At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

At what age do you think people should be permitted to have a driver's license?

• Driving legal at age 16

Votes: 34 45.9%
  • Driving legal at age 18

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • Driving legal at age 21

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Any other ages than 16, 18 and 21 ?

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score
Come and share your opinions with agree and disagree what do you think of driving legal age... :thumb:

To me, driving legal should be 18. Why? Because I rather to have teenagers to consider their school education and enjoy their experiment to any experiences and laws first then......

Minimum Driving Age USA
http://www.2pass.co.uk/ages2.htm

Minimum Driving Age Europe
http://www.2pass.co.uk/ages.htm

Minimum Driving Age The Rest Of The World
http://www.2pass.co.uk/ages3.htm

THE NUMBERS
Statistics on teen driving and crashes
— Car crashes are the leading cause of death for American teens — more than drugs, guns, or any disease.
— A teenager’s first 500 miles of driving are the most dangerous. During that time, they’re 10 times more likely to crash than an adult.
— In 2003 alone, teens were involved in an estimated million and a half accidents.
— Two-thirds of the teenagers who died in car accidents last year were not buckled up.
— During the most recent five year period for which records are available, nearly 35,000 people died when a teenager was driving.
— Teen drivers killed in motor vehicle collisions had a youth passenger in the automobile 45 percent of the time.
— For every 10 "close calls" in a car, there’s one crash.
— 16-year-olds crash at a rate that’s nearly one and a half times as high as 17-year-olds.
— 15 to 20-year-olds make up 7 percent of licensed drivers, but suffer 14 percent of fatalities and 20 percent of all reported collisions.
— 53 percent of teen driver deaths occur on weekends.
— On the basis of current population trends, there will be 23 percent more 16 to 20-year-old drivers on the road in 2010 than there are today — 26.1 million.

The perils of teen driving
A painful lesson for one family: 16-year-olds may be too young to drive
FREE VIDEO

SILVERSPRINGS, MD.— Like a lot of parents, Dr. Arturo Betancourt and his wife Lulu struggled to strike a balance between protecting their 16-year-old daughter Alicia and overprotecting her. Alicia was the kind of child parents never worry about: a bright talented artist and popular pom pom girl known for her perpetual smile.

Alicia was about as responsible a 16-year-old as you could find. So when she asked to go out for ice cream with a 16-year-old old boy one Friday night, her parents said yes — but they still laid down some strict ground rules: The boy has to pick her up from her house, get out of the car, ask for her, and meet her dad.

“I want to speak to him,” Dr. Betancourt told Alicia. He even reminded her to avoid distracting him when he’s driving.

“Sometimes she would complain about all the rules,” says Alicia’s mother, Lulu. Rules included a curfew that Alicia always obeyed.

But that night she didn’t come home on time.

The Betancourts began to worry, and finally, filled with foreboding, they called the police.

The dispatcher told them to stay at home, and that two officers were on their way.

“At that point, I knew that my daughter was dead,” says Arturo Betancourt.

Alicia, who was wearing a seatbelt, had been killed instantly in a terrible crash. Police say the boy lost control of the car. He hit a utility pole and was seriously injured.

“The day after my daughter had died and we were at the funeral parlor, the funeral director, who was a very kind man, said, ‘It is time for you to pick out a casket.’ You feel that you’re just sinking into an abyss for which you don’t feel that you’ll be able to escape,” recalls Dr. Betancourt.

In the weeks after Alicia’s death, her father found himself on the Internet searching for anything he could find about teenage driving. Among all the information, he learned that teenagers not only have the highest crash and fatality rates of any age group but 16-year-olds specifically are at the greatest risk.

A 'national health epidemic'
The National Institutes of Health has conducted a study which sheds new light on what parents have long suspected: that teenagers often lack good judgment. The study shows that there may be a biological explanation — the teen brain may simply lack the capacity to make critical driving decisions.

Using brain scans, NIH saw that teenagers' brains are not fully developed — particularly, the portions that regulate risk-taking and impulse control, crucial to driving. The process of the brain maturing are not complete until after the age of 20, four years after most teenagers start to drive.

Dr. Jeffrey Runge, head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, calls this a “national health epidemic.” Runge is also an emergency room doctor who has treated too many teenage crash victims.

“If we had any other disease that was wiping out our teenagers at the rate of thousands per year, there would be no end to what we would do as a society to stop that,” says Dr. Runge.

