Ask a Relay Opr!

Keep in mind that it's not like we get relief because we are tired of typing, it's usually because we have to use the restroom!! :lol:

Why not wear those astronauts diapers? :giggle::giggle:

I HATE THAT!

Hearing people don't get asked that. Why should we get asked that question? Keep on holding til we say to hang up. Geez.

Another HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE HUGE pet peeve of mine with relay calls is when I'm in the MIDDLE of speaking to someone and it is an extremely important call, the operator announces that she has to switch operators. DAMMIT, I'm in the MIDDLE of a VERY IMPORTANT CALL and you switch operators? Geez, that will confuse the hearing person I am speaking to, and, due to that, many hearing people have hung up on me for that! PLEASE, for the love of all that is good and holy, WAIT until I have completed the call, and then change operators. PLEASE! I do not care how long the phone call has been, DON'T DO IT UNTIL I HAVE COMPLETED THE CALL. If I have the ability to type for much longer periods of times than the period of time that has passed before you switch operators, then so can you. Geez! :mad:

Do you really want the operator explode and piss her/his pants all over the room? You have to understand operators need to go restroom, no matter what happens. I'm sorry about your rant, but operators need some respect from deaf people.

Do you really want the operator explode and piss her/his pants all over the room? You have to understand operators need to go restroom, no matter what happens. I'm sorry about your rant, but operators need some respect from deaf people.

:werd:

Perhaps what the relay operators should start doing is start going to the restroom EVERY CHANCE they have when the deaf person has completed the call and has hung up. Do it between calls. I don't get to go to the bathroom if I am in the middle of a phone call. I have to wait, too. Switching operators BETWEEN calls would greatly reduce the number of times I or other deaf people get hung up on by a hearing person just because the relay operators had to switch operators and it confuses the hearing person. I've been hung up on so many times just because of this.

has any hearing person joked with you during a relay call about being the opposite sex of the caller? for example, you're a male ca and the deaf/hoh/deafblind person is female. i've had alot of hearing people tell me how strange it is to communicate with a male ca when i'm female. they *know* i'm female, but the voice they're hearing is male. :giggle: by the way, i know vco is an option, but when you use braille equipment to make relay calls, it's much easier to read the braille display and respond accordingly instead of reading the braille display and trying to balance the phone on my shoulder (especially since i am a two-handed braille reader).

No, but I have had so many hearing people call me "sir" when in fact I am a female, when I have a male relay operator interpreting the call. I have explained to them repeatedly that I am a female, and that I am simply speaking to them through a male operator, and to PLEASE stop calling me "sir". They almost always continue to call me "sir" no matter how many times I remind them and ask them to stop doing that. Even when I have told them my name which is obviously and clearly a female name (it is in no way an unisex name at all). *sighs* I really despise being called "sir".

One time I was calling my friend, and my friend is hard of hearing and also oral, so she does not use a TTY at all, and she can hear well enough to speak on the phone, but she is still hard of hearing, so depending on where she is in her house, she can hear the phone ring. If she's upstairs, she's not going to hear the phone ring. But she will hear the phone ringing if she's downstairs where the phone is. But there are often times when she will be walking around the house somewhere when I call her, and because of that, if she doesn't answer the phone the first time, I like to try two more times before I hang up and wait for another time. Oftentimes she will answer the phone on the 2nd or the 3rd try. It's not like I make the relay operator redial 30 times. One particular time, I called that friend via relay, she didn't answer on the first try. I asked the relay operator to please redial. When I asked her to redial, she immediately said "That's the problem with you deaf people. You are all so stupid. If the person doesn't answer the phone, that means they are not home!!! Duh!!!" and that was after the FIRST try. She refused to redial. I was so shocked and taken aback. I got really mad at her and told her off, told her "Excuse me?! Just because my friend did not answer the phone on the first dial does not always mean she is not home. She is usually just simply not in the area of the house where she cannot hear the phone, and I am simply asking you to redial in hopes that she could be walking around the house and passing an area where she can hear the phone and answer it, and it has often worked for me. And you should know better than to call deaf people stupid!" and then I demanded to speak to the supervisor and that's when the relay operator quickly clammed up and profusely apologized to me (I bet she was so afraid of getting fired for calling us stupid). I was so disgusted with this relay operator that I just hung up. I wonder if I should have held on for a supervisor instead and told the supervisor what she did.

Another time, I was on a phone call with another friend, who is hearing, and due to some brain damage due to a disease where his skull bone grows into his brain tissue (he's had three operations already to remove the growth but it continues to grow and he's just gonna have to have surgeries on that from time to time), sounds like he is mentally retarded, but is really not. It's just the way his voice sounded, but he is extremely smart, and a really great friend and fun to hang out with. He's even gone to university, and he is currently studying aboard in France right now. I was speaking to him and the operator was muttering all kinds of really really really rude things while I was speaking to my friend, like "retard", "stupid" and other really derogatory things that you wouldn't dare call a developmentally disabled person, and my friend heard everything. I was not aware of it during the call. My friend did not like that, and was not sure of what to do (I think it was his first relay call), so we ended the call, and then later on he called me back via relay with a different operator, and told me everything the first operator said, and I was really mad. Unfortunately, I was not aware of it during the first call and he did not know to catch the first relay operator's CA number, we could not report her.

