Book - For Hearing People Only

Given the fact that he's been a hearie for 60+ years, though his hearing was diminishing during most of that time, it's understandable that he'd be uncomfortable (or afraid) of being deaf. However, that is not an excuse for his ramblings. Oh, wait, he doesn't ramble, he "shorthands". Anyway, he's apparently stuck on certain words in Chap 14 of that book and thinks it explains all.

I still want to know what deaf swimming is. Is it different from hearing swimming ?

:giggle:

I am unaware if there is any difference between Deaf/deaf vs Hearing swimming except being unable to hear the music playing. Work; Beating the clock. Retired for a few years.
Deafness as such is a fact-experiencing silence. How ones reacts -specific to you.
As to the deaf culture centre on Mill St. Toronto. I was in front of the place a few months ago-Blanche nuit night-closed! When sufficient time might visit the place after the hockey museum as well.
I don't read any books while swimming-does anyone?

As noted before interesting the "respectful" comments keyed-welcome to the "friendly deaf/Deaf cultural community"!

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I am unaware if there is any difference between Deaf/deaf vs Hearing swimming except being unable to hear the music playing. Work; Beating the clock. Retired for a few years.
Deafness as such is a fact-experiencing silence. How ones reacts -specific to you.
As to the deaf culture centre on Mill St. Toronto. I was in front of the place a few months ago-Blanche nuit night-closed! When sufficient time might visit the place after the hockey museum as well.
I don't read any books while swimming-does anyone?

As noted before interesting the "respectful" comments keyed-welcome to the "friendly deaf/Deaf cultural community"!

Good you went there. Did you check what hours are open?

I read a lot but never swim. Are you a hockey fan?

Sincerely,

Your friendly, respectful, friend in the deaf world. :)

Given the fact that he's been a hearie for 60+ years, though his hearing was diminishing during most of that time, it's understandable that he'd be uncomfortable (or afraid) of being deaf. However, that is not an excuse for his ramblings. Oh, wait, he doesn't ramble, he "shorthands". Anyway, he's apparently stuck on certain words in Chap 14 of that book and thinks it explains all.

Right. When one is afraid the way to deal with it is walk through the fear and get to the other side. One will usually find that what they were afraid of is not even there. Simply bashing that which one is afraid of is not healthy and serves only to alienate others.

I don't know. I have questions regarding deaf swimming, not answers.:lol:

I'm sorry I have no answers for you but I could add to the questions...
Wonder if its anything like deaf showering I do that daily :D its quiet a soapy scary at first but in the end its really just like hearing showering :hmm:

I'm sorry I have no answers for you but I could add to the questions...
Wonder if its anything like deaf showering I do that daily :D its quiet a soapy scary at first but in the end its really just like hearing showering :hmm:

Hmmm:hmm: good comparison. I would think the same would hold true for "deaf swimming'.:P

Hmmm:hmm: good comparison. I would think the same would hold true for "deaf swimming'.:P

Ya I can't remember doing much listening during laps when I could hear... So really I think we should just call it swimming for short :D

Not sure the exact time frame before drowning because of not breathing underwater. Not much danger of drowning in City of Toronto pools. Lifeguards watching.
Haven't considered reading while swimming.
I was more of a hockey fan when younger when there was only 6 teams in the NHL.
I have mentioned many times I have been BILATERALLY DEAF since December 20, 2006. I have also mentioned I knew that would happen since Feb/92. That is when I lost all hearing in right ear with a 85db loss in left. From all tests performed which eliminated "cancer/tumours" etc as "cause". It was just a matter of time.-15 years.So much for the alleged "fear of deafness". That is why I read about Deaf/deaf- Cochlear Implants and took Intro ASL in 1986/87

Not sure the exact time frame before drowning because of not breathing underwater. Not much danger of drowning in City of Toronto pools. Lifeguards watching.
Haven't considered reading while swimming.
I was more of a hockey fan when younger when there was only 6 teams in the NHL.

6 teams are in Canada. 24 in the United States. So do you wonder why it is called the NHL still since it is two nations? I do.

Were the 6 teams all in Canada and the United States did not belong?

Back