Reducing the risk
Some attempts have been made to reduce teen driving deaths. About 44 states and the District of Columbia now have something called graduated licensing for young drivers which have restrictions on everything from how late they can drive at night, to how many passengers they can carry.

And although graduated licensing laws have lowered the rate of teen deaths by as much as 25 percent, Dr. Runge and other safety experts say a lot more needs to be done.

A growing number of people think raising the driving age would save lives. They look to Europe, where in most countries you have to be 18 to drive and fatalities are much lower.

However, in the United States, there is less public transportation and more dependence on cars. And each state makes its own laws.

In America, driving at 16 has been considered a right and rite of passage since the early days of the automobile—and that’s unlikely to change anytime soon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8501174/

Should we blame alcohol to kill driving teenagers? No, we should not blame alcohol but YOU, ME and everyone who have brains to know how handle the responsible.. Look at 16 years old sensible Alicia killed by car accident... Do she drinking? No, she didn´t. That´s why I agree to increase driving legal age until they are old enough to understand the respect and responsible first... consider their education..... then....

Teen Driving Statistics

Teen Driving Statistics
http://www.rmiia.org/Auto/Teens/Teen_Driving_Statistics.htm

I don´t understand why Government did not increase driving legal age to protect them more accidents... but just alcohol because they think alcohol is the blame why the teenagers killed by car accidents... which it´s not... Remember it´s not just alcohol... but oversleep, driving races, etc.

Our legal limit is 16 and I don't agree with that, I believe the age of 21 is more please to me. We have too much teenagers involving in accidents because of their teen ways. Teenagers are being teenagers, I think 21 is the most mature age of responsible of driving on the roads. :)

If you ask me, I don't think it would make that big of a difference. People at 18 are just as rowdy or worse than these at 16. Have you ever been to a college?

You ever seen how people party at these places? Yet you feel that they are mature enough to drive at 18?

I started driving at 16 and I still have nothing bad on my driving records. I'm 22 now, and I'm glad I obtained my license when I was 16. Of course, they don't get all the privileges here. Beginners get G1 license (learner's permit), then G2 license but you cannot teach anybody how to drive till you've completed 4 years or obtain the G license. That's how it is done in Ontario, and from what I know, we have a better safety record in comparison to the other provinces in Canada.

My sister and brother-in-law allow my 13 year-old nephew to back cars in and out of the driveway. I really don't have a problem with that as long as he doesn't get into an accident. I wouldn't want him out on the road though even with an adult supervisor.

Driving is a priviledge, not a right. None of the stats in your first post suprised me. Let them wait until 18 for full license and then only under strict conditions. This may save lives and let parents sleep at night.

I don't see the learners' permit ages for Europe.

Cheri said:
Our legal limit is 16 and I don't agree with that, I believe the age of 21 is more please to me. We have too much teenagers involving in accidents because of their teen ways. Teenagers are being teenagers, I think 21 is the most mature age of responsible of driving on the roads. :)

The problem is, teenagers need to be capable of driving in order to attend their college classes or get to their workplaces. Public transportation and parents aren't always reliable when it come to that. Plus it teaches them about self-responsiblity.

The reason why in the age range of 16 - 24 is higher than the other groups with the exception for 80 and beyond age range according to a DMV webpage is because of inexperience and lack in understanding the dangers. The only way to get the teenagers to understand it is to educate them before they take their first driving lesson which is often neglected if you ask me. All students should be required by the law to take driving courses provided with the proper education.

By the way, if all teenagers were barred from driving... I can guarantee you that it'll make a negative impact on the economy. People often don't realize that a LARGE portion of the teen population are employed in a part-time job. It does make a big difference because a lot of these jobs aren't wanted by adults.

The information in the link to USA driving laws is not up to date. Here are the requirements for South Carolina:

Class D - Regular Passenger Vehicle Beginner's Permit
A regular passenger vehicle beginner's permit allows you to practice driving a vehicle while you are accompanied by an experienced licensed driver.

To get a Class D Beginner's Permit:
You must be at least 15 years old.
You must bring your birth certificate, social security card, proof of residency and insurance information.
If you are under 18 years of age, you must bring your parent or legal guardian with you to sign your application.
You must pass the vision and knowledge tests.
Restrictions:

You may drive from 6 a.m. to midnight if a licensed driver who is at least 21 years old and has at least one year of driving experience accompanies you in the front seat.
From midnight to 6 a.m., you may drive if a licensed parent or guardian accompanies you in the front seat.
You must have your beginner's permit for 180 days before you can apply for a driver's license.
If you are under 18 years of age, you must practice driving with your licensed parent or legal guardian for at least 40 hours, including 10 hours during darkness, before you can apply for your driver's license.

