Any body like to fly?

What kind of engine that drives the propeller in your censsa? I'm curious. ;)

Older Cessna 172 have Continental O-300 (300 cubic inch) flat 6 cylinder opposed air cooled engines, newer models have Textron Lycoming IO-360 (360 Cubic inches) L2A 6 cylinder opposed aircooled engines., with McCauley propeller. some Cessna 172's came with 4 Cylinder flat aircooled engines.

Attachments

• Cont 0300.JPG
    Cont 0300.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Textron Lycoming IO-360.jpg
    Textron Lycoming IO-360.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 10
Light Signals
Air traffic controllers have a backup system for communicating with pilots if the aircraft's or controller's radios fail or if they are deaf. Controllers use a light gun with different colors to tell pilots what to do.

n the case of a radio failure or aircraft not equipped with a radio,or deaf pilots, air traffic control may use a light gun to direct the aircraft. The light gun has a focused bright beam and is capable of emitting three different colors: red, white and green. These colors may be flashed or steady, and have different meanings to aircraft in flight or on the ground. Planes can acknowledge the instruction by wiggling their wings, moving the ailerons if on the ground, or by flashing their landing or navigation lights during hours of darkness.

Aircraft in flight Aircraft on the ground Ground vehicles or personnel
Flashing white N/A Return to starting point Return to starting point
Steady green Cleared to land Cleared for takeoff Cleared to cross/proceed
Flashing green Cleared to approach airport, or return to land Cleared to taxi N/A
Steady red Continue circling, give way to other aircraft Stop Stop
Flashing red Airport unsafe, do not land Immediately taxi clear of runway in use Clear the taxiway/runway
Alternating red and green Exercise extreme caution Exercise extreme caution Exercise extreme caution
Red-red-green sequence Visual Warning System [1] N/A N/A
Blinking runway lights Vehicles, planes, and pedestrians immediately clear landing area in use

That's very interesting. I didn't know that but I appericate it, mx757.

just wondering seems everyone afraid fly in small Cessna...
wish more deaf would fly....
I fly alone too often... no one wants to go..

I am an aviation photographer of commercial airplanes (over 3,000 pictures taken since 1999). I take pictures of them because I love airplanes and really wanted to be a pilot and unable to because of my hearing loss. I have been on 172 for the first time with my uncle's friend when I visited him few years ago in St. Louis. It was a surprise ride. The pilot taught me some features about the 172 and I was very interesting. We flew to and landed in 3 small private airports and one at BIG Lambert Field in StL!!! I am into big airplanes like the 737-200 and up, 747's, McDoanald Douglasses and more. Cessna 172 is nice to fly. Couldnt be flown higher than 12,000 feet??? right?? Being in an airplane is really F-U-N!!!

Older Cessna 172 have Continental O-300 (300 cubic inch) flat 6 cylinder opposed air cooled engines, newer models have Textron Lycoming IO-360 (360 Cubic inches) L2A 6 cylinder opposed aircooled engines., with McCauley propeller. some Cessna 172's came with 4 Cylinder flat aircooled engines.

Man, that's a really big 6 cylinder boxer engine. Don't any of small planes run on a mazda rotary engines, I heard they're more reliable than a piston engine for aircraft.

Ahh been first time on small plane at deaf camp in 1997 for short time not for long like 10 to 20 mins that it I think cuz time limit for other kids and staffs go on small plane which I was voltueer (spelling) counsellor one to one with one student it was awesome!!! :lol: for on big airplane never been on before :lol:

Man, that's a really big 6 cylinder boxer engine. Don't any of small planes run on a mazda rotary engines, I heard they're more reliable than a piston engine for aircraft.

There are few home built experimental aircraft using Mazda "Wankle" Rotary engines, but I'm not aware of any Cessna 172 powered by them it would cost too much to get the STC (supplemental type Certficates) and testing done.

see: Mazda Wankel 13B Engine Aircraft Use

as for me I'd stick with the Lycoming engines....for the Cessna 172..

I am an aviation photographer of commercial airplanes (over 3,000 pictures taken since 1999). I take pictures of them because I love airplanes and really wanted to be a pilot and unable to because of my hearing loss. I have been on 172 for the first time with my uncle's friend when I visited him few years ago in St. Louis. It was a surprise ride. The pilot taught me some features about the 172 and I was very interesting. We flew to and landed in 3 small private airports and one at BIG Lambert Field in StL!!! I am into big airplanes like the 737-200 and up, 747's, McDoanald Douglasses and more. Cessna 172 is nice to fly. Couldnt be flown higher than 12,000 feet??? right?? Being in an airplane is really F-U-N!!!

St. Louis is my "hometown" I grew up there... never flown into Lambert althought I could have set it up to do so.. I just fly to St. Charles Airport or creve Coure airports which are very close by.

