Ask a Relay Opr!

Working here for over a year, I have also noticed there are more than a few relay operators who will have it out with someone who says, "We don't accept relay calls."

You see a look of anger wash over the operators face as if to say, "The HELL you don't!" What happens next is a heated exchange on the deaf person's behalf. It's not really encouraged, but it does happen from time to time. Some of us like deaf people here and we don't take kindly to the fact that they are excluded for no reason, especially someone who is particularly rude in their statement.

I, myself, have taken a few uptight hearing folks to the whipping shed about refusing relay calls. I can't really discuss details, but lets just say they ended up taking the call.

:hug: Atta girl! You know, I've had operators write that the recipient laughs or chuckles after the explanation, which I think is rude by them (not relay). I want to know what they're doing on the other end of the phone, but, when I call a business and get laughed at, that business needs to know that my wallet or checkbook might be opened and, after reading a response like that, I just closed it and will tactfully end the call by any means possible. I won't abruptly hang up, but that business will find out they just lost my business.

I HATE THAT!

Hearing people don't get asked that. Why should we get asked that question? Keep on holding til we say to hang up. Geez.

Another HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE pet peeve of mine with relay calls is when I'm in the MIDDLE of speaking to someone and it is an extremely important call, the operator announces that she has to switch operators. DAMMIT, I'm in the MIDDLE of a VERY IMPORTANT CALL and you switch operators? Geez, that will confuse the hearing person I am speaking to, and, due to that, many hearing people have hung up on me for that! PLEASE, for the love of all that is good and holy, WAIT until I have completed the call, and then change operators. PLEASE! I do not care how long the phone call has been, DON'T DO IT UNTIL I HAVE COMPLETED THE CALL. If I have the ability to type for much longer periods of times than the period of time that has passed before you switch operators, then so can you. Geez! :mad:

:giggle: For some strange reason, Lucia, I can actually see you writing this, on your knees and hands up in a folding position! Thanks for the laugh, but I've had it happen to me once. Then again, hearies never have to endure this " . . . switching operators, please hold . . . "

Do you really want the operator explode and piss her/his pants all over the room? You have to understand operators need to go restroom, no matter what happens. I'm sorry about your rant, but operators need some respect from deaf people.

:rofl2: Don't let Lucia answer this one . . .

Yeah. I remember a few years ago I was on a relay call with a HOH friend who's oral and doesn't use a TTY. During the call the relay operator (back then they ALWAYS typed EVERYTHING they heard in the background no matter what) caught what my friend's mother said to someone else about me in the background, and what she said about me was not very nice, and the relay operator typed it all. I and my friend spoke some more and then we ended the call. Later that day I went over to that same friend's house, and I told my friend that I "heard" what her mother said about me. At that point my friend exploded and said "what goes on in the background is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS because it is not your house!!!" and then she said that the relay operator was very wrong to type what was being said in the background. I was like, OMG, because I am deaf I don't get to "hear"/know what was being said in the background like a hearing person gets to hear? That's not fair. And I tried to explain to her that it is simply the relay operator's job to make the call go the same way as a hearing-to-hearing person call would go, to make it as much alike as is possibly possible, and that it is none of the relay operator's fault, that the operator is simply required to type EVERYTHING that they hear in the background, noises, what people say in the background, etc. I told her, "if you were calling a hearing person and someone is talking to someone else in the same room, you get to hear it. I should get to hear it, too, if I was the caller, even if I am deaf." I told her that just because I am deaf does not make it wrong to know what is being said in the background. But she wouldn't understand and wouldn't hear of it. :roll:

Lucia,

I use i711 all the time, tried a different one only once and didn't like it. Anyway, on i711, the operator's number comes up, then either an M or F, depending on them. There is also an option to print the dialogue, which I've never had to do. A good relay should tell you what's going on in the background, so, for your "friend" to say it was none of your business, I disagree . . . everything is fair game.

Goodbye

Sadly, I believe this will be my last post. I no longer feel it is beneficial to try and discuss relay procedure in a calm and civil manner. I am completely put off my the last few posts I have read, and I wonder how long it will take to have this post banned by the admins of alldeaf.com for reasons of: enticing members. Never mind the fact that this has gone on in a far more thinly-veiled manner by some other posters. It would appear that in a few short days this thread is no longer about a dialogue between relay operators and our clientele. I find this extremely sad.

I will make my last comments explaining why none of what I have read is indicative of reality or civility:

Apparently there is FAR more confusion about what it takes to make relay operate. Since this appears to no longer be a discussion about the intricacies of relay, etc. Beyond this post I feel no more need to try and explain as I don't believe it is truly being received.

I HATE THAT!

Hearing people don't get asked that. Why should we get asked that question? Keep on holding til we say to hang up. Geez.

Another HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE pet peeve of mine with relay calls is when I'm in the MIDDLE of speaking to someone and it is an extremely important call, the operator announces that she has to switch operators. DAMMIT, I'm in the MIDDLE of a VERY IMPORTANT CALL and you switch operators? Geez, that will confuse the hearing person I am speaking to, and, due to that, many hearing people have hung up on me for that! PLEASE, for the love of all that is good and holy, WAIT until I have completed the call, and then change operators. PLEASE! I do not care how long the phone call has been, DON'T DO IT UNTIL I HAVE COMPLETED THE CALL. If I have the ability to type for much longer periods of times than the period of time that has passed before you switch operators, then so can you. Geez! :mad:

The purpose of relay is not to make communication the exact same for deaf/HoH people as hearing people. It is to facilitate communication through a medium against its intended design. In other words: relay is there to make communication through a hearing device for those who do not hear. The experience is never going to be exactly the same, only as convenient as can be made reasonably possible.

