Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

"How do they let you drive on site? Won't you get run over by heavy haulers if you can't hear them coming until it's too late?"

Honestly if you can't see a truck larger than a house then you have a problem.

and yet, they let him/her drive?? That's scary.

Remind me to say my prayers to Allah(swt) next time I'm in a car on the highway...:laugh2:

Changing the world

WOW, I know this comment will not be popular, but that's never stopped me from saying anything I feel before so...I really do understand your obvious anger with the people each of you mentioned, and all the others who just do not understand deafness. But that's my point, it may be annoying and some may say or do ignorant things, but don't you understand "they, the hearing" just don't get it, and probably never will unless they themselves experience deafness. Each of you have every right to be angered by the things you've had to endure by those who really just can not understand and probably never will. My problem is that instead of behaving like them, ignore them, refuse to do business with them, or just make a statement like, "so sorry if me deafness inconveniences you".

See I know for a fact, that most hearing people will never understand our world. Unless they choose to educate themselves (doubtful), or they or someone close to them becomes deaf. I just don't see anything positive coming out of behaving the same way they are, rude or ignorant. When I was hearing I made the same stupid mistakes most hearing do, I will admit it.
I just really had NO idea what it was like. Then overnight I became profoundly deaf, can't even hear my own voice. My own family who loves me,
didn't know what to say or how to approach me..they had to be taught as I had to learn...I really wish the deaf would take the "higher road" and not resort to the same ignorant type statements, the hearing make to us. It achieves nothing but furthering the anger and misunderstanding. My brother, who I love dearly went to the library and got a sheet on finger spelling and learned to finger spell with both hands..lol..he's amazing. My point being when I came home from the hospital after 2 weeks of testing, and the answer of "well we really do not know why you are deaf" My brother sat with me and taught me to finger spell. He said he saw the terror in my eyes sitting in the hospital bed, crying and screaming (I had no idea how loudly I was talking).
He decided he and I would learn the simplest way to communicate with out writing. I am Blessed to have him. But you see, he chose to educate himself so that we could communicate. Every hearing person in the would should know simple finger spelling. Kids learn it in a few days.
So, I apologize if I have offended any of you, but please, understand the hearing, for the most part do not have a clue to what we are experiencing. Is that their fault for saying these totally ridiculous things...I don't think it is.

I take responsibility for educating those around me, and if they do not want to take the time to learn 26 letters in hand movements..then OK we are going to lose each other or write everything..I just do not think it is fair to
rage on a hearing person who YES, says and does inapropriate or riduculous things because they just can not understand what our lives are like unless they themselves become HOH or deaf. Peace to you all, I do not expect you to agree, but those are my true feelings. Just because I am deaf does not mean I am going to act and/or react with anyless grace or dignity then I had when I was hearing. I myself am still working on Tolerance, but I'm getting there...Midnight♥♥♥♥ (with a little love we can change the world)

I agree with some of what you said, but not all...but that's OK because that is what makes the world go round & makes all humans unique and/or special.

I agree that we as a community of deaf & hard of hearing people have a responsibility to teach those around us how to finger spell and/or a few basic signs. I told everyone when I learned sign(I sign English not ASL-bad teacher not bad student), that if they wanted to hang out with me, they WILL learn sign language, weather they want to or not. The reason being is that(back then & now) I use sign A LOT. Like every other word was sign or maybe I would do nothing but sign & talk at the same time for hours. If they were looking at me, they were seeing sign language. Eventually, when you see enough of it, you will pick it up even if you're not trying to.

Even before I was HOH, I was, & still am, very protective(not the right word) of the deaf & disabled. I am not afraid to stand up & put someone in their place when they disrespect the deaf or disabled. I refuse to back down from an argument...not saying that's the right way to handle it, that's just the way I am. On the other hand, I will bend over backwards to help those in need, & not think twice about it.

So today I went to the Urgent Care clinic because my ear kept bleeding (wouldn't stop)...of course, my eardrum had ruptured. The nurse went on and on about how I might get hearing loss. Dumb bitch didn't even think...I'm using a sign language interpreter because...???

So today I went to the Urgent Care clinic because my ear kept bleeding (wouldn't stop)...of course, my eardrum had ruptured. The nurse went on and on about how I might get hearing loss. Dumb bitch didn't even think...I'm using a sign language interpreter because...???

:lol:

Dang deafbajagal. I'm sorry to hear that. Hope that you feel better soon. Is it ok if I give you tea and sympathy?

Dang deafbajagal. I'm sorry to hear that. Hope that you feel better soon. Is it ok if I give you tea and sympathy?

Hope you feel better soon! A ruptured eardrum sounds really painful.

Had to laugh a bit about that nurse though - how dense can some people be?!

</headesk> :lol:

I'm right where you are... I'm two weeks out from a ruptured ear drum... and it still hurts... I can just see the lady too... "oh your deaf... well you might have some hearing loss with that broken ear drum..."

Wirelessly posted (droid)

My BIL attended his first asl social and he said it was like being in a foreign country. He likes to learn new things so maybe he'll learn asl.
Not an annoying story except that he commented on how much dessert I got. So rude in any culture. *rolls eyes*

Mauritania, just saying............ :giggle:

I'm right where you are... I'm two weeks out from a ruptured ear drum... and it still hurts... I can just see the lady too... "oh your deaf... well you might have some hearing loss with that broken ear drum..."

Ouch! Hope you feel better soon. It really hurts... Ow cow!

A poster here might have them. She told me to go take some, once! :)

Back