Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

What did she do that was so special?

I told her I can't hear her call out the order for the customer because I'm deaf (I simplify it in public) and she brought my meal out to me with a big smile on her face and was very nice about it.

I usually get the rolling eyes and the looks of people who think I have asked them to jump through a flaming hoop. If they accommodate they act like they literally had to go a mile out of their way to do it and they make sure I know about it.

The lady at Macca's? Total opposite. She was definitely a fresh breath of air!

^^^Definitely tell them! Mention her name if you know it. I believe in spreading kudos to those who go above and beyond. Too many times businesses only hear complaints, not positive thoughts.

Wirelessly posted (dorothybaez)

Like being attractive helps me hear better.

It's also amusing when strangers tell my husband and I how great it is that he married me.....

OMG!! Seriously? Geez, make angry. Like Deaf people should be *SO* thankful that these 'hearies' are willing to take us on. Gawd!!!!!!!!!!!

^^^Definitely tell them! Mention her name if you know it. I believe in spreading kudos to those who go above and beyond. Too many times businesses only hear complaints, not positive thoughts.

I agree. Work in environment where always criticized. Nice when compliments come along. Always to that when situation arise to do that.

OMG!! Seriously? Geez, make angry. Like Deaf people should be *SO* thankful that these 'hearies' are willing to take us on. Gawd!!!!!!!!!!!

and whats even worse... when the hearies who "take us on" try and make it that way... My SO (for now anyways) tries to make me lip read all the time when we are alone together... then when we are around someone at her school (she is a teacher) then she... *tries* to interperate... really... really... badly... and because I'm Deaf... her school is starting to think that she is like this amazing sign language master or something... and I remember when we were around her director... her director actually told her infront of me... "oh you are such a good person for being involved with a deaf person... it must be so hard on you" WTF...

ASH345, your ENT has idiots working there. Great about the interp.

I'm an ASL student and here's my ignorant hearing people story:

When people at work found out I was studying ASL and wanted to become an interp, this is what I got:

1. Why don't Deaf people just write stuff down?
2. All Deaf people read lips.
3. Do you have to learn Spanish too? :confused:
4. Well, it'll be really, really quiet.
5. Isn't it just a lot of flapping your hands in the air?
6. Isn't that what closed-captioning if for?
7. Do you have to learn braille too?
8. Are there still Deaf people? Didn't they all get that hearing thing?? (they
meant CI - took me a while to figure out what they meant)
9. Are you going to be working on the show Switched at Birth? Or with Marlee
Matlin?

I always thought my co-workers were idiots; now I know it for sure.

Your co-workers really asked you all those questions? That's crazy. They probably all watched one of the Xtranormal videos on you tube.

Silly people.

and whats even worse... when the hearies who "take us on" try and make it that way... My SO (for now anyways) tries to make me lip read all the time when we are alone together... then when we are around someone at her school (she is a teacher) then she... *tries* to interperate... really... really... badly... and because I'm Deaf... her school is starting to think that she is like this amazing sign language master or something... and I remember when we were around her director... her director actually told her infront of me... "oh you are such a good person for being involved with a deaf person... it must be so hard on you" WTF...

What was her response to the director?

What was her response to the director?

her response is part of why... I'm not sure we are going to be together for much longer... "Oh yes, I know... it is really hard... but we are working through it. I'm trying to get her to speak better, so she is easier to understand."

Its pissing me off... it seems like everything is so hard on HER... like i should bow down to her because she is the one who is in a relationship with me... she doesn't understand I have to dumb down my conversations, especially in sign, for her to understand...

On a different note... yesterday with a group of hearing people, I was trying to tell them how happy I was that I was given a terp for my doc apt and that I was given a terp for the meeting with my new school... and they said... "well you are understanding us right now... so why do you need a terp in school or at the doctors..."
*face palm*
and trying to explain to them that I'm only picking up every few words, and trying to make something meaningful out of it... it just wasn't happening... so I got up and left... sometimes (most of the time)... hearing people really just don't understand...