To imply that this is the fault of a relay operator is not only wrong, it is completely and blindly ignorant. I would also observe that when the case of bitterness between relay operator (or hearing individuals) and caller comes up-- if not the entire deaf community-- this would undoubtedly be the cause. The assumption that all people should and do have a complete understanding of relay and the deaf culture when speaking during a phone call is absurd in the same way that every deaf person should know everything about how hearing people interact. THEY'RE THE SAME ARGUMENT. The only difference being that when I go to Spain, I had better speak Spanish to get anything done. How is that different from you making a phone call to a hearing person? Their culture will be different. The reason they hang up on you is NOT ALWAYS because they are racist assholes. SOMETIMES IT IS. Either way, its not because your relay operator had something to do with it. We don't even know these people. I have no idea why you call certain Chinese, or Thai, or (insert foreign food here) and expect THEM to speak perfect English either! Do you know everything about deaf people from New York? How about from California? It doesn't take much to make a HUGH difference in people, you need only go a few hundred miles. Does this really come as a surprise to you guys?

(In regards to being relay operators and waiting for you to finish) We are not dogs to be let out into the yard when it is timely for YOU. We are not slaves. Why would you assume it to be appropriate to essentially say that of us, especially since you are so quick to note that hearing people are never demanded to do certain things when placing a call, why should you? Simply because your call is currently engaged does not mean that everything we do it delegated to your whim. What you are asking is completely unreasonable. Hearing people do not make calls through a third party. Relay users do. Understand that and accept it or don't use relay.

If you do not agree that you are wrong, I implore you to be MY operator when I place a call for upwards of three hours and beyond and make YOU wait to relieve yourself in a dignified manner. I welcome that opportunity, all the while, let us not forget, for FREE.

Additionally, in regards to the sentiment about being in a very, very important call: A relay operators bodily functions, or anything else for that matter, trump the importance of your call. There is a plethora of reasons why this option is in place for relay operators and every one of them is valid. When an operator is relieved we do not hang up on your call, you receive another operator. If the person you are speaking with hangs up, I would point out that perhaps your call is not "Extremely important" as the person you are speaking with is willing to hang up that quickly; also, your problem is with the person hanging up on you. Bring your unfounded aggression to their doorstep and have it out. It is disturbing to me that someone from this community could be so biased in this manner and have no other peer in the deaf community correct their radical ignorance. I am looking at everyone else on this forum.

In a perfect world, yes, we can get rid of the small, confusing stuff in your calls, but that is never to be the case. Relay operators would also be able to point out curiosities when a deaf person asks, except that according to the system in place we are not allowed to. It appears to me as time goes on working this job that everyone who has a problem, has a problem with a relay operator or a company, and NOT the FCC. After all, its not as if they are the ones in charge of this entire operation, or did you collectively forget that at some point? We do not make judgment calls about the individual importance of one call over another. It is not our place, so we don't do it. We are trained to be indifferent to every call, and by this I mean we do not make judgments, omissions, or otherwise influence your call. To do this, we must treat them all the same regardless if you are telling someone how to diffuse a bomb or what the weather is like in your city. If you agree that all calls are treated the same, then understand that ALL CALLS WILL BE TREATED THE SAME. You cannot pick and choose when this philosophy will be enacted. Its all or nothing, your choice. Its irrelevant which one you choose: I am still right.

I will now explain why your arguments are self-defeating and I will do it very simply:

You assert that since you can type for along period of time I should be able to wait a long period of time for you to finish. How about alternatively, since I take frequent bathroom breaks, you should be able to wait every time I exchange operators.

Does that make sense? If so, then we have come to an understanding. If not: YOU ARE WRONG.

Moving on to your next post:

Perhaps what the relay operators should start doing is start going to the restroom EVERY CHANCE they have when the deaf person has completed the call and has hung up. Do it between calls. I don't get to go to the bathroom if I am in the middle of a phone call. I have to wait, too. Switching operators BETWEEN calls would greatly reduce the number of times I or other deaf people get hung up on by a hearing person just because the relay operators had to switch operators and it confuses the hearing person. I've been hung up on so many times just because of this.

I'll try and keep this from getting long winded:

1.) If we were to do as you suggest and go to the bathroom between your calls, can you imagine the uproar? This is conveniently forgetting that when you place a phone call you can end it whenever you wish for any reason you wish. As an operator, I am a captive audience. I cannot tell you in the middle of your conversation that you are stopping now because I felt like it. My only recourse is to get another operator to help me out so your call can continue. Might I also add that regardless of the seriousness of the situation that I MUST wait until another operator can relieve me? I should find you at your job and since I would be the customer in this experience I would get to dictate when and why YOU got to go to the bathroom and other such things. Surely you see how rude and insensitive, and also BIGOTED that is.

