Deaf.

Life after Deafness-175 pages & index
Wired for Sound-232 pages & index
Rebuilt-224 pages & index

Slightly different than a Journey into the DEAF-WORLD- LANE ET AL

Reading about any topic-one starts with an "open mind" however does the author/authors convince one of the "validity of their writings". Up to oneself. It is still a free country.

Implanted Advanced bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
I wonder if it would be beneficial for someone to create a thread of helpful books for the deaf/hoh/and interested to read and make it sticky. You know, kind of like the thread I started on website for ASL or sign language lessons and help.

I know for me, it would be helpful, but I would also hate to clutter up with so many sticky threads, you know?

Good idea, Kristina B. That way, only people who are actually interested in learning will go into the thread and we won't end up with posters criticizing that which they know nothing about. Go for it, girl!

Jillio: you don't appeared to have actually read the 3 books mentioned. All 3 do in fact talk about "deaf/Deaf culture". Though in different ways.

Wired for Sound- pages 113-133

Life after deafness- 7,23,109-110. definition 9

Rebuilt "deaf community"-definition 9. future of 134-137,144' perception of "normal hearing person-132, race and socioeconomic demographics (US) 135-36, sense of community 121-123.127-128 VS Oralism 120-122,127, 130-135,137.
"Cultural genocide" 130-131. 153.

Rebuilt's author-Michael Chorost is American-references American while Life after Deafness and Wired for sound- authors-Biderman & Shuster are Canadian-references Canadian.

All 3 authors do in fact have Cochlear Implants.

Sacks book is entirely different than the above 3.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Activated Aug/07

I've read those and many more. The difference is, I comprehend what I read and you obviously don't. Again, the first two are biographical accounts, not cultural treatises.

Jillio: the "secret info" on deaf/Deaf culture listed in the 3 books above came from the index!

Still lack of comprehension. They are biographical accounts of an individual's deafness, not cultural treatises.:roll: No wonder you are so confused.

I'm looking for books whose main topic is Deaf Culture, not books that "just mentions it" especially if the books are about becoming hearing, not embracing Deaf Culture.

Please do stay on topic which is learning about Deaf Culture with an open mind.

I think these books actually do focus on Deaf Culture, whether they mention that particular phrase on each page or not -- they are written from the perspective of several deaf individuals journeying into an awareness of what being deaf means. It just may not be the same journey you've experienced or the same journey a deaf man might have experienced in 1740. And although you may not give them the same weight as those by hearing professionals about the deaf experience, such as Oliver Sacks and Harlan Lane, which DRPhil also mentioned, I still think it would be logical to include some direct accounts by deaf people living and exploring their deaf identities and how they fit into Deaf culture today.

I think these books actually do focus on Deaf Culture, whether they mention that particular phrase on each page or not -- they are written from the perspective of several deaf individuals journeying into an awareness of what being deaf means. It just may not be the same journey you've experienced or the same journey a deaf man might have experienced in 1740. And although you may not give them the same weight as those by hearing professionals about the deaf experience, such as Oliver Sacks and Harlan Lane, which DRPhil also mentioned, I still think it would be logical to include some direct accounts by deaf people living and exploring their deaf identities and how they fit into Deaf culture today.

Well, the books by Harlan Lane and Oliver Saks were written from a participant/observer position, which is to say that they actually became involved, for a lengthy period of time, with Deaf Culture before putting the first word on paper.

The other two books speak of Deaf Culture from an outside perspective, as neither has actually been a part of such, and the motive was not to have to "Fit into" Deaf Culture.

I will be getting a list together as soon as I can start pulling things off my bookshelf, lol. I think just as informative as the books by hearing people who have lived in Deaf Culture, are those by the Deaf that were placed in a hearing environment and the negative effects it has had on them.

Jillio, I look forward to you list, too:wave:

again, :ty: everybody for the info!

FHPO is a very informative on Deaf culture. Very educational. Don't expect to finish it in under a month though. I just finished and have been reading 4-6 chapters each week during the school year since September. It's newspaper articles put together in book format. I think it's nifty.

Stephanie.

FHPO is a very informative on Deaf culture. Very educational. Don't expect to finish it in under a month though. I just finished and have been reading 4-6 chapters each week during the school year since September. It's newspaper articles put together in book format. I think it's nifty.

Stephanie.

:hmm: I have read it. Maybe three or four days because I was busy with other stuff at the same time?

Don't anybody be discouraged. It is really a simple and informative book.

Stephanie.

I read it in three days (once I finally got it from Amazon:cool:), but that's probably because I was super ambitious and read during class.

Back