Sometimes I have similar conversations ASH. I just smile and say that I'm pretty good at guessing --but I don't always want to rely on guessing all the time. Such as in a classroom, legal situation, etc.

KISS, with a smile. I didn't sign up to be a teacher, but I find that I'm the one doing the educating pretty frequently. {shrug}

ASH345, I am certainly no expert in relationships (could tell you horror stories about some of the guys I've dated...) but your SO sounds like a real winner (not!) Trying to get you to speak better?!?! What?!? :shock:

CSign, don't know what Xtranormal videos are on YouTube (will look in a minute), but that was just a sample of the idiotic things my co-workers have said to me. Some of them were so rude, I would be afraid to post them here. Why are people so stupid?

her response is part of why... I'm not sure we are going to be together for much longer... "Oh yes, I know... it is really hard... but we are working through it. I'm trying to get her to speak better, so she is easier to understand."

That's really creepy. :ugh:

Ash- I agree with Bott. What would be the appropriate saying? "Train go, sorry" or she has "missed the boat". How on earth could a person make such a ridiculous statement after being closely involved with someone who is Deaf? I hope she reflects on her comments, and that you are able to enlighten her or move on.

ASH345, I am certainly no expert in relationships (could tell you horror stories about some of the guys I've dated...) but your SO sounds like a real winner (not!) Trying to get you to speak better?!?! What?!? :shock:

CSign, don't know what Xtranormal videos are on YouTube (will look in a minute), but that was just a sample of the idiotic things my co-workers have said to me. Some of them were so rude, I would be afraid to post them here. Why are people so stupid?

They are funny videos on YouTube that are user submitted. Most if those comments you listed I've seen on those videos. They are highly amusing.

I love when the social security office calls me for a review and they ask "Do you still have your disability?" I'm deaf... it doesn't go away. They should really make a note of that for every case!

I can't find the original quote about getting bothered by being in a group of people and getting ignored when we want to interject something because the hearies don't want to take it upon themselves the "extra effort" of including us.

I've experienced that time and time again and as a result, never made friends in college (I'm HoH, went to school for Fashion Design at a state university) because we would all stand around the fabric cutting table and talk and I could never keep up with the conversation and no one wanted to help me OR they'd get the idea I was some sort of snob because I'd never talk. Ugh.

So I try to tell myself, "Look, you do have a handful of friends. They are your true friends because they didn't let your hearing get in the way of wanting to be your friend." It's almost like a great "real/fake" friend detector! Well, that makes me feel better sometimes, but there are other times I just get frustrated and feel horrible and lonely.

ash345 said:

If my husband said something like that, his clothes would be all over the front lawn.

Last edited:

If my husband said something like that, his clothes would be all over the front lawn.

You remind me of my big sister's MIL. My sister told me that when MIL got mad at her hubby, she would throw his clothes out the window.

I can't find the original quote about getting bothered by being in a group of people and getting ignored when we want to interject something because the hearies don't want to take it upon themselves the "extra effort" of including us.

I've experienced that time and time again and as a result, never made friends in college (I'm HoH, went to school for Fashion Design at a state university) because we would all stand around the fabric cutting table and talk and I could never keep up with the conversation and no one wanted to help me OR they'd get the idea I was some sort of snob because I'd never talk. Ugh.

So I try to tell myself, "Look, you do have a handful of friends. They are your true friends because they didn't let your hearing get in the way of wanting to be your friend." It's almost like a great "real/fake" friend detector! Well, that makes me feel better sometimes, but there are other times I just get frustrated and feel horrible and lonely.

I definitely understand. You're right it is sort of a "real/fake" friend detector. But the social life is not as much as it could be.

Have you made any contacts with the deaf community in your area? I just started to, starting in July and I'm glad I did. I'm trying to pick up ASL and get better at that.

Back