(In relation to your other posts) Whatever experience you've had with relay operators in the past is irrelevant. Your assertion is for ALL relay operators, including every single one that is NOT those people you dealt with who were bad at their jobs. Have I made this clear yet? You have generalized a group of people for no real reason, unless you count a one-time personal experience as a reason. If it is acceptable by that definition, then I have a few things to say to ALL DEAF PEOPLE, and ALL WHITE PEOPLE, and ALL (enter creed here). It doesn't make sense.

2.) It is one thing to make demands as a customer, but completely different to suggest that we should facilitate everything we do to get a message across to someone who isn't willing to hear it. I'll be more specific:

If the person you are talking to is easily confused, try -- oh I don't know... -- EXPLAINING THINGS TO THEM, OR FAILING THAT, NOT TALKING TO THEM. Its not up to me who you call, therefore not my fault the person you are talking to is stupid. Do not blame me or any other operator if the person you are speaking with is easily confused (re: Jackass).

Is it frustrating to be hung up on by someone over and over again? How about talked down to for no reason, perhaps having someone tell your supervisor that you should be fired for doing nothing wrong (And I mean that quite literally)? I wonder if we have those things in common.

3.) What you described I have never witnessed in my 1.5 years working as a relay operator. Man, it must happen so often. (re: people hanging up because of operator relief)

No, but I have had so many hearing people call me "sir" when in fact I am a female, when I have a male relay operator interpreting the call. I have explained to them repeatedly that I am a female, and that I am simply speaking to them through a male operator, and to PLEASE stop calling me "sir". They almost always continue to call me "sir" no matter how many times I remind them and ask them to stop doing that. Even when I have told them my name which is obviously and clearly a female name (it is in no way an unisex name at all). *sighs* I really despise being called "sir".

... And? So what, yes it happens because hearing people are not used to the relay process. Is it really so infuriating? I have had numerous people whom hear my voice as I speak to them call me "Ma'am". What is more important, getting accomplished what you called for in the first place or formalities?

:hug: Atta girl! You know, I've had operators write that the recipient laughs or chuckles after the explanation, which I think is rude by them (not relay). I want to know what they're doing on the other end of the phone, but, when I call a business and get laughed at, that business needs to know that my wallet or checkbook might be opened and, after reading a response like that, I just closed it and will tactfully end the call by any means possible. I won't abruptly hang up, but that business will find out they just lost my business.

(This is a response to a post I made. Note: I am a male)

The only reason I bring it to attention is to point out how frivolous your outrage is.

60 WPM? Really? I don't believe that. I have made many relay calls where the operator types REALLY slow, like around 20 WPM. I know, because I can and do type about 65 wpm and that is way much faster than what the operator usually types. It takes me less than 20 seconds to type out an entire sentence. They take about a minute to type out the whole sentence. I don't have time for that.

They go like this:

Hello.................... *name of company*.................my name............. is *name*................how may...............I help................you q ga

(every "................" is about 10 seconds)

I don't have the time for that. Is that really so difficult to type the whole damn thing within 30 seconds like I can?

Relay operators used to be so much faster than that in the past. Their wpm have really deteriorated so much in the last three years or so. :shock:

I'm not trying to be rude here, or being mean at all, but that is what I have noticed lately, and it does not help, because while the operator is typing out the whole sentence, the person on the other end that I am calling is waiting for *my* response. They end up hanging up because they haven't heard my response yet because by the time the operator has completed typing out the sentence, about a minute has passed. They are going to think that this is a prank call, and hang up. That does NOT help, especially if I am on an extremely important call, and I had been on hold for about 20 minutes, and when I finally get someone on the line, they end up hanging up because of this, and I have to call back AND wait ANOTHER 20 minutes before I can get someone on the line AGAIN. I can't do that over and over and over. It is REALLY frustrating. Really. And no, again, I am NOT being mean or rude. It's just the truth. I'm sorry, but I have to say it.

Actually, what you are in fact doing is exactly what you assert you are not. You are back-handedly accusing this other operator of not only lying, but of being amongst a group of poor dimwits whom cannot accomplish their job effectively. I would note that there are plenty of other avenues for deaf/HoH people to make phone calls and we continue to do business every -- single -- day, and growing rapidly.

Upon required yearly testing, I have increased my typing speed from the required 65 wpm to 76 wpm all the while having correct spelling and punctuation (something that is not common in the deaf/HoH realm for obvious reasons). It should also be noted that I was not given a chance after chance to accomplish this. I had one chance or no more job. Additionally, this was after coming in on a particularly cold day and immediately being subjected to said test. My fingers were not room temperature and not fully functional. I was not given any special treatment or consideration. This is something EVERYONE does who works here. I do my job, and every other CA here, better than what is required by the institution that makes this service possible requires. In your post, there was no asterisk, no parenthesis, no note to discern that most of what causes those pauses is the rate at which the person you are talking to speaks. We cannot tell them to speed up, we can only ask that they slow down so as to make sure you get the intended message. If we indicated every time we had to ask someone to slow down, I assure you your calls would take MUCH, MUCH longer than what you are complaining about now. Would you prefer that people constantly speak too fast for us to keep up and you continually get a message reading "(speaking too fast, couldn't keep up)" instead? Please let my superior's know, I would prefer doing this as opposed to my actual job. Also, I defy you to hear what a person who speaks typically between 70 wpm - 130 wpm conversationally (i.e.: Without conscious thought or consideration) and typing that out to someone else all the while making sure your spelling is decipherable. Until you do this, do not imply that you have even a rudimentary idea of what its like working this job. We are here doing this, by definition, because you cannot. By the way, you are welcome.