Perhaps what the relay operators should start doing is start going to the restroom EVERY CHANCE they have when the deaf person has completed the call and has hung up. Do it between calls. I don't get to go to the bathroom if I am in the middle of a phone call. I have to wait, too. Switching operators BETWEEN calls would greatly reduce the number of times I or other deaf people get hung up on by a hearing person just because the relay operators had to switch operators and it confuses the hearing person. I've been hung up on so many times just because of this.

That might be hard sometimes. Sometimes anyone can have the need of a restroom unexpectly. Can't always prepare of going to the restroom between calls. It is all about the timing, you know? Wait until you get older, you will understand. The older you get, the more frequent irinations.

One time I was calling my friend, and my friend is hard of hearing and also oral, so she does not use a TTY at all, and she can hear well enough to speak on the phone, but she is still hard of hearing, so depending on where she is in her house, she can hear the phone ring. If she's upstairs, she's not going to hear the phone ring. But she will hear the phone ringing if she's downstairs where the phone is. But there are often times when she will be walking around the house somewhere when I call her, and because of that, if she doesn't answer the phone the first time, I like to try two more times before I hang up and wait for another time. Oftentimes she will answer the phone on the 2nd or the 3rd try. It's not like I make the relay operator redial 30 times. One particular time, I called that friend via relay, she didn't answer on the first try. I asked the relay operator to please redial. When I asked her to redial, she immediately said "That's the problem with you deaf people. You are all so stupid. If the person doesn't answer the phone, that means they are not home!!! Duh!!!" and that was after the FIRST try. She refused to redial. I was so shocked and taken aback. I got really mad at her and told her off, told her "Excuse me?! Just because my friend did not answer the phone on the first dial does not always mean she is not home. She is usually just simply not in the area of the house where she cannot hear the phone, and I am simply asking you to redial in hopes that she could be walking around the house and passing an area where she can hear the phone and answer it, and it has often worked for me. And you should know better than to call deaf people stupid!" and then I demanded to speak to the supervisor and that's when the relay operator quickly clammed up and profusely apologized to me (I bet she was so afraid of getting fired for calling us stupid). I was so disgusted with this relay operator that I just hung up. I wonder if I should have held on for a supervisor instead and told the supervisor what she did.

Another time, I was on a phone call with another friend, who is hearing, and due to some brain damage due to a disease where his skull bone grows into his brain tissue (he's had three operations already to remove the growth but it continues to grow and he's just gonna have to have surgeries on that from time to time), sounds like he is mentally retarded, but is really not. It's just the way his voice sounded, but he is extremely smart, and a really great friend and fun to hang out with. He's even gone to university, and he is currently studying aboard in France right now. I was speaking to him and the operator was muttering all kinds of really really really rude things while I was speaking to my friend, like "retard", "stupid" and other really derogatory things that you wouldn't dare call a developmentally disabled person, and my friend heard everything. I was not aware of it during the call. My friend did not like that, and was not sure of what to do (I think it was his first relay call), so we ended the call, and then later on he called me back via relay with a different operator, and told me everything the first operator said, and I was really mad. Unfortunately, I was not aware of it during the first call and he did not know to catch the first relay operator's CA number, we could not report her.

oh wow, lucia. i can't believe both of those ca's treated you that way! if those ca's would have handled my calls, i would have completely gone off on them. (however, i realize that you weren't aware of what happened with your friend otherwise i'm sure you would have said something.) what nerve! :mad2:

lucia,

i wonder if your friend (or you) could have contacted relay's customer service number and found out what ca handled your call by telling them the date and time the call was made?

If we can understand what they're saying and we're not typing over you, then yes, we'll type it. The basic philosophy is..

if I can hear it, YOU get to read it. Why should the hearing person be able to say whatever they want without you knowing about it? It's your phone call, you deserve to know what's going on during it. Plus, some times you catch the hearing people saying some pretty ridiculous things :D

Yeah. I remember a few years ago I was on a relay call with a HOH friend who's oral and doesn't use a TTY. During the call the relay operator (back then they ALWAYS typed EVERYTHING they heard in the background no matter what) caught what my friend's mother said to someone else about me in the background, and what she said about me was not very nice, and the relay operator typed it all. I and my friend spoke some more and then we ended the call. Later that day I went over to that same friend's house, and I told my friend that I "heard" what her mother said about me. At that point my friend exploded and said "what goes on in the background is NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS because it is not your house!!!" and then she said that the relay operator was very wrong to type what was being said in the background. I was like, OMG, because I am deaf I don't get to "hear"/know what was being said in the background like a hearing person gets to hear? That's not fair. And I tried to explain to her that it is simply the relay operator's job to make the call go the same way as a hearing-to-hearing person call would go, to make it as much alike as is possibly possible, and that it is none of the relay operator's fault, that the operator is simply required to type EVERYTHING that they hear in the background, noises, what people say in the background, etc. I told her, "if you were calling a hearing person and someone is talking to someone else in the same room, you get to hear it. I should get to hear it, too, if I was the caller, even if I am deaf." I told her that just because I am deaf does not make it wrong to know what is being said in the background. But she wouldn't understand and wouldn't hear of it. :roll:

lucia,

i wonder if your friend (or you) could have contacted relay's customer service number and found out what ca handled your call by telling them the date and time the call was made?

