Book - For Hearing People Only

I would put hearing people in the deaf society, totally on that his/her own, adapting and to learn. It is helluva a lot better than reading any books.

That is the best way in my opinion too, LinuxGold. Books are useful if you don't have that access. Unfortunately though, from what I have observed is that a good majority of the hearing world depend on written information to have 'facts' due to research by so called 'professionals' who have the 'degree' to prove it. etc. They rarely take 'straight from the horse's mouth' 'real life experience' as fact.

That is the best way in my opinion too, LinuxGold. Books are useful if you don't have that access. Unfortunately though, from what I have observed is that a good majority of the hearing world depend on written information to have 'facts' due to research by so called 'professionals' who have the 'degree' to prove it. etc. They rarely take 'straight from the horse's mouth' 'real life experience' as fact.

Yep. As can be evidenced by the unusual amount of demands of "Got a link for that?" that we see on this forum. I used to provide citations, and even post sections of research articles to back my statements up. I stopped when I realized that the vast majority of people demanding the citations didn't even bother to read them when provided. It was nothing more than a juvenile challenge. I still, however, will email the research I have to any member of AD that has demonstrated a willingness to learn and requests it politely.

That is interesting according to the "clinical observations"of Jillio I have both a Superiority and Inferiority complex -at the same time.. Is this"new" psychology based on reading into anyone's computer comments within the context of one biases? Projection? Is this something new-computer psychologist?Does the real Dr Phil know about this?

Thanks to Jenniifers's AD comment duly passed on by PFH about deaf/Deaf person's ability to "spot B S".Right-Is there lots floating around here?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Did you know that Jupiter is better than any amusement park ride in the world? Seriously, as soon as you "set foot" on that planet (since it's gas), you slingshot almost all the way through to the other side. Then you shoot back again. Then you go back and forth and back and forth and back and forth until you're firmly entrenched in the middle of the planet and you can't get out.:shock:

Even though I really love Earth (and I'm terrified of roller coasters), I'd still love to try that (if it wouldn't kill me).

I wanna go! I wanna go! ooo and to think its FREE well according to DrPhil, so it MUST be true!!

All that is left to say is "Road trip" who wants to go my truck seats 6 including me!

The written word is a powerful means of communication, drphil, your choice of words and your writing 'style' can tell a lot about a person.

The written word is a powerful means of communication, drphil, your choice of words and your writing 'style' can tell a lot about a person.

:gpost:
but still reliant upon who can understant this, I mean excellent post and yet its not called excellent because of the broad appeal it is excellent because it is precisely what the issue is and precisely what happens alot here...not just in AD ( but it is a major thing still) it just inescapable of who you are, and confused souls do sent confused messages too, but at same time, i dont like scorned directed at confused souls, (there are variations yes but..) like the ones enlightened SHOULD be grateful that they are, and should realise they have a duty to share it too, but unfortunately arent always the case. and now Drphil seem fairly competent with English and yet quite stubborn, they stubbornness on the ideological ground needs to be investigated , and this relys on Drphil's willingness to really be honest and do so in such a way asking oneself an objective question. This is preciously too, ASKING an OBJECTIVE QUESTION COUNTS FIRST BECAUSE ITS NOT SUBJECTIVE !!!, Drphil you need to realise how to address this, to this manner, no one but yourself to do this...sorry we can't force your mind, your mind belongs to yourself, but history, culture and ideology does not belong to you, it is collective, and ultimately the hegemony (dominant ideology belongs to those in power in society)...
BUT what ever you do, DONT ask why or who owns it, the utilmate reality for individuals regarding ideology and world-view, belongs to how you are honest with your own reality and how it fits what the way is the world is explained to your on the why's you are there , and why you are positiioned in as such in society...
oh dear, its almost like a catch 22 , and yes it is. but for now and for your sake of comprehending the issues which you have, it is best approached with your honesty to yourself and try not to be defensive, thing is like, being defensive is exactly what society (media) teaches us, but without any real reason, except to sooth our egos which make television so attractive and comforting...enought said !!

your own understanding is partially your own responsibility and where the lines drawn is also up to you (with or without help) to see where it lays,and hence you would understand how much 'outside influences shaped your 'thinking', until then you dont see it from 'oh i was a sheep' mentality...
that um...
that would be a good start if you did...

blank canvas: whether UFO actually exists is the first thing to verify then the next minor problem: why take anyone to Jupiter? Who pays? Not having visited Jupiter -no comment on the suitability for humans. In keeping with this forum- do "they" use ASL? Can "Whoever" from"where ever" be deaf?deaf like humans?