If you have a problem with the way the system works, which is to say all fault is due to the system and NOT us, then take it up with the FCC. Tell them that in order to save you time, you elect me to use my common sense to make a call go smoother. This would include omitting certain syntax s, background noises, and a laundry list of other things that we can only assume don't matter to the call you are making. I would love you to leave that up to my judgment.

I can also relate this little bit. I have personally done things that are discouraged where I work because they do not fall in line with my job description. I have put myself at disciplinary risk, and I've done it a few times. I did it because I was asked to by someone I could tell needed help, despite the fact that I didn't have to. I did it because it felt like the right thing to do. Do not bother asking what it was, I am not at liberty to say. I don't tell you this because I want your sympathy, I don't want your praise. I'm making a point. We do things FOR YOU that we DON'T HAVE TO.

I am profoundly amazed that this attitude and sense of entitlement still exists within the deaf and hard of hearing community. Admittedly this post has been focused upon one individual, but I have read other threads and that, even loosely, confirms this suspicion (Without even mentioning my job experience dealing with deaf/HoH day in and day out for over a year). I would urge all of you in the deaf and hard of hearing community to realize just what sort of impact this attitude does to relations with other people, namely hearing individuals. There have been a few of you whom I would consider intelligent who have spoken otherwise in regards to this thread. I can see that there are some differences of opinions, and there will always be someone who feels different. That goes without saying typically, but for the purposes of this rant its made obvious that I understand this. My point is if you want to see relations between you, hearing people, businesses you call, and everything else change you need look no further than garbage such as these posts I have mentioned. They are the bane of your image to others.

The thing that never seems to get accomplished is a dialogue between hearing and deaf people about how we can fix the problems that relay already has. Its not a real conversation, its just complaints. The purpose of this was to hopefully shed some light on why things happen the way they happen for IP relay. It appears its more beneficial to some people to complain and put down the service than to work with its members to improve it. By this I mean, it is up to YOU guys to change the way these things work. I don't use relay, and I don't have a collective of peers to put pressure on the FCC to change things to help me. This is all about you guys. Where was the mystery?

To those whom have listened, I thank you for helping me learn a few things myself, and you are welcome to have learned things from me. I don't post on here to make myself feel better, its done for your benefit, its also most of the reason I work at relay. I get paid, but I can get paid as much or better in other places too, and I only mention it to drive home my point. These things are done for you, and the only thing asked in return is that you all do yourselves a favor and learn from this. I don't gain anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry to see that you feel you have to leave. I was enjoying seeing things from your point of view. However, I do understand why you feel this isn't working cause of few that does not appreicate what they do have today that wasn't there few years ago. They are acting like a baby when talking like that. That's why I've made a comment of two in this post. If you do leave, I appreicate you taking the time to tell us how things are from your POV and it is good to know more of the story. I for one do appreicate the hard work you and your co-workers put into to letting us communicate with the world however imperfect it is.

I have made few jokes too, I only intended to make jokes to try to lighten things up. If that offended you, it wasn't intended to offend you.

I'm sorry to see him go, too but I can see why. A certain poster who never said one syllable of a good thing about Relay; all comments were very negative, so much to the point that I began to wonder if half the stuff written is true. Well, there goes another positive opportunity and wouldn't you know it, a deafie had to ruin it.

I'm sorry to see her go, too but I can see why. A certain poster who never said one syllable of a good thing about Relay; all comments were very negative, so much to the point that I began to wonder if half the stuff written is true. Well, there goes another positive opportunity and wouldn't you know it, a deafie had to ruin it.

Oh well, what's new?

Seems like some people dont appriecate what we do have today. I remember a time that we didn't even have this service and I for one do appreicate it being available and I hope and do think that most are appreicative of what we do have.

Thanks a lot Lucia, You should have been more polite instead of starting off by being rude and negative. :roll:

I'm sorry, Bend My Ear I really am. :(

Thanks a lot Lucia, You should have been more polite instead of starting off by being rude and negative. :roll:

I'm sorry, Bend My Ear I really am. :(

It wasn't just her. There was another involved too.

Bend My Ear, I am unable to include your responses to my previous posts due to character limit (limit is 20000 characters, and I was at 34685 characters, so I have to exclude your responses in post #85 in order to be able to get my post to go through. So, refer to your post #85 for all of what I have written in this post.

When I was 12 years old, I learned about the relay system for the very first time. This was at my state school for the Deaf. The relay company came to our school and explained to us how relay works, how they do it, and how they make our calls work similar as much as possible, to treat the calls as if we were hearing, etc. They told us that it was the purpose of their relay system. That is what I learned. I am simply going by what I have learned. I did not know it has changed. I apologize.

I have NOT implied that they are racist assholes, nor have I said anything about racism.

