Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Hey everyone...got into a little spat with my hearing husband...so I need your opinion.

He says that the VP is not a phone.

I say it is a phone but a different way of using it.

He says that the telephone is a phone and VP is not.

I say that deaf people use it to call so yes, it is a phone.

Who is right?

Dont worry about letting me down if you disagree with me. Just be honest.

Does he also say cell phone is not a phone because we use it to text instead of talk?

Videophone serves the exact same purpose of communicating electronically over distance as the telephone...

I say you win this one.

It's not a TELEPHONE in the STRICTEST sense of the word, if we're getting extremely technical about it. Dictionary.com defines it as: an apparatus, system, or process for transmission of sound or speech to a distant point, especially by an electric device.

A VP does not transmit speech or sound. At least mine didn't. lol.

I think that we just call it a VideoPHONE because that's what makes the most sense to us in our society, if we were to get technical we'd really call it a "Video Transmission Device" or something. But it's just easier to say VideoPhone, and it it serves the same purpose for communication as an actual telephone, just in a different way, so it's not a huge stretch, even if it's not strictly correct.

For example, TDD/TTY were not called telephones or type phones... they were called Teletype Devices. But we still called them "phones" just for the sake of it being easier and used it in the terminology of "I'll call you tonight".

Funny...the definition he used was what you stated in bold...

To me it is a phone, because as a deaf person, I cant use the telephone.

I dont know why he is being stubborn about it. All I can think is, "Who cares if some people refer VP as a phone?"

There are bigger problems in life to worry about.

That's my annoying hearing people story of the day.

:lol:

Does he also say cell phone is not a phone because we use it to text instead of talk?

Videophone serves the exact same purpose of communicating electronically over distance as the telephone...

I say you win this one.

We didnt get there about cell phones...

the argument was becoming ridiculous so I ended it.

Hey everyone...got into a little spat with my hearing husband...so I need your opinion.

Who is right?

Phone

Funny...the definition he used was what you stated in bold...

To me it is a phone, because as a deaf person, I cant use the telephone.

I dont know why he is being stubborn about it. All I can think is, "Who cares if some people refer VP as a phone?"

There are bigger problems in life to worry about.

That's my annoying hearing people story of the day.

:lol:

I agree you is phone, not agree why though. Not able use telephone not why vp is phone. That like say...I not able walk, so therefore my wheelchair is feet. Vp is phone because use for make calls.

A phone is a voice transmission device.
A video phone is a video transmission device.

They are both transmitting data, just different types of data.

Per Dictionary.com phone comes from the Greek language and means voice.

So I get what your husband is saying but I still disagree with him.

Language is a living evolving thing. Millions of people have decided that video phone means uh, well, what it means.

We've always cobbled together new words from words we already have. 100 years or so ago we use to use Greek and Latin to cobble together new words because people still studied those languages in the public schools. So the inventors came up with words like television and telephone. Television and telephone borrowed the Greek words tele (far) and phone (voice).

If Sean Berdy was giving a public performance at Madison Square Garden* to mostly hearing people and someone announced that there would be a slight delay because Berdy had an emergency video phone call, I think everyone would understand the announcement. No one would have to reach for dictionaries or ask their friends what the announcement meant.

Compare that to someone announcing that there would be a slight delay because he had an emergency teleikon call? No one would know what the announcer was talking about even though in 1930 the first videophone was invented and called the ikonophon. (Ikon was borrowed from the Greek language and means "image", so ikonophon means image+voice. )

And people like your husband might still have a problem with using the word "call" in that context -- but really what other word should we use?

And now, years later, people don't think of the word phone meaning "voice" but of a personal device that you use to communicate one on one (unless you're using the conference call or speaker phone feature).

Anyone that has a problem with that will need to bring back Greek and Latin back into the public school curriculum again.

--

* I know that's a far-fetched example -- but it does make the point.

A "smart phone" does more than voice conversations. I call mine a phone, even though I don't use the actual phone part. Maybe the usage of the word "phone" is changing? It's really a piddly point not worth wasting energy on. lol

I'm not saying this to be negative, but my hearing girlfriend often worry that I would be hurt. She asks me if it is ok to listen to her I pod. SHe worries that I would be hurt that she can hear it, but I cannot. However, I always tell her it is ok. I am not hurt. I don't mind.

Oh yeah, I would often text customers about bikes. THey'll tell call me. I want to talk. Why cannot we talk via text??

my kids and neighbors always ask if I mind if they listen to music. I have no problem. If it's something I might know, they will turn it up so I can feel the speakers, but most of the time, it is just for them and I have no problem. I recognize that we each need our own time for reflection, whether it's listening to music, praying, reading or just watching the clouds. We also all react differently to these little things.

Who is right?

Ask him what he thinks the "P" in VP stands for.:lol:

The one I dispise the most is, I make jewelry, I have a son, I drive a car, and do all kinds of things, and people go,
"You're deaf! How cna you drive?" Just like a hearing person can, a foot on the gas pedal, hands on teh steering wheel and driving
"Wait, a deaf person made this necklace? but she's deaf!" Uhm...I'm not phyiscally handicapped that I can'd do anything.
"How can a deaf person have a kid?" Uhm, I can do the same thing a hearing person can do in bed....this goes into that...not very hard is it? LOL

What I hate the most is the ignorance of people. I have met many people that actually believes Deaf people should not be allowed to drive because of our hearing incapability to hear anything. What they don't realize is....uhm hello, us deafies are actually more safer in driving than hearing people are, because we are not easily distracted, unlike the hearings. I often try and educate, but only if they wanna hear it...

Ask him what he thinks the "P" in VP stands for.:lol:

To me the VP is a phone....its called VIDEO PHONE! Tey have it for cellphones for even hearing people these days before it was turned into a special device for deaf people. afterall like someone else said....ask your hubby what P in VP stands for!!!!

I know two hearies "suppose" to know about deaf cos they work with many deaf people. In cinema in UK film names and times to see film and some have (S) for subtitled and some got (AD) for audio description. Two hearies told me there film on that got subtitles and they told me name of film and when and time. I checked and there no (S) at all, just (AD). I got back to them and told them AD is for blind. One of them say oh sorry my mistake. Other one didn't believe me and phoned cinema, cinema told them what audio description is for and finally that hearing person believe me!

I hate be in room two hearies who think "oh Sun deaf, we can fight all we want, she never know" then fight forever. I see your expressions, read your lips, feel tension...DUH!

Back