The choice of words/ideas used should be relevant to the topic of discussion at hand-so it seems to me.

Supposedly we discussing Cochlear Implants/ Hearing Aids/ASL/deaf/Deaf within the context of one's life experience correct?

Having arrived at various provisionally positions on "these matters" why does one need to have them "adjudicated by big brother" here? Does the reverse apply as well --Who approves "big brother"?

Ideology is part of Sociology and one can play real games forever-amusing parlour exercise for those with "lots of time on their hands"! Who is a "racist"xxxphobic( whatever the current rage is) Does having a position mean one is just being "stubborn"? Is that taking "things too far"?Does one's life experience have any value-to one's self?

Last edited:
I have no idea what dr. phil is writing about. Just incoherent ramblings. *shrug*

PFH as your "subtle understanding"-still trying to understand why you left me a You tube diatribe in ASL-when i previously mentioned I was ONLY a member of VampireFreaks.com and NOTHING else.
What was ambiguous about about being ONLY a member of VampireFreaks.Com?

Was your purpose to get me to join You tube? Do you get a commission for each new member?

PFH as your "subtle understanding"-still trying to understand why you left me a You tube diatribe in ASL-when i previously mentioned I was ONLY a member of VampireFreaks.com and NOTHING else.
What was ambiguous about about being ONLY a member of VampireFreaks.Com?

Was your purpose to get me to join You tube? Do you get a commission for each new member?

If you could have seen the video - you would have found the answer in the video.

For the record: I never think about "vampirefreaks.com" when I talk to you. I have never been to the site. It bears totally no weight here. It matters this much to me - infinitely nothing.

As for youtube - nobody earns commissions of any sorts, including silver stars, for member sign ups.

Oh well-will I miss your latest "momentous contribution to drivel" allegedly at my expense?
Can it wait 100 years?

And back to the OP. :wave:

:ty: Thanks everyone for your input on books to read to help a "hearie" learn about Deaf Culture.

Perhaps a sticky could be made in one of the forums where people could list books they'd recommend (and hopefully that would be the only kinds of post in that thread).

Supposedly we discussing Cochlear Implants/ Hearing Aids/ASL/deaf/Deaf within the context of one's life experience correct?
Uh, no. I started this thread to ask for opinions about a book I "found" that explains Deaf Culture to hearing people.

As far as I'm concerned this thread is now "closed". I got what I was looking for.

I actually have a question. Anyone know how long they usually take to ship? I ordered this book almost a month ago (off the site in the OP), and I haven't gotten any word of its shipment and no money has been taken off my $50 Mastercard gift card. I'm tempted to order again (my dad thinks the order might not have gone through), but I don't want to accidentally buy two.

Some books I have read after deafness:
Life after Deafness Bena Shuster: Cdn Hard of Hearing Association 1995 Ottawa, Ont

Wired for Sound-a journey into Hearing Beverly Bidmerman Trifolium Books, Toronto Ont1998

Rebuilt-how becoming part computer made me more human Michael Chorost Houghton Mifflin, New York 2005

Seeing Voices a journey into the world of the deaf Oliver Sacks, University of California Press Los Angeles 1989.

Happy reading!

Sorry LoveBlue didn't mean to stray from your OP
And I actually just ordered the book :)
np I don't remember who first strayed. Heck, it could have been me. :o I'm not going back through the whole thread to find out...not going to point finger. Just wanted to get it back on track.

Let me know who you like the book.

Back