I am sorry if I sound like an "entitlement bitch", but I am just simply very very very frustrated with how most of my relay calls goes. I get very upset if I get hung up on by a hearing person in the middle of a very important call (and, YES, it is often an important call. If it's not an important call, I use VP. If it's important, I use IP Relay). I get frustrated with this because usually it's because I have had been on hold for over 20 minutes, and then I finally get a live person on the line. And it's a call that is actually very important, an example would be a phone call to Medical Transportation Program to arrange a ride to a very important medical appointment (I have many health problems), and such calls as this, I am often on hold for over 20 minutes, many times up to an hour. Then if the relay operator has to switch operators while I am in the middle of this very important call, many times, the hearing person on the other end gets confused and does not understand, and ends up hanging up on me. That gets me very upset, because then I have to call back, be put on hold for ANOTHER 20 minutes to even an hour, and then finally get another live person on the line, to finally arrange a ride. This particular place I call, I don't always get through. Half the time, they just ring and ring and ring and ring, and then they disconnect. So, if I get hung up, I get very upset because I worry that I may not be lucky to get through again. Sometimes I don't even get through at all. Then, I don't even get a ride to my medical appointment, I have to cancel and reschedule my appointment and have to wait another two months to see the doctors because they are booked up to two months in advance, such as my neurologist. I can't see my neurologist until February. I am not trying to be mean to you or other relay operators, but I am very frustrated with how things goes. I really really really despise being hung up on such important calls as this one. It's not simple. I can't just simply redial, wait only 5 minutes on hold, and then get a live person on the line, and arrange a ride right away. I call, get a long recording, and then I have to press certain numbers for such as #1 for Spanish, #2 for English, and then I get another long recording, and then I have to press #1 if I want to speak to a supervisor, and #2 if I want to arrange a ride. Then I get another long recording again, and then I have to press #1 for Medicaid patients 21 and under, #2 for patients over 21 years old. Then I get put on hold for 20 minutes or longer, even up to an hour. Then I finally get a live person, and I have to give her/him my Medicaid ID number, and then I have to tell him/her my full name, my address, and if I use a wheelchair, walker, or cane or not (this information is important so that they know which driver and which vehicle to use for me (they use either a car, a van, or a bus, and not all of them are ADA accessible/compliant). Then I have to tell her/him my doctor's name, phone number, and address of the doctor's office, and I have to tell her/him the date and time of the appointment. Then I have to make her/her verify MY address and the doctor's address (they have made many mistakes in the past and have come to the wrong address and therefore I miss my doctor's appt or they take me to the wrong place!) and then she/he has to give me the confirmation number. Then when I am done arranging all my rides that I have for the whole month (I can only arrange rides up to a month in advance, their policy, not mine). It's not very simple and easy as I wish it was. It's not. It's extremely frustrating. I could use VP, but the reason I use IP Relay is because of all the information that I have to fingerspell (names, addresses, etc). On VP, I am repeatedly asked to repeat what I just said when I fingerspell, even if I do slowly, and I do not have the best ASL skills. For calls such as this, I like to use IP Relay so I can use straight English for all this.

Bend My Ear, I am sorry if you feel that I have been rude/mean to you. I truly am sorry. I am just talking about all the problems that I have experienced with relay calls. I am not doing this to treat you or other operators like shit. I just want to mention and talk about my problems that I have experienced with relay calls, that is all. I know that from your POV, it sounded cruel, rude, and mean. I am sorry. I thought I had the right to talk about all the problems that I have experienced with relay calls? I guess not. I truly want to find ways to improve my relay call experiences so that I can use it for my important calls. That's all. I do not want you to leave. I do like you. You are a good person. I know I come across as mean, and I am sorry. I just have been very frustrated that such calls as what I have just talked about goes. It truly is very frustrating.

I am not trying to treat you like a dog. It's just very frustrating that when the relay operators switch operators, and I get hung up cause the hearing person on the other end gets confused and hangs up, and then I have to call back, and it's not always a simple process. A lot of times it's complicated, like the particular call I just mentioned. I am not doing it to be mean. I just really would appreciate it if the operators does not do that when I am on the phone with a hearing person on the other end. If you need/want to switch operators while I am on hold, that is fine. But when I am actually SPEAKING to the hearing person on the other end, I don't want that hearing person to get confused and hang up on me because you switch operators. I am not saying it's your fault. It is NOT your fault. It's just that the hearing person is not familiar with how relay works, and many times when I call that particular place I have just mentioned, I get a hearing person that has NEVER has ever had a relay call ever in his/her whole life, and it is his/her very first time. It's very frustrating to get hung up when this is a very important call and I have been on hold for ridiculous lengths of times. Again, no, I do not think it is your fault, nor your relay company's fault, or any other operator's fault. It's just that switching operators in the middle of me actually speaking to the hearing person on the other end does not work out very well at all. If you or another relay operator could wait til I have finished speaking to that particular person I am speaking to, and then go ahead and switch operators before I ask to make another call to another hearing person, I would totally, completely, and gratefully appreciate it so much. Seriously, I would. Really. I am not doing this to treat you or other relay operators as slaves. I just really would like for the call to go well, and not to be hung up on due to confusion. It is NO ONE'S fault, but it just doesn't work out very well, that's all. I'm sorry if this sounds mean, but it's true.

I truly wish I didn't have to use the relay system at all, but I have no choice. I have to, for those kinds of calls, because it just does not work out very well on VP. I have tried before and it is hard. This is one of the things I hate about being Deaf. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate being Deaf, it's just that this is one of the few things I experience due to being Deaf, and it's what I really hate. Most of the time, I do enjoy being Deaf, I love the Deaf culture and everything. But I have to admit, it does get very frustrating at times.

