At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

• Driving legal at age 16

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Driving legal at age 18

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Driving legal at age 21

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Any other ages than 16, 18 and 21 ?

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
Some of your posts got me wondering... May I ask you questions?

Who pays teenagers to get driving liecsne?

Who pays teenagers to get driving exam?

Who pays teenagers to have car?

Who cover the car insurance & tax for the teenagers because the car insurance and tax for teenagers are very high?

Who pay gasoline for them?

The teenagers will never learn if the parents pays everything for them.

The teenagers have no money to pay anything... Right?

That's why we support driving legal age 18 because they earn from 3 years training course which it's easier for them to save up to pay driving lesson fee... Most parents support with second hand car for starter after their children pass driving theroy and exam. They learn to manage with car gasoline, insurance etc thru training course, money allowance from parents, job or unemployment benefit.

My children already learn how to manage with money thru monthly allowance from us an earlier age which it's good. It's not just them but other children, too.

There're common for people to use bikes in Germany because they take care of enivornment-friendly.

Liebling:-))) said:
Well, I rather to drive my children to anywhere... no matter either there're good or bad transportation around here. Safety is Safety

I want my children learn their experiments first and also consider their education and respect laws etc before let them to learn to drive. This is a safety.

Hi Liebling , that is a good way of thinking like that so that the kids will learn how to make good transportation choices. I know for sure that if I get married and have kids then my son will floor the gas on the car , all guys do when they are teenage boys. I can only hope they have safety in mind, good weather, no cars or people around and no cops around to take the car for a very fast spin and then I hate to say it but I hope my son learns from another people's mistakes while he is in high school and hears of friends being in drunk driving crashes , hopefully none of them are fatal but that it opens his eyes to what is up with driving and how to respect the car or truck as his mode of transportation to work or school or go back home etc. I would have to instruct the kids in a good way so that they will remember what I said. Being a father to a teenage son is going to be not that very easy. Whew , man !!!

I notice Heath didn't answer my question on page 2. :whistle:

Cheri said:
Do you have a link to back up your claim that in the North there are more teenagers accidents than South?

To answer your question on page 2 ....Cheri, It is common knowledge that the north has more car accidents than in the South.

Heath said:
To answer your question on page 2 ....Cheri, It is common knowledge that the north has more car accidents than in the South.

Common knowledge? How come I haven't heard? That's why I asked you to provide fact from the webite, and looks like you couldn't it, then don't post false statement without something to back your claim up with. :o

Cheri said:
Common knowledge? How come I haven't heard? That's why I asked you to provide fact from the webite, and looks like you couldn't it, then don't post false statement without something to back your claim up with. :o

It is not a false statement. It is commonknowledge. Even the hearing people know that is commonknowledge.

Just drive through the Deep South sometimes and you will see why then drive in the Northern states. :)

Do you know that farm kids at age of 12-15 still drive disel heavy-duty tractor/wheat combine equipment?

That's why the farmers can not afford to pay expensive manual labor to non-family people. Of course, they do not need to have a driver license for operating on the farm corps. However, they are not permitted to drive on the public roads. The farmers are aware that the kids are dangerous to the heavy equipments.
Ages 12 to 14
This age group can potentially be most at risk as many adolescents are greatly influenced by peer pressure, are rapidly growing, but lack coordination and possess an intense desire to impress others. Often, they participate in risky activities and reject parental supervision. To keep these children safe, the Kansas SAFE KIDS Coalition suggests the following:

Set clear and consistent rules and discuss the consequences and rewards. Make sure that adolescents understand the job to be performed and how to do it properly and safely. Parents should still consider working side-by-side with children, while monitoring their comprehension and task performance.

Enroll adolescents in equipment safety courses. Children should not operate any power equipment until they have been properly trained. This type of instruction will help teens develop strong safety habits while they perform the tasks.

Gradually increase the use of supplies and tools. Teach children how to properly use small power equipment, such as hand tools, based on training, maturity, and readiness to handle them.

Never allow young adolescents to operate tractors, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) or other heavy machinery.

Prohibit them from lifting heavy boxes, crates or other objects. Lifting can inflict excessive strain and lead to possible injury.

Children are a valuable resource for farm work, and proper safety and training can help minimize the risk of injury. However, children learn best by watching adults, and it's imperative for parents and caregivers to consistently perform tasks properly and enforce safety at all times.

Heath said:
It is not a false statement. It is commonknowledge. Even the hearing people know that is commonknowledge.

Just drive through the Deep South sometimes and you will see why then drive in the Northern states. :)

Good joke, poking fun at the slow, retarded drivers of the South, Heath.

Oh, well, if you were actually serious, then you really need to back your statement up.

