Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Why are you deaf people so defensive? I'm a nice hearie. I only want to study you like you're a different species or an interesting specimen. Why won't you let me do that? etc.

*digs in purse* here's a microscope for ya. See if you can catch and trap Jiro. He's small enough to fit comfortably beneath it. ;)

Wirelessly posted (droid)

LOL Jiro would be a good subject.
I love when I bust family members because they don't realize I'm wearing my hearing aids. My boys and their dad collude against me. Too much testerone at my house! I'm so outnumbered.

You know half of the comments and complaints can be blamed on just plain ignorance. I am a "hearie" and I have most likely somewhere in my past said something just as stupid. Here is the kicker, I feel you are rightfully angry, but if ignorance is half the problem and it for at least a lot of these complaints only takes 30 seconds to explain that maybe you would be doing yourself and everyone else around you a huge favor by simply correcting a person. Don't get me wrong and please don't be offended but the deaf community and culture is a foreign nation. The hearing people have spent decades studying your way of life as has people that study the French or Celtic culture. To be fair deaf people are all over the world and not just thousands of miles away.

Case and points:
Unless you are a kid that blasts his music in his car than the correlation to hearing when driving can seem really important. For instance the sirens of emergency vehicles, motorcyclists that can't figure out how to stay out of blind spots. Deaf people are trained to use peripheral (pardon the spelling) vision a thousand times over hearing people. That is the reason that hearing people that speak ASL can’t just focus on your face we have to watch your hands. The normal everyday person doesn't know that.

During my first day of class for ASL I used the term and please forgive my ignorance "hearing impaired" (to us this is politically correct) low and behold that is all wrong and had I said that to a deaf person? I have a lot of respect for the deaf culture and it is only consistently growing greater but this isn't something we can pick up from a 3 page pamphlet. Had I been screamed at been rude to my immediate impression would not have been so good.

Communication for the hearing is verbal, all be it people can be cruel and like I stated before you have every right to your irritation and even for those people that would purposely disrespect anyone let alone you should be hit. But a lot of it is misunderstanding. Miss ordering or getting incorrect food because of a breakdown in communication happens every day regardless of race, level of hearing, or even if you are mute but can hear perfectly.

My point is this, although some people are vicious I find them for the most part to be just as welcoming as you all are. Albeit I have had a lot less contact with the deaf community (something I aim to fix) the real frustration shouldn't be at people. If anything being a little less sensitive and a little more education will only lessen the gap of misunderstanding and difference.

Last but certainly not least because I go to school and am Learning ASL and self studying deaf culture doesn't mean that you are a specimen of an experiment. As previously stated we can go ahead and call the deaf community and culture foreign, with different intricacies (again pardon the spelling), triggers for anger, language, self-expression, ways and styles of life. Being a point of study just means you are interesting, and I'll admit it in a lot of ways I am very jealous about many things. The biggest one is that the deaf community is very close knit in comparison. There are people from all over the World on this website alone and are all willing to be one heck of a support group.

My hope and aim in going to college is to teach high school, and for those students that are hard of hearing or deaf I want them in my class. There is a lot to be said for deaf institutions but a lot of kids, as you all know, are not that fortunate. Although I can guarantee you that a lot less prospects that could be the same bridge to the gap, is dumbed down due to lack of patients and understanding of each other’s circumstance.

I challenge you, all of you, to seek the higher road because in the very end you can only gain from it.

I aware it on staring to people inappropriate I found it people deaf stared to hearing people,
hearing ignored It is very complication!

Wirelessly posted

@ trueup84:
You say you are learning about Deaf culture so,

1. Hearing people have a habit of being annoyingly long-winded - Deaf people usually are short and straight to the point. We don't beat around the bush nor mince our words.

2. Hearing people have an innate habit of telling Deaf people 'how we should behave' when they are barely 'in the door' of Deaf Community and haven't even touched culture yet.
We Deaf don't like it.

....End of cultural lesson.

trueup84 - this thread is where deaf people go to vent and get their peeves off their chest. I find this thread very helpful in that it tells me I'm not alone in my difficulties and many of the stories, as much as I could totally relate, gives me some comic relief and converts my anger to laughter. For example, sunny_signs was saying that at a party, when she had some rum, a woman was concerned that a deaf person shouldn't drink alcohol - one can't help but laugh at the absurdity of how some people think and it's really helpful to be able to find humour instead of always simmering in anger and feeling alone.

Telling us to go take the high road on a thread where deaf people go to share stories and find humour and consolation in each other is not helpful and by the way, very intrusive. This is a thread where deaf people post their stories and get things off their chest, not for hearing people to tell us how we should feel and behave.

Well said, Bec and DeafC.