Bend My Ear, I understand what it is like to have to go to the bathroom while on the phone. I have frequent kidney infections, and in order to avoid them, I have to go to the bathroom immediately if I can. But on these kind of calls that I just mentioned, I can't. I have to wait, too. I don't like it, either. If I go to the bathroom in the middle of such a call, I lose the call. That particular call I just mentioned, it can often take up to about two hours. Really. I'm not kidding.

It IS often EXTREMELY IMPORTANT, such as the kind of phone call I have just mentioned in this post. It's not that the hearing person on the other end thinks it's not important. It's that the hearing person often got confused since he or she has never ever had a relay call ever in his/her whole life. THAT is the problem.

And yes, I have spoken to their supervisors about this so many times, but I still experience this. It really does suck. And again, no, it is no one's fault. It's just that this is a problem that really does need to be solved.

I have never said that you are the ones who make the judgement calls about the importance of one call over an other. I never said such a thing.

I would like to and I would NOT mind waiting when you exchange operators, it's just that when you exchange operators, many times it does not work out very well and the hearing person on the other end often gets confused, goes "WTF" and then hangs up on me. If I didn't get hung up on so many times when you or another relay operator switch operators, then this wouldn't be so frustrating and it wouldn't be such a problem for me. Honestly, if the hearing person wouldn't get confused and hang up on me so many times, I wouldn't have an issue with you switching operators. I would happily say "go ahead" and wait patiently while I wait for the new operator. I just really wish the hearing person wouldn't get confused and hang up on me. I am sorry I came across as mean before. I apologize.

Many important calls as I have just mentioned in this post, I can't just simply hang up and then call back. It's not that simple for me. Really, I wish it was that simple, but it's not. :(

I can't even work, due to my health problems including my VERY frequent bathroom use.

Again, I apologize for coming across as rude and insensitive.

I am NOT generalizing any group of people. What I am saying is that I have so many similar experiences with so many relay operators on so many similar relay calls, not just one operator, and not just one relay call.

And, I have NEVER said anything regarding racism, or race, or anything, about any relay operators. Nor have I accused you of being racist or any such thing. Plus, I am NOT white. I am Cherokee.

I have explained those kinds of things to the hearing person on the other end so many times. MANY TIMES. And, no, I do not think it is your fault. I am just simply talking about those frustrating times, that is all. Is that not my right? Do I not have the right to talk about this, about how frustrating it is when those things happen, to discuss this, to find out how to improve how my relay calls goes, etc? I am sorry and I apologize again, and again, for coming across as a jackass. Sorry.

Yes. It really is very frustrating to be hung up on someone over and over again, especially on a very important call as the kind I have just mentioned in this post.

I have never talked down to a relay operator. Ever. Except for that one relay operator who called me stupid, and for that operator, I do have the right to complain to the supervisor about that relay operator. It is wrong to call a Deaf person, especially the whole Deaf community, stupid. Are you saying that she was right to call me stupid because I asked her to please (and I asked very nicely and very politely) redial a couple more times? I thought I was allowed to ask a relay operator to please redial? Have you read what I said about my HOH friend who can and can not hear the phone ring depending on where she is in the house? She often walks around the house frequently, and more than half the time she passes an area where she can hear the phone ring. She actually has asked me to redial at least two more times before I hang up and try again in another half an hour. I respect her wishes. Is that really so unreasonable?

I have NEVER asked or told any relay supervisor to fire the relay operator for no reason. I didn't even talk to the supervisor of the operator who called me and the entire Deaf community stupid. I did ask to speak to the supervisor, and then the operator profusely apologized, so I did end up not even speaking to the supervisor at all in that particular call.

It sounds like you work for a really good relay company. I would love to know the name and the phone number of your relay company, so I can use your company for all of my relay calls. If you can't say in your post here on the forum, you can PM me. If you can't even tell me in PM, that is okay, I respect and accept that.

Yes. It is really infuriating especially in this kind of call I mentioned in this post. And, I've been called "sir" so many times. I have asked the hearing person on the other end VERY NICELY to PLEASE stop calling me "sir" and I have EXPLAINED to him/her that I am actually a female and that I am talking to him/her using a male relay operator as an interpreter. If being called "sir" over and over and over again even after being asked SEVERAL times to please stop calling me "sir" didn't happen so often, I wouldn't be bothered at all. I don't mind the occasional mistake. But if I've already explained to him or her, and he or she keeps it up after being asked up to even five times PLEASE not to do that, I am going to get annoyed and frustrated.

Uh. I have not accused any relay operator of lying. Which post in which did I accuse the relay operator of lying? Please show it to me. I also have not said any such things as calling them dimwits or stupid or any such names. I do not think relay operators are stupid at all.

There is only ONE other avenue for me (I am completely Deaf) to make a phone call, and that is the VP. I can only use the VP for casual calls such as talking to friends or family. But when I have an important call in which I have to give out names, addresses, phone numbers, and any other information that do not have signs for them (yes, I do have a name sign for my name, but the VRS interpreter is not going to know my name since he/she does not know me and has NEVER met me before. I can't expect him/her to know my name sign automatically. And I have been often asked to fingerspell such things repeatedly (My ASL skills are NOT the best).

