Ask a Relay Opr!

It sounds to me like the OP wants attention more than respect. Attention you will get but it won't always be nice.

Brad, please hang on to your smarminess so the rest of us can get some benefit out of this thread, thanks.

i have a question. there have been a few times where i've had to retype the reason for my call after being redirected to several additional hearing people to handle my call. is it permissible for me to tell the ca to read what i've typed by telling them, "please re-read the statement that begins with..." or should i simply retype the purpose of my call? just wondering what the polite protocol would be?

You know, this doesn't really matter to ME personally, other than if you have to type it out every time it makes the call take longer (Yeah, we kinda get impatient with long calls too, we like free time between calls! :lol:). For your sake, I think the best thing for you to do to expedite the call process is give the information beforehand. Be specific, like "Opr, everytime a new person answers the phone, say this: blahblah".

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking the operator to repeat something either though, so either one would be fine with me.

I feel a bit like a broken record, because I say that all of these things can be resolved by telling it to the operator, but I think that lack of communication really is what leads to a lot of the problems with the relay process. This service is essentially about you, the customer. We can customer tailor the experience to how you want it (to a point), but just remember that you have to let us know what you want.

Brad, please hang on to your smarminess so the rest of us can get some benefit out of this thread, thanks.

Well just look at the name of the person, which obviously points to "Angry Operator" in shorthand.

I'm not going to argue with you. I'll just disagree.

I am a Relay Opr. I am no longer angry. No, I do not HATE deaf people. Ask me questions about relay service, phone calls, etiquette, or the hearing world in general! Hopefully it will make everything smoother when I'm making a call for you someday!

Just reposting the first post of this thread.

Then, Tousi, perhaps you should have hung on to some of your own smarminess (on page 3) so the rest of of us can get some benefit out of this thread, thanks.

could we please continue to have a civilized discussion? i know i've been guilty in other threads of bickering back and forth with others, but i'd hate to have this thread closed because of a few people who want to debate the meaning of angryopr's username.

You know, this doesn't really matter to ME personally, other than if you have to type it out every time it makes the call take longer (Yeah, we kinda get impatient with long calls too, we like free time between calls! :lol:). For your sake, I think the best thing for you to do to expedite the call process is give the information beforehand. Be specific, like "Opr, everytime a new person answers the phone, say this: blahblah".

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking the operator to repeat something either though, so either one would be fine with me.

I feel a bit like a broken record, because I say that all of these things can be resolved by telling it to the operator, but I think that lack of communication really is what leads to a lot of the problems with the relay process. This service is essentially about you, the customer. We can customer tailor the experience to how you want it (to a point), but just remember that you have to let us know what you want.

will do. thanks for your reply! <smile>

could we please continue to have a civilized discussion?

We sure can. :)

i know i've been guilty in other threads of bickering back and forth with others, but i'd hate to have this thread closed because of a few people who want to debate the meaning of angryopr's username.

There's no debate on that. Just questioning the purpose of someone who works for a relay service, using AD to vent to Deaf people.

Then, Tousi, perhaps you should have hung on to some of your own smarminess (on page 3) so the rest of of us can get some benefit out of this thread, thanks.

I wasn't detracting from the thread; furthermore, I didn't respond to your post that was close to mine back there.

For some reason this thread is making me laugh. But back on topic:

If one is completely new to relay, what should their first action be when they connect to an operator?

Back