Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

Wirelessly posted (droid)

It's ok. We're a forgiving bunch. We're just blowing off steam.

Blow on. :cool2: Better to blow it off than to kill some unsuspecting hearie. I for one would not wanna be attacked by one of you guys. Y'all have some strong hands from years of signing...I'd be as good as dead. :lol:

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Don't worry SC, I've already met my quota. LOL

Today, I ordered a sub @ subway and this bitch was talking loud. She needs to get a fucking clue how to talk to deaf ppl. I'd rather read lips,ya know. After I told her what dressing I wanted,she put dressing on my sub and then she said really loud, is that all?. I know she was enjoying being such a bitch! I wanted to shove my nutsack in her mouth. Gawd, what a rude whore.

Wow! Language...

I have been in a Subway where the employee was very loud to me as well. The customer behind me was really ticked. I tried and tried to explain that I was total deaf and I could for the most part, read lips if they spoke normally. Eventually, the other customer got pissed off enough that he opened his laptop and got to Word pad and I typed out my order and refused to speak. Now, if I go there again, my order is already written out, but that employee was fired for being belligerent. Seems this customer who helped me reported her to corporate offices.

Im glad to hear the employee was fired. :lol: Thanks for sharing this story with us. I know it is frustrating. I think a lot of times, workers are desperate for a smoke.

Wow! Language...

Forgive me. :)

Last edited:
Blow on. :cool2: Better to blow it off than to kill some unsuspecting hearie. I for one would not wanna be attacked by one of you guys. Y'all have some strong hands from years of signing...I'd be as good as dead. :lol:

Hey, girl! Long time no see!:wave:

though i know what it is like to struggle to understand someone, i cannot say i know what it is like to be deaf. Just like hearies and deafies cannot understand what it is like to hear a noise, but not know what it is/what it means. How hard it is to learn how to talk when the sounds are all the same in your head. How confusing it is when you can't listen to one person when there is several people around you, but you hear everything all together. Crickets outside chirping, fans, lights humming, shuffling, and everyone's conversation.

I really hope this is not taken the wrong way, but sometimes i wish i was either deaf or hearing. Sometimes i feel like i'm in this in between world where i'm not deaf, because i can hear, but i'm not hearing because i can't understand what i hear. If that makes sense? But this is how my life is, so i will make the best of it!

capd?

Sounds like it to me. Daughter went through a lot of this and still does. Biggest difference? My daughter doesn't have the hearing loss, she just has speech recognition issues. All voices sound "fuzzy" to her. She said it's like when talking underwater.

yep - at doctor's office, the doctor was talking to my mom instead of me and I interrupted him - please talk to me. I am your patient, not my mom. He paused for a moment with a surprise awkward look on his face. problem solved.

Yea, my daughter's job is not to interpret for me. I told that lady nicely that she needs to speak to me, not to my daughter but she ignored me. Not good customer service.

I have a "hearing" class this year...:lol:

Arrghhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Not in any relation to any post above. Just something else I read here today.)

What's that? You mean an oral class?

They are interesting...they prefer to express themselves orally but need ASL to understand what is being said to them. They can converse orally, but only on an one-on-one basis. It is in group settings, that they need ASL due to not being able to hear perfectly. However, they forget that I am deaf and need ASL to understand them. I can express myself orally to hearing people with no problem but need ASL on the receptive end so these kids are just like me but they forget that I am deaf. Ironic, heh? They have never had a deaf teacher so it will take time before they realize that they need to use ASL when talking to me. Just kinda funny.

They are interesting...they prefer to express themselves orally but need ASL to understand what is being said to them. They can converse orally, but only on an one-on-one basis. It is in group settings, that they need ASL due to not being able to hear perfectly. However, they forget that I am deaf and need ASL to understand them. I can express myself orally to hearing people with no problem but need ASL on the receptive end so these kids are just like me but they forget that I am deaf. Ironic, heh? They have never had a deaf teacher so it will take time before they realize that they need to use ASL when talking to me. Just kinda funny.

Ha ha, I was like those kids that with my Science teacher who was the first Deaf TOD I ever met when I first came to VSDB.

Ugh. Some of these stories just make me want to :jaw:

I don't like going to Subway for the whole communications issue, and to top it off I'm just exactly the right height that the sandwich maker's mouth is cut off by the top of the glass so I'm forever saying 'huh?' 'what?' When it's extremely busy, forget it.

I may have to do what Kristina is doing - have my orders written out before I go.

I never go to Sonic, flagging down a carhop just makes me look :crazy:

Also, if I'm having a bad day with my speech and I'm trying to order something. I'll get frustrated and get my phone out and type out what I want.

What I don't like is hearies coming up with these 'solutions' for us or they have thought of some great new idea or invention and I'm like - uhm, it's already been invented or it's something we've already been doing for years.

Like the other day my mom said "Wouldn't it be great if there was something out there that had speech recognition and the words that are spoken just show up on your laptop screen?"

I had to give her a look. I half giggling replied "It's already been invented, it's called computer assisted real time captioning. It's otherwise known as CART captioning. A lot of deaf and hard of hearing students use it for lectures at colleges."

Then she has this rejected look and said "Oh."

:giggle:

Silly hearies, don't they know trix are for deafies? LOL

Back