Is 16 too young to drive a car?

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-03-02-teens-cars-main-usat_x.htm

hears both sides of the argument. "We have parents who are pretty much tired of chauffeuring their kids around, and they want their children to be able to drive," he says. "Driving is a very emotional issue."

:jaw: I can´t beleive after read those link that the parents complaint for "chauffeuring" their kids around... I can´t believe this... *goose bumps". Here in Germany, a lot of parents are happy to drive their children to anywhere... of course including me... All what I think is their SAFETY.... No matter what...

What other nations do

By Jayne O'Donnell, USA TODAY

U.S.-based highway safety experts often point out how much harder it is for teenagers in many other countries to get a license. Some European nations don't allow learner's permits until age 17 or 18. Even when 16-year-olds in Europe are allowed to drive, the costs of required driver training and insurance often delay licensing until they're older.

Here are some of the approaches to teen licensing around the world:

Germany

Once they turn 18, teens can be taught to drive at driving schools. Fairly rigorous — and expensive — training is required. After that's completed, teen drivers earn a two-year probationary license. That license can be extended for two more years — or revoked in case of a driving infraction, such as running a red light.

France
No licensing until age 18, but teens can begin driver training at 16 if they sign a contract that's also signed by a driving school and a supervisor. During this period, teens must drive at least 12 mph below speed limits. One study of this practice, though, found it had no effect on the likelihood of crashes.

Britain
Learner's permits, called provisional licenses, are allowed at age 17. New drivers can drive only with people 21 or older, must display red "L" plates on their vehicles and cannot drive on highways.

Nova Scotia, Canada
After obtaining a learner's permit after they turn 16, drivers spend two years with licenses that restrict late-night driving. To get an unrestricted license, teens must complete a defensive-driving or other driver-training course. Graduated licensing has cut crash rates by 50% for beginner 16- and 17-year-olds during their first six months.

Victoria, Australia
Sixteen-year-olds can get learner's permits but are ineligible for unrestricted licenses until they're 18. During the probationary period before teens are fully licensed, their vehicles cannot surpass a certain ratio of horsepower to vehicle weight.

Denmark
Requires driver education that includes defensive driving, hazard perception and driving maneuvers. Fewer crashes were reported in the first year after tougher licensing rules were imposed. Teens can get a learner's permit when they're 17 1/2. They can get a probationary license at 18; they must hold that for three years before all restrictions are lifted.

Ontario, Canada
Drivers with learner's permits, which can be issued at 16, can't drive on high-speed roads. A "probationary" license can be issued at 16 years, four months. Teens can take the test for a full license 12 months later or at age 18, whichever is later.

New Zealand
In 1987, it became the first nation to use graduated licensing. At 15, teens can get a learner's permit, which they must hold six months before they can get a restricted license. For 18 months, those licenses bar nighttime driving or any teen passengers in the vehicle without a supervising adult present. At 17, full licenses can be issued. Early evaluations showed about a 25% drop in fatal crashes. Longer-term studies found graduated licensing cut teen deaths about 7%.

British Columbia, Canada
Teen drivers in an 18-month novice stage after the learner's permit period (which can begin at age 16) must display an "N" on their vehicle. Teens who complete driver education can reduce, from six to three months, their time with a learner's permit. But though the rate of crashes fell 16%, crash rates rose 27% among teens who needed learner's permits for only three months because they'd taken driver's education.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-03-02-teens-cars-main-usat_x.htm

<18 ok to drive, imo, cuz they're old enough when they are going to college/university, i dont think their parents to drive for them and pick for them like forever if i was them i wouldnt like that :D

did u know when was mine? i got driving license at 25 :o

Reba said:
I don't see the learners' permit ages for Europe.

Driving schools in Germany
http://www.toytownmunich.com/wiki/Driving_Schools
http://www.toytownmunich.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=145

No, there´re no "learner permit" until the teenage turn 18 years old.

They are obliated to make theory class (answer and question test) first to learn about vehicle/traffic law until they pass theory exam then take driving lesson .... until they pass driving test then get liecsne. They are not very cheap.... You will be shock when you see those link... I know myself because I spend around $2,500 for that driving liescne... (including theory and lessons etc. fee)

Germany
Once they turn 18, teens can be taught to drive at driving schools. Fairly rigorous — and expensive — training is required. After that's completed, teen drivers earn a two-year probationary license. That license can be extended for two more years — or revoked in case of a driving infraction, such as running a red light.