That's awesome that you do type this fast. Really, it is so awesome.

Does the hearing people often speak so slowly on the phone, as slowly as I have said that the relay operators often type that slowly? Really? I really wish I could HEAR the hearing person speak, and find out. I do have a cochlear implant, but I only got it two years ago, and therefore, I can only understand environmental sounds and listen to music (which I do not even understand the lyrics to). Seriously. I have seen hearing people pick up the phone to talk to a friend or a family member or whatever, and it doesn't take so long, I have seen them call a friend to make an arrangement to meet for lunch, and it only takes 3 minutes. I am not saying that you are lying. It's just that this is what I have SEEN. I only know what I have seen and experienced, that's all. I am not accusing you of anything.

I never said that I know what it is like to be a relay operator, because I truly don't, to be honest. I would love to learn. Really.

And, even though you think I am an "entitlement bitch" (no, I am not saying that you said that, but you probably think that, and no, I am not even accusing you of thinking that, but, I said "probably"), I really am 100% grateful for all the relay operators in this entire country who does this job. Really. Without any of you, I would be depending on a hearing friend or family member to make all my phone calls that are to a hearing person for me, and I TOTALLY hate having to depend on any friend or family member for anything. I like to be as independent as possible, and you and all the other hearing operators have made that possible. I am so very grateful and thankful for that, even if I do not sound like that. I know that I often come across as an asshole, a bitch, whatever, but that is just how I speak and write. It doesn't mean I hate you or I am not grateful or I don't care or whatever.

I am really totally grateful for operators like you who do those things for us. And no, I would not and I will not ask you to tell me what it was, because I respect that you are not at liberty to say, and I do not want you to lose your job because of me. And, I do want to say, THANK YOU, to you and ALL the other relay operators.

Again, I am sorry I come across as an "entitlement bitch". Sometimes, I have to be, in order for things I need to happen, to happen. Most of the time, I am EXTREMELY nice and polite, to both the relay operators and the hearing persons on the other end of the phone line. But, there are times that I have to change my attitude and be a bitch to make things go the way they need to go, or otherwise they don't happen at all. I don't like doing this at all, so I try not to do that as much as possible. But sometimes, I do NOT have a choice. I wish I didn't have to, but I have to sometimes. I am sorry.

We have the right to complain, just like you hearing people have the right to complain. EVERYONE has a right to complain, even you have the right to complain about me. If I don't complain, nothing gets done, nothing gets fixed. That is the whole purpose of complaining. It's not just whining. It's telling someone that this needs to be taken care of, to be fixed, or to happen. I am not putting down the service that you work for. I am complaining about how the relay system in general works, how well it works, how awful it works, etc. If I say nothing, nothing gets fixed or taken care of or whatever. It is necessary to complain at times.

I, too, thank you, AND welcome you, for coming on AllDeaf and talking about your job and the relay system and how it works. I appreciate it. Really. Even if it doesn't sound like I appreciate it. And, I would love to learn everything there is about the entire relay system.

With all that said, I would like for you to stay and continue posting on AllDeaf. I enjoy your posts, and all your posts are beneficial to all of us. I do not want you to leave, even if I sound like I hate you or I want you to leave or anything like that. I do not want you to leave just because of me. If you do not like anything I say, you are more than welcome to put me on ignore. We do have that feature here on AllDeaf. Please don't go. I do not hate you at all. I just don't like how many of my relay calls have worked out for many reasons such as misunderstanding, confusion, frustration, etc. I am sorry if you feel that I am taking it all on YOU. It may sound like it, but I am not taking it out on you. I am just frustrated, and I just wanted to tell you and the other relay operators here on AllDeaf the problems that I have experienced with the relay system and the relay calls.

Thank you so much for doing your job.

Take care and have a good night and I hope you sleep well. :)

:giggle: For some strange reason, Lucia, I can actually see you writing this, on your knees and hands up in a folding position! Thanks for the laugh, but I've had it happen to me once. Then again, hearies never have to endure this " . . . switching operators, please hold . . . "

LOL! Glad to make you laugh! :)

Seriously? Bend My Ear had to leave because she/he didn't like some of the posts here? How about if she/he gets on the other end of the Relay and experience the frustrations that can happen with any Relay call? I use the Relay quite a lot, and while most calls go through without any problem, I have encountered many frustrating situations with the Relay just as Lucia described - I could have written her posts. And, I am sure most of us deaf people reading this thread have encountered frustrating situations as well. Sorry, Tousi, I guess I'm another deafie ruining this thread. :roll:

Wow this thread went straight to hell in a handbasket! I think Lucia had a right to vent her frustrations to a point - that is until she start grouping all relay operators in the same stereotype. I understand however that Lucia is often very caught up in the emotions and vented more than she should have. Its an oops never should have said that moment. We have those - I have those. (I recall yesterday I said to a line boss to build a f*cking net to catch the chicken. The context was that the chicken was extremely greasy and it kept slipping out of my hands; and going into the floor the line boss and myself were both frustrated and I ended up shouting an obscenity at her.) oops. We kissed and made up and we're both find now.