Heath, shudd'up about south south south.. confirm WHERE?
:roll:
------------------------------------------------------------
Liebling's asking question...
Some of your posts got me wondering... May I ask you questions?
shoot me!

We pay for it at the once

We pay for it at the once too.

We'll buy used car at the once as gift 1st congrats new driver. If My teenager son or daughter's fault went into accident then we'll not going buy another used car. Get their own pocket expense!

Who cover the car insurance & tax for the teenagers because the car insurance and tax for teenagers are very high?
Under our auto insurance for a year only max.. get their own auto insurance.

MY teenager son or daughter's allowance 40 dollars a week that is it..no more paying extra another short notice.

Otherwise, If My teenager son or daughter have a job.. perfect we will not going give $ their allowance which can earn money from their work decent. And also pay their own auto insurance, gas and used car...

To answer some of your questions, Liebling......
There are several teenagers, who have worked during their summer holidays and/or doing some odd jobs in their neighborhood such as mowing lawns, raking up leaves, painting, etc, have saved up their money earned from doing these jobs. They would pay for drivers licence and buy an used car if they can afford to. Keep in your mind that a drivers licence here is not as expensive as it is in your country. If they didn't have any money they are willing to wait until they graduate from high school to find a job to buy a car and to pay for drivers licence. Some parents are willing to help them out but some parents rather for them to earn their own money to buy the car, get a drivers licence, pay insurance, and so on.

ButterflyGirl said:
There are several teenagers, who have worked during their summer holidays and/or doing some odd jobs in their neighborhood such as mowing lawns, raking up leaves, painting, etc, have saved up their money earned from doing these jobs. They would pay for drivers licence and buy an used car if they can afford to. Keep in your mind that a drivers licence here is not as expensive as it is in your country. If they didn't have any money they are willing to wait until they graduate from high school to find a job to buy a car and to pay for drivers licence. Some parents are willing to help them out but some parents rather for them to earn their own money to buy the car, get a drivers licence, pay insurance, and so on.

Ha ha ha ha...

That reminds of my life. I worked as a baseball maintance crew for public baseball/softball park. Of course, I have a driver license at age of 16. I told my mother that how am I gonna to earn money in order to purchase the car. My parents had to drop and pick me up at the job. During the hot summer, they realized that they are getting tired of it, and they decided to sell me their 1976 Ford Pinto (AD, hush up) in order to purchase their better car.....

I think that a legal age for driving could be 16 years old.

I strongly believe that it does not require for young kids to get the license to drive a big machine on a farm. I never thought that some farmers cannot afford to hire someone from outside the family. I do not see a problem having someone in the family to take care of the farm. They rather to enjoy riding on a big machine like the old' days. ;) :cool:

According to the voting polls...

For questions to the parents of kids at age of 17+,

Are you going to drive your kids to work daily especially full time jobs during hot summer?
Are you willing to pick your kids at 2:45 A.M. at your friends’ homes every weekend especially school projects daily at the library or friends’ homes?
If you work full time, do you really have time to drive your kids anywhere for their requests?

For the questions to the parents of kids at age of 20+,

Are you willing to drive your kids to college daily?
Are you willing to pick your kids at work after end of second or third shift?
Are you willing to drop and pick them up at the mall anytime?
If you work full time, how are you going to mange your kids’ requests?

Hey Cherri, ready to answer?

Heath said:
Hi Liebling , that is a good way of thinking like that so that the kids will learn how to make good transportation choices. I know for sure that if I get married and have kids then my son will floor the gas on the car , all guys do when they are teenage boys. I can only hope they have safety in mind, good weather, no cars or people around and no cops around to take the car for a very fast spin and then I hate to say it but I hope my son learns from another people's mistakes while he is in high school and hears of friends being in drunk driving crashes , hopefully none of them are fatal but that it opens his eyes to what is up with driving and how to respect the car or truck as his mode of transportation to work or school or go back home etc. I would have to instruct the kids in a good way so that they will remember what I said. Being a father to a teenage son is going to be not that very easy. Whew , man !!!

Teenage daughters, too. And, don't forget the seatbelt must be on!!

I live and drive in the South every day, and I see plenty of accidents, especially when it rains. I don't know which region has more accidents. I did read a government report that there are more accidents in rural areas than urban.

Also, many of the drivers in this area of the South are actually Northern transplants and snow birds, so I don't know how that figures into the equation.

It seems that our car insurance rates are high here, so I would guess that means SC drivers are not the greatest. :dunno:

Liebling:-))) said:

I paid for everything myself when I got my car and license.