Driving in Germany
http://www.howtogermany.com/pages/driving.html

German Traffic Laws & Regulations
http://gettingaroundgermany.home.att.net/regeln.htm

Last edited:
I didnt get mine till 20. I took my time. I agreed with Cheri. But i go with 18 right after she/he graduate HS and can get her/his DL.

in CA Law, I don't know if it is still law or not. My mom told me that you can get permit at 16 along with an adult with DL till 18 when you graudate and DMV will give you real DL. So that was way back umm maybe around 1998 or 1999.

My cousin didn't get her DL till she graudated from HS I think. I can be wrong...or she was lucky to got it before the law changed. I can't remmy.

FreeWoman77 said:
<18 ok to drive, imo, cuz they're old enough when they are going to college/university, i dont think their parents to drive for them and pick for them like forever if i was them i wouldnt like that :D

FreeWoman77 said:

Yes, I got my driving licesne at 29... :o (I save up money to get driving liecsne).

Mama2AFTIV said:
in CA Law, I don't know if it is still law or not. My mom told me that you can get permit at 16 along with an adult with DL till 18 when you graudate and DMV will give you real DL. So that was way back umm maybe around 1998 or 1999.

My cousin didn't get her DL till she graudated from HS I think. I can be wrong...or she was lucky to got it before the law changed. I can't remmy.

Check US driving legal law
http://www.2pass.co.uk/ages2.htm

Liebling:-))) said:
Yes, I got my driving licesne at 29... :o (I save up money to get driving liecsne).

save money? expensive in Germany? here only 15 dollars, i havent had a car in my childhood in my home country we used to walk taking by public transport/subway/underground so here in USA i see they need own cars, i have 3 times failed driving test :D studying/reading book by myself, finally passed :wiggle:

Learner platers - undergo at least 120 hours of logbooked wheel time!!!!
16 in Victoria for Learners permit.

After pass their test, they MUST wear P-plates (probationary) on their car for the first THREE YEARS - to show us they are INEXPERIENCED DRIVERS!!!!.

Driving on a probationary licence.
After you pass your tests you will be issued with a probationary licence which allows you to drive under certain conditions. While driving you must:

* have a Blood Alcohol Content (BAC) of .00%
* not drive high powered vehicles
* display ‘P’ plates on the front and back of the vehicle
* carry your driver licence with you
* can only drive a vehicle with automatic transmission if the test was passed in an automatic vehicle. (Does not apply if you have previously held a manual licence).

Two opinion - Manual or automatic test
My daughter will take a lesson very soon, BUT we parents want her to drive on manual gear (shift stick) to learn the test, because my sister in law only learn on automatic as she is not allow to drive manual gear because she has no experienced. For those who learn on manual gear are allow to drive both.

I learn to drive while I was in England at 17.

Banjo said:
If you ask me, I don't think it would make that big of a difference. People at 18 are just as rowdy or worse than these at 16. Have you ever been to a college?

You ever seen how people party at these places? Yet you feel that they are mature enough to drive at 18?

I started driving at 16 and I still have nothing bad on my driving records. I'm 22 now, and I'm glad I obtained my license when I was 16. Of course, they don't get all the privileges here. Beginners get G1 license (learner's permit), then G2 license but you cannot teach anybody how to drive till you've completed 4 years or obtain the G license. That's how it is done in Ontario, and from what I know, we have a better safety record in comparison to the other provinces in Canada.

I'm second as same Banjo's comment extactly Ontario law..

Unless when to see my child(s) is very good attudies and respect parent.. I'm allow my child can learn driving.. If child(s) not follow parent's rules and other kinds.. will not allow a child(s) learn driving lesson.. until 18 yrs old..
Child making their choices for behavouir!

FreeWoman77 said:
save money? expensive in Germany? here only 15 dollars, i havent had a car in my childhood in my home country we used to walk taking by public transport/subway/underground so here in USA i see they need own cars, i have 3 times failed driving test :D studying/reading book by myself, finally passed :wiggle:

Yes, please read my link about driving school in Germany

http://www.alldeaf.com/showpost.php?p=438842&postcount=11

Yes, it´s very expensive but I´m agree that it´s worth to protect people to take driving school at age...

For my children, we already talked my children that we do not support them with driving lesson fees. If they want to learn to drive then they have to save up... (we didn´t tell them that we will get 2 second car for starter for them after they get driving liescne because we see that they can make it sucess first and then surprise them).

Back