I don't know. It happened a couple years ago.

Yes. 60 WPM minimum. Our company has recently increased it to 65 WPM, but the FCC regulated 60.

60 WPM? Really? I don't believe that. I have made many relay calls where the operator types REALLY slow, like around 20 WPM. I know, because I can and do type about 65 wpm and that is way much faster than what the operator usually types. It takes me less than 20 seconds to type out an entire sentence. They take about a minute to type out the whole sentence. I don't have time for that.

They go like this:

Hello.................... *name of company*.................my name............. is *name*................how may...............I help................you q ga

(every "................" is about 10 seconds)

I don't have the time for that. Is that really so difficult to type the whole damn thing within 30 seconds like I can?

Relay operators used to be so much faster than that in the past. Their wpm have really deteriorated so much in the last three years or so. :shock:

I'm not trying to be rude here, or being mean at all, but that is what I have noticed lately, and it does not help, because while the operator is typing out the whole sentence, the person on the other end that I am calling is waiting for *my* response. They end up hanging up because they haven't heard my response yet because by the time the operator has completed typing out the sentence, about a minute has passed. They are going to think that this is a prank call, and hang up. That does NOT help, especially if I am on an extremely important call, and I had been on hold for about 20 minutes, and when I finally get someone on the line, they end up hanging up because of this, and I have to call back AND wait ANOTHER 20 minutes before I can get someone on the line AGAIN. I can't do that over and over and over. It is REALLY frustrating. Really. And no, again, I am NOT being mean or rude. It's just the truth. I'm sorry, but I have to say it.

Do you guys really enjoy bashing others? Sure does seem like it.

kind of like the way you accused me of not being an open minded democrat in one of the political threads? :cool2:

lucia is expressing her opinion. she's not attacking anyone. :roll:

60 WPM? Really? I don't believe that. I have made many relay calls where the operator types REALLY slow, like around 20 WPM. I know, because I can and do type about 65 wpm and that is way much faster than what the operator usually types. It takes me less than 20 seconds to type out an entire sentence. They take about a minute to type out the whole sentence. I don't have time for that.

They go like this:

Hello.................... *name of company*.................my name............. is *name*................how may...............I help................you q ga

(every "................" is about 10 seconds)

I don't have the time for that. Is that really so difficult to type the whole damn thing within 30 seconds like I can?

Relay operators used to be so much faster than that in the past. Their wpm have really deteriorated so much in the last three years or so. :shock:

I'm not trying to be rude here, or being mean at all, but that is what I have noticed lately, and it does not help, because while the operator is typing out the whole sentence, the person on the other end that I am calling is waiting for *my* response. They end up hanging up because they haven't heard my response yet because by the time the operator has completed typing out the sentence, about a minute has passed. They are going to think that this is a prank call, and hang up. That does NOT help, especially if I am on an extremely important call, and I had been on hold for about 20 minutes, and when I finally get someone on the line, they end up hanging up because of this, and I have to call back AND wait ANOTHER 20 minutes before I can get someone on the line AGAIN. I can't do that over and over and over. It is REALLY frustrating. Really. And no, again, I am NOT being mean or rude. It's just the truth. I'm sorry, but I have to say it.

I believe it may be other reason that ping isn't feedback well. It could be the person who respond is terrible or it's stupid software or stupid server.

I sure miss my old day on TTY that I feel much comfortable on live-typing instead instant message every time which is annoying.

I believe it may be other reason that ping isn't feedback well. It could be the person who respond is terrible or it's stupid software or stupid server.

I sure miss my old day on TTY that I feel much comfortable on live-typing instead instant message every time which is annoying.

poweron,

why don't you buy an old tty from ebay?

from time to time i still use my telebraille (braille tty) because in some ways, i like 711 better than ip relay.

poweron,

why don't you buy an old tty from ebay?

from time to time i still use my telebraille (braille tty) because in some ways, i like 711 better than ip relay.

I already have TTY with built-in cellphone connect, for in case. TTY relay is better than both high-tech. Strange, isn't it? lol

It's like electric roll up the window in car that could go wrong while the manual roll up window is no problem.

I already have TTY with built-in cellphone connect, for in case. TTY relay is better than both high-tech. Strange, isn't it? lol

It's like electric roll up the window in car that could go wrong while the manual roll up window is no problem.

true. you'd think ip relay would be better than 711, but it's not (imo).

don't get me wrong...i appreciate ip relay. i just have my preferences as to which relay service i like best.

good comparison! :)

Back