Any body like to fly?

Let me put it this way, if it weren't for my hearing situation, I would have loved to be a fighter pilot!

800px-F-22F119.JPG

It's politics, sometimes it's necessary. Would you let terrorists responsible for 9/11 live?

wwhhooooaa let's not get into dirty politic again. MX757 meant that he would love to fly that fighter jet (in other word - an awesome jet with 2 insane turbine engines) for exhilaration. :cool2: and so would I!!

No time tonight to read the whole thread, but I'm wondering (no offense to anyone!!) how do we deafies get a pilot's license? Don't we have to talk to control towers?

Do we get to fly only to airports without control towers? Then we can do that, right? Anyone tell me? Thanks in advance!

I've handled a few planes but never solo or longer than five minutes that kind of thing. At least it is PRETTY COOL! Especially the weightless rides in a small plane and a jet. Even a 10,000 ft drop! Whoooooo!!!!!

MX757 explained previously on that issue. There are 2 licenses or something. For deafies, flight license means you are qualified to fly but there is another license or something that you need to be certified for using radio communication. We are not required to have that along with flight license.

In short - we can get flight license to fly planes but we are not allowed to fly around airspace that requires radio communication - typically major airports. There are TONS of airfields that do not have control towers so it's not a problem for most of deaf flyers.

MX757 - correct me on this if I'm wrong. This is his previous post -
"Its not required to commicate with the tower at non tower airports even tower controlled airport they will give you light gun signals to land or take off or hold on ground or hold and circle in air..

How can you fly if you cannot hear on the radio?
Airports (and airspace) can be of two kinds: controlled or uncontrolled. Pilots operating at controlled airports or in controlled airspace are required to be in radio contact with Air Traffic Control (ATC). At uncontrolled airports, however, pilots are only encouraged, but not required, to use their radio to directly advise other pilots in the area of their positions and intentions. Thus, deaf pilots are able to fly into and out of uncontrolled airports without using the radio. (Uncontrolled airports are also called nontowered airports.)

What kind of limitations are placed on your pilot certificate?
When issuing a pilot certificate to an otherwise qualified deaf person, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) imposes a limitation: Not Valid for Flights Requiring the Use of Radio.

Isn’t that a big limitation?
No. You may be surprised to learn that of more than 13,000 airports in the United States, less than 700 have control towers. All the other 12,300 airports are uncontrolled and accessible to deaf pilots.

If a deaf pilot wants to fly into a controlled airport, he or she can bring along a qualified co-pilot or flight instructor who can handle the necessary radio communications with ATC. Sometimes, special arrangements for a "no-radio arrival" (or departure), using light signals, can be made with the control tower in advance."

Few times, I rode on small plane and one time rode helicopter.
Once, I was semi-pilot on sailplane for a hour at Oahu Hawaii.

All my life, I always want to try pilot on small plane.
Love to fly..... above from many people on the land.

I wonder how many deaf people has pilot certificate?
Can or Can't fly at night. I seem that they do not have any special light at private runaway (uncontrolled airports)

That's interesting.

I think I remember a deaf man wrote his posts on Alldeaf a few years ago. He owns a small airplane, and he flew a lot for several years. I don't remember his username in this forum. He posted to show us some pictures of his airplane and a view of land from the sky. Maybe, you will find his username somehow so that you could contact him...

I wonder how many deaf people has pilot certificate?
Can or Can't fly at night. I seem that they do not have any special light at private runaway (uncontrolled airports)

you can fly at night if your deaf... lot of uncontrolled airports the runway lights are activated by keying the mike on unicom frenqz. 5 times in so many seconds.. it turns the lights on for 30 minutes, I like to fly at night, but there are trade offs... if your engine quits its much harder to pick & set up for off field landing... the "special light" your talking about is a "signall light gun" that they use at tower controlled airports to signal you to come in to land if your deaf or if your radio is inoperative / broken.
Friend of mine who works for the FAA told me there are about 100 deaf pilots in FAA records he said most of them are long dead.. says that there are only about 50 of us deaf pilots active today. sounds about right considering a private pilots rating today will run you at least $5000.00 to earn. lot people don't have the time & money to work towards a private pilot rating...

MX757... thank you for information.

I remember that one NTID/RIT student has experience flying plane. I forget his name and where from.

I'm not afraid of flying. In fact, I can sleep easily on the plane when it takes off and lands... while people around me are grabbing their armrests and looking out the windows with fear and tension! ;)

I guess it's cuz I've been flying planes since I was a little kid. :)

I'm not afraid of flying. In fact, I can sleep easily on the plane when it takes off and lands... while people around me are grabbing their armrests and looking out the windows with fear and tension! ;)

Really? ... even during turbulence or stormy weather?

Well. What if a deaf terrorist taps you back waking you up and tells you to get your ass off the plane right now? Never mind, you were having a dream.

Fun!!! better than 6 flags. :)

March 1983, we rode small plane has approx 24 seats without jet (kind like Indian Jones was in long travel) during heavy storm storm from Buffalo to Philadelphia.

Few times, we rode airline during thunderstorm/strong wind or land with some ice. Most airline pilots did great job without I worry.

Spring 1977, we arrived Kansas City airport with very heavy fog. Same day, two 747 had bad accident at Canary Island.

Sept 1983 or 85, we arrived Paris. Same day, Soviet shot Korea Airline "KAL 007" down.

I have been in 40 states, europe and Colombia (south america).

I always want to pilot from town to town. No worry about cop wait for speed driver on highway.

MX757... thank you for information.

I remember that one NTID/RIT student has experience flying plane. I forget his name and where from.

that might be me your thinking of.. I used to attend NTID Dan McCann and Paul Fox used to fly with me often..everyone else was afraid we'd crash or something and wouldn't fly with us.

oh yea I love it when the heavy's (767 / 777 or MD-80s are bunching around in the turbulence or stormy weather..... puts me right to sleep. I know its not going to hurt airplane and crew has it on autopilot which keeps it as level as possiable.... they rather do that than fight it.. plus autopilot does better job of keeping it steady / smooth in turbulence (alituide hold)

but the small Cessna air too light(weight) they get tossed around pretty good sometimes...

same here. the more it shakes, the faster I fall asleep... reminds me of rocking crib :o

Back