Trueup84 - welcome to AD. Hope you stick around and learn some stuff. Like the gals said, this is more of a venting thread. Lord knows we need it. As for the high road, we've been on it for a long time. ;)

You know half of the comments and complaints can be blamed on just plain ignorance. I am a "hearie" and I have most likely somewhere in my past said something just as stupid. Here is the kicker, I feel you are rightfully angry, but if ignorance is half the problem and it for at least a lot of these complaints only takes 30 seconds to explain that maybe you would be doing yourself and everyone else around you a huge favor by simply correcting a person. Don't get me wrong and please don't be offended but the deaf community and culture is a foreign nation. The hearing people have spent decades studying your way of life as has people that study the French or Celtic culture. To be fair deaf people are all over the world and not just thousands of miles away.

Case and points:
Unless you are a kid that blasts his music in his car than the correlation to hearing when driving can seem really important. For instance the sirens of emergency vehicles, motorcyclists that can't figure out how to stay out of blind spots. Deaf people are trained to use peripheral (pardon the spelling) vision a thousand times over hearing people. That is the reason that hearing people that speak ASL can’t just focus on your face we have to watch your hands. The normal everyday person doesn't know that.

During my first day of class for ASL I used the term and please forgive my ignorance "hearing impaired" (to us this is politically correct) low and behold that is all wrong and had I said that to a deaf person? I have a lot of respect for the deaf culture and it is only consistently growing greater but this isn't something we can pick up from a 3 page pamphlet. Had I been screamed at been rude to my immediate impression would not have been so good.

Communication for the hearing is verbal, all be it people can be cruel and like I stated before you have every right to your irritation and even for those people that would purposely disrespect anyone let alone you should be hit. But a lot of it is misunderstanding. Miss ordering or getting incorrect food because of a breakdown in communication happens every day regardless of race, level of hearing, or even if you are mute but can hear perfectly.

My point is this, although some people are vicious I find them for the most part to be just as welcoming as you all are. Albeit I have had a lot less contact with the deaf community (something I aim to fix) the real frustration shouldn't be at people. If anything being a little less sensitive and a little more education will only lessen the gap of misunderstanding and difference.

Last but certainly not least because I go to school and am Learning ASL and self studying deaf culture doesn't mean that you are a specimen of an experiment. As previously stated we can go ahead and call the deaf community and culture foreign, with different intricacies (again pardon the spelling), triggers for anger, language, self-expression, ways and styles of life. Being a point of study just means you are interesting, and I'll admit it in a lot of ways I am very jealous about many things. The biggest one is that the deaf community is very close knit in comparison. There are people from all over the World on this website alone and are all willing to be one heck of a support group.

My hope and aim in going to college is to teach high school, and for those students that are hard of hearing or deaf I want them in my class. There is a lot to be said for deaf institutions but a lot of kids, as you all know, are not that fortunate. Although I can guarantee you that a lot less prospects that could be the same bridge to the gap, is dumbed down due to lack of patients and understanding of each other’s circumstance.

I challenge you, all of you, to seek the higher road because in the very end you can only gain from it.

Lordy, lordy, lordy you done got on these deaf people's bad side.

Lordy, lordy, lordy you done got on these deaf people's bad side.

bad side... i'm not sure about that... we are blunt... we do need to vent... and it looks like they just didn't know that. It seems, from the post, another hearing person getting a little defensive. Like Bec said, we don't beat around the bush... and this person needs to learn. We have been on the "high road" for a long time... many of us our whole lives, conforming to what society thinks we should be... as long as this person learns, and doesn't discount our experiences, than I think everything will be ok. (and most the the hearies don't stay around long from what i've seen... a couple weeks at most)

bad side... i'm not sure about that... we are blunt... we do need to vent... and it looks like they just didn't know that. It seems, from the post, another hearing person getting a little defensive. Like Bec said, we don't beat around the bush... and this person needs to learn. We have been on the "high road" for a long time... many of us our whole lives, conforming to what society thinks we should be... as long as this person learns, and doesn't discount our experiences, than I think everything will be ok. (and most the the hearies don't stay around long from what i've seen... a couple weeks at most)

the sentence in bold - very true. Once the novelty wears off, they lose interest and disappear.

Wirelessly posted

@ trueup84:
You say you are learning about Deaf culture so,

1. Hearing people have a habit of being annoyingly long-winded - Deaf people usually are short and straight to the point. We don't beat around the bush nor mince our words.

2. Hearing people have an innate habit of telling Deaf people 'how we should behave' when they are barely 'in the door' of Deaf Community and haven't even touched culture yet.
We Deaf don't like it.

....End of cultural lesson.

:lol: But I read the whole thing! I thought maybe they thought this is where annoying, ignorant, hearing people go to make long speeches!

True: I'm hearing, and I really just read this thread for two reasons: 1, the absurdity of some peoples' actions is kinda funny. 2, it's a good way to know what not to do.

Read more of the threads before you get defensive. I know a lot of the stuff on here is negative, but then, it's supposed to be. It's for people to get stuff off their chests to an audience that truly understands. It's not bashing all hearing people, just the annoying, ignorant ones. Keep this in mind, read through the threads, learn more about the culture. Don't take this thread personally, just learn from it.

Btw, I'm still here, too!

Back