I also believe that Bended Ears doesn't realize that it's not always the fault of the caller. Yes there are few bad callers that use relay and depending on the relay center, some operators are able to tell which caller is which by how they conduct themselves during the call. But at the same time there are times when the situation can get extremely awkward and the hearing party drops the call out of confusion.

Im still a new user to relay, using it only twice as I can no longer have a meaningful conversation over the phone. The first time I used relay, I was calling to ATU to see about getting my schedule worked out. The call was refused by the secretary of the English Ed Dept.

The other time I used relay was when i needed to confirm an order with american eagle outfitters, it went through rather well considering it was my 2nd relay call. Of course it was not perfect, but I suspect that the more I use relay the more comfortable I will become with it.

I'm saddened that this interesting thread deteriorated into a dispute, perhaps we may never get an opportunity quite like this where a relay opr joins our community to give us a chance to ask questions in an informal setting and we get to learn something new that could have benefited both parties by the sharing of information.

Wow this thread went straight to hell in a handbasket! I think Lucia had a right to vent her frustrations to a point - that is until she start grouping all relay operators in the same stereotype.

Hold up. I am not (and never was) grouping all the relay operators in the same stereotype. I am and was just simply talking about how, many (note: NOT ALL!) of my relay calls have gone on. Don't twist my words.

And, have you read post #91?

Seriously? Bend My Ear had to leave because she/he didn't like some of the posts here? How about if she/he gets on the other end of the Relay and experience the frustrations that can happen with any Relay call? I use the Relay quite a lot, and while most calls go through without any problem, I have encountered many frustrating situations with the Relay just as Lucia described - I could have written her posts. And, I am sure most of us deaf people reading this thread have encountered frustrating situations as well. Sorry, Tousi, I guess I'm another deafie ruining this thread. :roll:

Thank you, AlleyCat.

Why do relay operators complain on here about their jobs? If they aren't happy with them, GET A NEW JOB! I have to clean toilets and floors every single day. Do you see me coming here to vent about it?

I just find it comical to see some relay operators complain. It reminds me of why I rarely use relay services.

People will complain no matter what, even if they made a million a year, not counting benefits, that the money isn't enough or whatever. :roll:

This isn't the time or society to tell our bosses how much they remind us of a diaper.

Ok, I had some time to sit down and read these posts, and here is my response to you, Lucia:

I understand that you have had some upsetting experiences with relay, but just as you would expect our common courteousy while handling your call, we expect your courteousy as a caller. This is called tact. Things flow smoothly when people are tactful towards one another.
As a solution to your problem with relief/hanging up, as it seems this is something that routinely happens to you, I will offer you two suggestions:

1.) Make an effort to avoid this situation from recurring. For instance, you could easily say something to the hearing party as soon as they come on the line, such as "Hello, this is relay, I am a female, I know it is a little weird having a male operator, if they say they are doing "relief" please do not hang up the person who is speaking/typing for me is changing, but they will be right back on the line". It's simple. We can only do so much to communicate and explain to the person. If you are having problems with the service, MAKE THE EXTRA EFFORT TO FACILIATE COMMUNICATION. It's just like if I have a hard time hearing someone, I will say to them, "I'm sorry, I am having trouble hearing you, can you please speak up" Rather than just NOT be able to hear the person time after time.

2.) Change Relay services. Not each service is equal, and there are many, many services out there. Some operators are more closely monitored, etc. I can gurantee you that there is a good liklihood that any operator who spoke to you in such a manner as described in the "redialing" story would be fired immediately from my service. So, please, if you find that nothing can help, explore new services. Just Google search you will find plenty of alternatives!

Why do relay operators complain on here about their jobs? If they aren't happy with them, GET A NEW JOB! I have to clean toilets and floors every single day. Do you see me coming here to vent about it?

I just find it comical to see some relay operators complain. It reminds me of why I rarely use relay services.

I think you guys are missing the point. Yes, we are relay operators, and yes, we are employed to help you. We are paid, and we should do our job. But, we are STILL PEOPLE. We are still providing a service, and when we make an effort to branch out to your community, and help both of us get along better, only to be greeted with, NOT QUESTIONS, but ridicule and disapproval for our job performance, it can be wearing. This would be no different than any person disrespecting you as a person, while you are doing a job that benefits them. For instance, if you're cleaning up a bathroom and someone is standing there watching you clean, while making a mess, you will be unhappy with that person. That is disrespectful. Personally, I'm not overly offended, because I know that, personally, I do nothing but facilite the calls of my customers. I know that these gripes are not directed toward me personally, but I do understand how they can be aggravating for an operator to read. Further, that was not the purpose of this thread. If you would like to make a thread where you post your most disrespectful relay operator's actions, please do so. This thread is for questions, it is for us to communicate as two distinct cultures that work together every day.

This being said, please, continue to post any questions that you have. I am willing to put this debate aside in light of more beneficial conversation. Thanks to everyone who has had questions already, I hope you guys can better understand our culture, and if you have any specific suggestions for us, as operators, I will take them, just please be mindful of how you direct/phrase them.

i have a question. there have been a few times where i've had to retype the reason for my call after being redirected to several additional hearing people to handle my call. is it permissible for me to tell the ca to read what i've typed by telling them, "please re-read the statement that begins with..." or should i simply retype the purpose of my call? just wondering what the polite protocol would be?

Back