Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

they'd get the idea I was some sort of snob because I'd never talk. Ugh.

Some of the people who work with my mom thought she was stuck up when she wouldn't respond to them. Thankfully, they got over that when they realized she was HOH.

Wirelessly posted (dorothybaez)

deafskeptic said:
You remind me of my big sister's MIL. My sister told me that when MIL got mad at her hubby, she would throw his clothes out the window.

I would never do that unless I really meant it. :)

Last edited:
Anytime I go into a fast food place, I just read the menu and ignore the employee at first. Then, I only make eye contact once I've decided. Then I give my order with specifics.
"Footlong italian bmt with pepperjack cheese, toasted. Chipotle, honey mustard, lettuce, tomato, pickles, olives, jalepenos, banana peppers. Large drink, blue Doritos, broccoli cheese soup." I give the order in parts in Subway, but everywhere else, generally, they get it.
Employees generally ask the same questions over and over. I worked at subway long enough to figure that out.

i find people hate repeating themselves. idk why it's such a big deal, they just do. it doesnt matter if your deaf or hearing..they just dont like it. the world has grown so impatient and everyone in it doesnt want to bother with you if you dont catch things the first time. so ur constantly struggling to keep up with everyone. it's like ur running up moving stairs and staying still, going no where. that scares me.

her response is part of why... I'm not sure we are going to be together for much longer... "Oh yes, I know... it is really hard... but we are working through it. I'm trying to get her to speak better, so she is easier to understand."

Its pissing me off... it seems like everything is so hard on HER... like i should bow down to her because she is the one who is in a relationship with me... she doesn't understand I have to dumb down my conversations, especially in sign, for her to understand...

On a different note... yesterday with a group of hearing people, I was trying to tell them how happy I was that I was given a terp for my doc apt and that I was given a terp for the meeting with my new school... and they said... "well you are understanding us right now... so why do you need a terp in school or at the doctors..."
*face palm*
and trying to explain to them that I'm only picking up every few words, and trying to make something meaningful out of it... it just wasn't happening... so I got up and left... sometimes (most of the time)... hearing people really just don't understand...

That is *such* BS!! Kick the significant other to the curb. :roll:

^^^I agree. Take the initiative and dump her ass! Yikes.

I love when the social security office calls me for a review and they ask "Do you still have your disability?" I'm deaf... it doesn't go away. They should really make a note of that for every case!

It's a miracle! :laugh2:

^^^Bureaucracy... isn't it a *beautiful* thing?

Sad, but I'm sure they have to ask; as dumb as it sounds. (It's rare, but not unheard of, for the blind to regain sight.)

We have to make sure our deaf kids are still deaf at least every three years for reevals for special education services...it is a little funny.

Understand. I have to verify every year my son's needs for the "little" bus. Right now Alec is in between being able to walk and needing a wheel chair. We're trying to keep him ambulatory as long as we can... but if he needs a wheelchair the school will need to verify every year that he's still in a chair.

I get a letter from Social Security every 3 years asking if there is a change in my hearing. Can't get any worse than it is since I am 100% deaf. I did send all the paperwork to let them also know about my mobility issues and they will be sending me for testing and such for that. They then thanked me for the update.

Well, I was asked by a pre-admissions doctor if I "snored"....I told him I had no idea..becauz I've never "heard" myself snore and he might want to ask my doggie (as she sleeps with me)....to find out "why" she always moves to the end of the bed. :giggle:...so it was off for chest x-rays....

no annoying hearing people stories here today...had a good day with hearing non-signers with my son's friends' parents. They were all very very patient and accepting of my deafness. I am thinking I seriously lucked out in picking this community to buy our house in. I havent had any issues with ignorance from any of the hearing people in my community so far...*knock on wood*

Understand. I have to verify every year my son's needs for the "little" bus. Right now Alec is in between being able to walk and needing a wheel chair. We're trying to keep him ambulatory as long as we can... but if he needs a wheelchair the school will need to verify every year that he's still in a chair.

Seems they could take a good look and fugure that one out!:P

Back