At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

• Driving legal at age 16

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Driving legal at age 18

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Driving legal at age 21

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Any other ages than 16, 18 and 21 ?

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters
In the Deep South it has always been age 14 and up north it has always been age 16.

Heath said:
In the Deep South it has always been age 14 and up north it has always been age 16.

Don´t forget that there´re high teenager killed by car accdients due their immaturity.

In the north , yes alots of teenagers are killed ... in the Deep South , everybody knows better or they would get their ass kicked big time by their father and the police don't play games in the Deep South. Accidents do happen in the South but not as bad and frequently than in the north.

Liebling:-))) said:
Yes, please read my link about driving school in Germany

http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=438842&postcount=11

Yes, it´s very expensive but I´m agree that it´s worth to protect people to take driving school at age...

For my children, we already talked my children that we do not support them with driving lesson fees. If they want to learn to drive then they have to save up... (we didn´t tell them that we will get 2 second car for starter for them after they get driving liescne because we see that they can make it sucess first and then surprise them).

yea, i was shocked i didn know about in Ukraine :dunno: all my family n relatives dont have own car but uncle who used to be air force has truck :aw:

My boys got their first permit at 15 and license at 16. They got their own cars with their own money at 17. Same with me I got my permit at 15 and license at 16. I don't see anything wrong with them get license at 16. It is easier to control them, if they break law or got bad grades, their license got suspended or their parents take their license away.

Also insurance will be cheaper if you are experience and drive more than 3 years so that means if they drive at 16 and at 19, their insurance is lower than other non experience drivers. (only for people with clean record)

Heath said:
In the north , yes alots of teenagers are killed ... in the Deep South , everybody knows better or they would get their ass kicked big time by their father and the police don't play games in the Deep South. Accidents do happen in the South but not as bad and frequently than in the north.

Do you have a link to back up your claim that in the North there are more teenagers accidents than South?

Good point, Cheri..yeah here's the proof?

Cheri said:
Do you have a link to back up your claim that in the North there are more teenagers accidents than South?

The laws says here at the age of 16 for kids to get their driver license and I happen to agree with what the laws states....

Anyone can really get into a car accident, not just teenagers, driving a car to and from school does help alot, I had to learn how to drive in order to get my driver license so I can drive myself to two different schools which I attend beauty vocational program at another high school, then back to my other high school for classes.....I got my driver license at the age of 17 and finally I was able to drive myself without riding a school bus or cab... :D

My oldest son is now 15, he will be learning how to drive this spring, and when he turn 16 in November, he will get his license after passing the driving exam....I may not like the idea of him driving a car, but I have to think about what it was like for me back then, I rather to drive at the age of 16 too....so why not my kids and other kids as well also....I think 16 is a reasonable age for them to learn how to drive and get their license....Why does everything have to be at the age of 18...Let kids have their moment, and sometimes things may happen, but we can't keep locking our kids out from this world just to keep them safe..

I'd like to bring an eye-opening element to this whole discussion.

Many of you have advocated that the age needs to be higher, because "young drivers are dangerous and inexperienced and insurance rates are higher" and on and on and on.

Those people are discounting a couple of points:

1) The majority of accidents happen when you combine inexperienced drivers with distractions (passengers, music, late at night and feeling tired, cell phones, and so on). How old should someone be to get a license if the car was completely automated, with very little input from the driver?

2) I wouldn't need a driver's license if I had good public transportation around here! Of course there isn't in the U.S., so I had to get my license as soon as possible to get anywhere!

i got my DL when i was 19 yrs old.. cuz of i dont wanna rush to get dl so took my time til i felt ready get dl..

also i think it 16 yrs old cuz of summer time, they need drive to work and part work and need money for school stuff and their personal too.. that what i thought..

Dennis said:
...I wouldn't need a driver's license if I had good public transportation around here! Of course there isn't in the U.S., so I had to get my license as soon as possible to get anywhere!
Amen!

Liebling:-))) said:
What other nations do

By Jayne O'Donnell, USA TODAY

U.S.-based highway safety experts often point out how much harder it is for teenagers in many other countries to get a license. Some European nations don't allow learner's permits until age 17 or 18. Even when 16-year-olds in Europe are allowed to drive, the costs of required driver training and insurance often delay licensing until they're older.

Here are some of the approaches to teen licensing around the world
Thanks for the info.

Heath said:
In the "Deep South" of South Carolina, it is 15 for a beginner's license.

France
No licensing until age 18, but teens can begin driver training at 16 if they sign a contract that's also signed by a driving school and a supervisor. During this period, teens must drive at least 12 mph below speed limits. One study of this practice, though, found it had no effect on the likelihood of crashes.
Yikes, I don't want to be stuck behind those drivers on a two-lane road! :D

I learned how to drive when I was 16. In my lifetime already (I'll be 43 on March 8), I have only had maybe 4 speeding tickets and, the Thursday before Christmas, had my second accident. The first one was 21 years ago either this month or next. The first accident I was at fault, the second one, other driver was. I have been noticing way too many young drivers either talking on their cell phones while driving or wearing sunglasses or hats. One company I drove truck for, my trainer told me, "No sunglasses, as I want to see your eyes at all times." I concur.

Full drivers license is permitted at age 14 in South Dakota. :eek2: I think thats too young. I think 18 is a good age.

mlkshkgrl said:
Full drivers license is permitted at age 14 in South Dakota. :eek2: I think thats too young. I think 18 is a good age.
According to the official South Dakota state website it is age 16 for a full drivers license:

Restricted Minor’s Permit — To obtain a Restricted Minor’s Permit, you must be at least 14 years of age and pass the vision, knowledge, and driving test, complete the requirements of the Instruction Permit, and have not been convicted of a traffic violation during the past six months prior to obtaining the Restricted Minor’s Permit. An individual up to age 18 years of age may hold a Restricted Minor’s Permit. The permit is valid for 5 years, for a cost of $8.00.

Restrictions: Entitles the holder, while having the permit in his immediate physical possession, to operate a motor vehicle during the hours of 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. if the motor vehicle is being operated with the permission of the minor’s parent or legal guardian; and during the hours of 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. if the minor’s parent or legal guardian is occupying a seat beside the driver. Upon attaining age 18, permit converts to Operator’s License.

Operator’s License — To obtain an Operator’s License, you must be at least 16 years of age and pass the vision, knowledge, and driving test If a minor is at least 16 years of age, but under 18 years of age, they must complete the requirements of the Instruction Permit and have not been convicted of a traffic violation during the past six months prior to obtaining the Operator’s License. The license is valid for 5 years, for a cost of $8.00. To renew an Operator’s License you must pass the vision test.

Dennis said:
1) The majority of accidents happen when you combine inexperienced drivers with distractions (passengers, music, late at night and feeling tired, cell phones, and so on). How old should someone be to get a license if the car was completely automated, with very little input from the driver?

Yes, it's not just alochol, anyone blame to cause car accdients but immature ways (car races, etc).

2) I wouldn't need a driver's license if I had good public transportation around here! Of course there isn't in the U.S., so I had to get my license as soon as possible to get anywhere!

Well, I rather to drive my children to anywhere... no matter either there're good or bad transportation around here. Safety is Safety

I want my children learn their experiments first and also consider their education and respect laws etc before let them to learn to drive. This is a safety.

FreeWoman77 said:
yea, i was shocked i didn know about in Ukraine :dunno: all my family n relatives dont have own car but uncle who used to be air force has truck :aw:

Ukraine? May I correct you that it's Germany I live, not Ukraine :)

Back