When my daughter graduated from high school (age 18) we gave her our Dodge Colt (small used car) but she paid for all the expenses (her share of the insurance, gas, etc.). She had a job, so she could pay for it.

Hubby made payments to his dad to pay for his first car, when he was 18 years old. He paid for his own gas but his dad paid for the insurance.

... They learn to manage with car gasoline, insurance etc thru training course, money allowance from parents, job or unemployment benefit.
Hubby, daughter, and I paid for our car expenses thru our jobs. We didn't get allowances.

How do teenage children get "unemployment benefit"?

There're common for people to use bikes in Germany because they take care of enivornment-friendly.
We can't use bikes here because everything is too far away.

mld4ds said:
Do you know that farm kids at age of 12-15 still drive disel heavy-duty tractor/wheat combine equipment?

That's why the farmers can not afford to pay expensive manual labor to non-family people. Of course, they do not need to have a driver license for operating on the farm corps. However, they are not permitted to drive on the public roads. The farmers are aware that the kids are dangerous to the heavy equipments.

Yes I often saw the kids from farm families drive tractor here.. It's legal but only if they drive on the field only, not on the road. Danny had been tried at his friend's house where he overnight there... He like it... :D His friend have a large farm with 6 horses, 5 dogs, 10 cats, many hens... The people went them for ride lesson...

webexplorer said:
I strongly believe that it does not require for young kids to get the license to drive a big machine on a farm. I never thought that some farmers cannot afford to hire someone from outside the family. I do not see a problem having someone in the family to take care of the farm. They rather to enjoy riding on a big machine like the old' days. ;) :cool:

No, the kids don't have to get the license to drive big machine like tractor on the farm/field etc EXCEPT road.

GalaxyAngel and ButterflyGirl, thank you for answer my questions...

ButterflyGirl said:

Yes I aware that driving lesson in America is not expensive as Germany.

Yes, it's true rather to have the children to earn their own money which it's good for them to learn how to budget with money for their future.

To me, I support expensive fees to cheap... Why? because of safety is safety. 99% of Germans consider driving licence as their value due "expensive fee"... It makes them responsible more and more to drive sensible since driving liecense cost them bomb and awful alot of money and also stricter vehicle law... The court will ban your driviing liecsne for long months and get you go back to driving lesson... it cost you double... That's why Germans are sensible driver... I am not saying ALL but most.

mld4ds said:
According to the voting polls...

For questions to the parents of kids at age of 17+,

Here is my answer to your questions

Are you going to drive your kids to work daily especially full time jobs during hot summer?

What about bike? There're common in Germany use bicycles no matter how far...

Yes, I don't mind to drive my kids to work daily because their safety is matter to me... no matter either I feel tiring or not...

There're bus connection... if not, drive kids to work before on my way to work... There're very common like this in Germany...

Are you willing to pick your kids at 2:45 A.M. at your friends’ homes every weekend especially school projects daily at the library or friends’ homes?

I would say YES because their safety is matter to me... Should I let my children drive when they drink or let my children go with drunk driver? No Way... That's why a lot of parents share their pick up.... There're common like this in Germany.

If you work full time, do you really have time to drive your kids anywhere for their requests?

I has to limit my children where they want to go... If there're important thing, then I don't mind drive them to... Fridays or Saturdays are okay, not under week. It's important for the children to learn to respect our limit. If they really want to drive then save up themselves.

For the questions to the parents of kids at age of 20+,

Here is my answer to your question

Are you willing to drive your kids to college daily?

Same as above. bicycle, bus connection... if bad bus connection... I don't mind to drive them to college or work daily or put them to train station before on my way to work.

Are you willing to pick your kids at work after end of second or third shift?

All what I know from here... A lot of co-workers share their driving - pay them gasonline to drive them to my house... I see no problem for that because co-workers are glad to drive them to home when they don't have drive liecense... They pay gasoline expenses.

Are you willing to drop and pick them up at the mall anytime?

See above about limit...
My eldest son Danny took bus to town with their mates, sometimes with bicycles... He knows if I want to go mall then do that on Saturdays. If he wants then come with me. If he pick different then he take bus or bicycle... talk with his mates to drive to mall... where their mates's parents drive to... We parents share our driving when there're sports, shopping, etc... If my children want to own car then save up themselves...

If you work full time, how are you going to mange your kids’ requests?

It's important to teach children to respect... If not, then it's bad. My children grew up knowing what respect is and know my rules and limit for go out shopping... I told them that I do not go shopping everyday due gasoline expense but Saturdays... I also drive my children to swimming... I see no problem why should I feel tiring??? No Way, their safety is MAINLY important, no matter what.

Hey Cherri, ready to answer?

Let her to answer your question herself... :thumb:

Back