The Cessna 172 service ceiling is about around 12,000 feet maybe 13,500 any higher than that air is just too thin up their and engine can't get enough air to run well.. plus the pilot will need oxygen if at that attitude for more than 30 minutes...to fly higher you need a turbo charged aircraft like the Cessna 182 which has a turbo charger which packs more air into the engine allowing it to fly higher than the non-turbo Cessna 172...
but I find flying on trips at 6000 to 8000feet to be just right...

there no reason why you can't become a pilot.
here the FAA web page with information for deaf pilots..
FAA - Become a Pilot-Deaf Pilot Frequently Asked Questions-Certification

here a photo of the Arch in st Louis it dead ahead just in front of the nose of the aircraft...

and of us in the aircraft flying...note in 4th photo, I'm standing next to the aircraft with my friend yep thats me the deaf / left arm amputee pilot. 5th and last photo are group of other deaf pilots. I don't have any problem flying the airplane being deaf or left arm amputee...

Attachments

• DSCN0522.jpg
    DSCN0522.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN0523.jpg
    DSCN0523.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0521.jpg
    DSCN0521.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN0524.jpg
    DSCN0524.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN0516.jpg
    DSCN0516.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 13
interesting...

its scary to fly sometimes for me.

thanks for sharing the pictures.. looks awesome. :)

interesting...

its scary to fly sometimes for me.

thanks for sharing the pictures.. looks awesome. :)

sorry you feel its scary.. maybe if you understood more about aircraft how it works and what each control is for you'd enjoy it more???

nah.. I don't play around while flying...but there might be a girl that wants be a member of mile high club.... I just like to fly for fun.. its very relaxing..but seems deaf won't do much other than go to their little clubs...

LOL, I was also joking about that line. Just thought it would get a laugh or two. I also understand, don't want to fool-around that far up like that. Something could go wrong and have a bad outcome. I have been to 1 plane crash with my fire department and heard about a few more and all where bad. Some of the people where lucky getting out.

On a good note, mile per mile, flying is still the safest mode for transportation. People have a higher chance into getting into a bad car crash then into a plane crash.

Sure, poweron...

I will take you to fly then I will use twist the fly over sky then you will be SCARED OFF!!!

j/k

mx757, what are other plane have you flown as a pilot? Long time ago, my parent's cessna 172 were in for a service and my parent has to hire another plane, a Piper Cherokee. That one is the wings at the bottom (cessna is with wings at the top) and I like that plane too. Have you flown that plane before?

Also what do you think of the redbull air race planes? They are so small and fit only one person in it. They were here in Perth, Western Australia last year but I didn't get to see it. They are on again this year in November and hopefully I will see it. Here is the website - Red Bull Air Race 2007

mx757, what are other plane have you flown as a pilot? Long time ago, my parent's cessna 172 were in for a service and my parent has to hire another plane, a Piper Cherokee. That one is the wings at the bottom (cessna is with wings at the top) and I like that plane too. Have you flown that plane before?

Also what do you think of the redbull air race planes? They are so small and fit only one person in it. They were here in Perth, Western Australia last year but I didn't get to see it. They are on again this year in November and hopefully I will see it. Here is the website - Red Bull Air Race 2007

I've flown cessna 150 152 172 177 182 and 210 and the Cessna 180 tail dragger and the Grumman tigers and cheetas airplanes (I liked those but they hard hard to find for rent) and Piper single engines. I don't like the pipers much they are ok...Low wing blocks your view of ground I like the high wing aircraft I've also flown 727 and 767 / 777 in airline flight simulators... fun you feel like your flying the real thing! I get to taxi on ramp the 767 as part of my job..and have been in the 767 / 757 jumpseat on test flights as aircraft came out of overhaul

I skydive too and have lots of jumps out Casa 212 C-130 and yes even rear stairs of a 727 like DB Copper

as for the air race planes.. fun but they cost more money to fly than I can afford...

Another way to umm.. fly

Another way to umm.. fly

Attachments

• MIKE'S PROSTHETIC JUMP 6-23-05 012.jpg
    MIKE'S PROSTHETIC JUMP 6-23-05 012.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 9
  • MIKE'S PROSTHETIC JUMP 6-23-05 013.jpg
    MIKE'S PROSTHETIC JUMP 6-23-05 013.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 7
  • MIKE'S PROSTHETIC JUMP 6-23-05 029.jpg
    MIKE'S PROSTHETIC JUMP 6-23-05 029.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 9
other planes

here is the AA-5B Tiger. The canopy slides back.. no doors.
nice airplane. seats 4 two in front / two in rear

Attachments

• tiger.jpg
    tiger.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 4
  • tiger panel.jpg
    tiger panel.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 5
Cool!! I am usually sit in flying a big airport but never been in a small airport:):):)!

There are few home built experimental aircraft using Mazda "Wankle" Rotary engines, but I'm not aware of any Cessna 172 powered by them it would cost too much to get the STC (supplemental type Certficates) and testing done.

see: Mazda Wankel 13B Engine Aircraft Use

as for me I'd stick with the Lycoming engines....for the Cessna 172..

Thanks for the link and it was a interesting read about them. :)

Back